PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

Bonnie Campbell
12-06-2008, 5:45 PM
I know, pretty basic thing, an ice cream scoop. But don't we need one to go with all our ice cream bowls? Anyway, does the size and shape look about right? Making these up as gifts. The ugly all metal one is ours to keep lol I kept the base on it in case I need to change the shape, and to finish sanding.....

And if anybody has an idea what kind of wood this is? I got it in a box of scrap woods. Smelled kind of like cinnamon when turning.

Scott Conners
12-06-2008, 5:50 PM
You might consider making the front of the handle not quite so sharp, I often "choke up" on a scoop for more leverage when I'm digging in hard ice cream. Just a thought.

Bill Bolen
12-06-2008, 5:55 PM
I assume that the "knob" on the far left is yet to be trimmed off? Otherwise it is really pretty. Love the classic shape of the overall handle...Bill..

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2008, 11:02 PM
I have one of those metal ones just like in your picture and have to say how much nicer your version is! Pretty wood even though I have no idea what kind it is! Should make for some great gifts! Nice work - have fun turning more!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Great looking scoop Bonnie. I like the bigger handle because with arthritis in my hands small doesn't do it.

James Gillespie, Jr.
12-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Looks good, but I'm not too fond of the knob at the end.

Could the wood be Camphor?

David Walser
12-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Bonnie,

That looks like a beautiful scoop. My only concern is whether someone with a large hand would feel comfortable using it. I just pulled our full-metal scoop out of the drawer. If it's the same size as the one in your picture (they look identical), my hand would not fit between the two bulges on your wooden handle. If it were me, I'd remove the bulge on the end. I like the bulge at the front. It'll help protect the user from getting his or her hand messy with the ice cream.

Just my two cents. YMMV.

Billy Tallant
12-07-2008, 5:13 AM
Great looking scoop. I like the hollow design. The edge by the scoop will definately help to keep your hand from sliding into the ice cream. Nice looking wood grain.

Bonnie Campbell
12-07-2008, 6:58 AM
That's what I really love about forums. So many people with such helpful ideas. Since I have 10 more scoops to get done I'll try incorporating the different suggestions. I'm going to trim the butt down some on this one, but leave the knob. Another I'll not have the full barbell shape (one brothers hands ARE big). Just things I hadn't thought of and I greatly appreciate all the suggestions offered :)

I don't think it'd be camphor wood. That has a liniment smell to it, doesn't it?
This wood had a cinnamon type smell. Pleasant at least.

ROY DICK
12-07-2008, 8:20 AM
sasafrass?

Bonnie Campbell
12-07-2008, 8:26 AM
Noooooo, I have some known sassafras. This must be an 'exotic'. It's the end chunk off a board (cross grain wood?). Never can keep the terms straight. Guess I should of taken a picture of it before I turned it. It does have open grain. Maybe this picture will show the wood better....

Jim Kountz
12-07-2008, 8:34 AM
Good job and an even better gift idea!

Sean Troy
12-07-2008, 10:03 AM
It looks like a type of Mahogany. Could be Honduran Mahogany. Is it a fairly light weight wood?

Bonnie Campbell
12-07-2008, 10:05 AM
No, it's a heavy wood. Wish I could recall who I bought it from. It turned really easy. It's kind of an oily wood too.

Curt Fuller
12-07-2008, 10:43 AM
The wood looks like Cocobolo and your description of the smell and the density backs that up. It's usually darker than that but I've had some that light. Even though it was just by chance, it's a great choice for the scooper handle. It's a very oily wood that can be sanded and buffed to a nice shine without any finish and it will stay that way without a lot of care. Don't try to use a poly finish on it, it will never dry.

The Ice Cream Scoop looks nice too!

Also, is that the scoop from Rockler? Ever since the AAW magazine came out with the article on making scoops they've been sold out.

Bonnie Campbell
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you're right Curt. After thinking about some darker coco I turned this does seem the same, just lighter colored.

Now, if anyone happens upon this sorta boring thread again.... I'm trying to figure what glue would be best to use. The directions say CA or epoxy. Of the two I'd go with the epoxy I think. But what about wood GOOP glue? Would it hold good too? Hate to try it and have someones scoop fall off into their ice cream.......

Ron Lynch
12-07-2008, 4:34 PM
I'm going to say Quina. Bought a small blank from WC and when I turned it, it had a really nice spicy smell and it looked about the same as your handle. Don't have a the bowl or a photo for proof, but that's my guess. Nice job no matter what it is.

ROY DICK
12-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Noooooo, I have some known sassafras. This must be an 'exotic'. It's the end chunk off a board (cross grain wood?). Never can keep the terms straight. Guess I should of taken a picture of it before I turned it. It does have open grain. Maybe this picture will show the wood better....

Exotic sassafras? :D Just kidding Bonnie, I really do like the design of your ice cream scoop tho. Have a good 'un.

Roy