PDA

View Full Version : Using my dowelmax

Ray Schafer
12-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Well, I spent the day building a desk for my daughter. I should be able to complete construction tomorrow. I am putting it together with dowels using the Dowelmax. It is going very well and I have it dry fitted. Tomorrow morning I will cut the drawer bottoms, and glue everything.

I don't have all of the drawer slides, so I will install the drawers and paint over the next couple of weeks.

Here are some pics.

Ray Schafer
12-07-2008, 12:22 AM
This picture shows a set-up jig for setting up two drill bits for 1/2" and 1" depths. I used this for using dowels to join 3/4" ply.

Ray Schafer
12-07-2008, 12:24 AM
This shows my two drills with the two drill bits set up for the two lengths. The other picture shows the set up for using the Dowelmax to install a shelf -- in this case, it is the bottom of the desk pedestal.

Ryan Eldridge
12-08-2008, 1:51 PM
Good pics have any more? I was able to spend justa little time this weekend messing around with my dowelmax. It seems one of my clamp screws wants to keep loosening up so I was getting holes that end up being a little wide.

I have to make sure I check the tightness on those a couple of times before I start to drill.

I like the idea of the depth jig and the two drills set up with the different bits.

I will have to use that.

Bill Huber
12-08-2008, 3:40 PM
Good pics have any more? I was able to spend justa little time this weekend messing around with my dowelmax. It seems one of my clamp screws wants to keep loosening up so I was getting holes that end up being a little wide.

I have to make sure I check the tightness on those a couple of times before I start to drill.

I like the idea of the depth jig and the two drills set up with the different bits.

I will have to use that.

You will get used to tightening the screws, I had the same problem at first but then I just got the hang if it I guess and have no more problems.

There are 3 things that I did that have helped me.

1. Another drill bit and a gauge to set them, its just about like Ryan's.

2. I added some sticky back 400 grit paper to the back or the one plate for clamping helps a lot.

3. I scribed a center line on each end of the main block for working in the middle of a large board.

The DowelMax is one of my favorite tools in the shot, I enjoy use it a lot.

Ryan Eldridge
12-08-2008, 4:20 PM
You will get used to tightening the screws, I had the same problem at first but then I just got the hang if it I guess and have no more problems. ....

2. I added some sticky back 400 grit paper to the back or the one plate for clamping helps a lot.

3. I scribed a center line on each end of the main block for working in the middle of a large board.

Bill I really like these ideas. I had been thinking about scribing a centerline on the block, but I have been a little apprehensive about it because I do not want to mark up the nice shiny chunk of aluminum.

I think I will do that anyway, it is a good idea and I like the sandpaper, I noticed that it was a little slippery on the wood and I bet that would help a ton.

Fred Freitag
12-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I know that you posted your statement about how you use the Dowelmax a long time ago. I just ordered mine and should be receiving it next week sometime.

Could you explain with a little more information about what you meant by what the "3" things?

You will get used to tightening the screws, I had the same problem at first but then I just got the hang if it I guess and have no more problems.

There are 3 things that I did that have helped me.

1. Another drill bit and a gauge to set them, its just about like Ryan's.

The DowelMax is one of my favorite tools in the shot, I enjoy use it a lot.

Bill Huber
12-23-2010, 3:23 PM
I know that you posted your statement about how you use the Dowelmax a long time ago. I just ordered mine and should be receiving it next week sometime.

Could you explain with a little more information about what you meant by what the "3" things?

I do not have the DowelMax any more, I sold it and am now using the Jessem doweling jig, works the same way just larger and made heavier, no shims or spacers, and it is a lot cheaper.

First the Dowel comes with one bit and one collar, when you are putting end grain to the face of a board you have to set the bits and different depths so it is really nice to have 2 bits so you do not have to keep resetting them.

The DowelMax come with a flat plate you can use when doing face work and it slides around really easy so I just put some 400 grit sand paper on it, just like you would do with a fence on a table saw.

The DowelMax does not have a center line on the edges and when you are working on the face of a board it is sure nice to have a center line to line things up with.

Here are some other post that you may want to look at.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153582-Drill-bit-collar-jig-for-Jessem-or-DowelMax-dowel-jigs&highlight=DowelMax

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?107921-DowelMax-Modification.....&highlight=DowelMax

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?117600-DowelMax-mod-2.5...&highlight=DowelMax

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140404-Jessem-s-new-dowel-jig-WOW!!!!&highlight=DowelMax (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140404-Jessem-s-new-dowel-jig-WOW%21%21%21%21&highlight=DowelMax)