PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Toroid

Richard Madison
12-06-2008, 5:34 PM
Just your basic toroid, not a great one (or combinations) like Malcolm's work. Oak and walnut, 13-1/2" diameter, 60 rings of 12 segments. Needs more finish work and buffing. Also a stand of some kind. The one in the picture is cardboard. Just had to know if I could make one of these, and there was only one way to find out.

Don Carter
12-06-2008, 5:56 PM
Richard:
Now that is cool! Great work. I don't understand how but I know I like it. Is this the symbol of the vortex?;) I would say you can do it. Thanks for showing this beautiful work.
All the best.

Don

Bill Bolen
12-06-2008, 5:56 PM
Now that is impressive!!1 Just wish I had the patience to do segmented work. Love this piece even if I can't pronounce the name!...Bill...

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-06-2008, 6:03 PM
Richard, nice job. The difficulty was certainly increased by having the spials complete themslves. Now that you've done this one, you can now attempt an unlimited set of shapes and designs. Good luvk.

David Sallee
12-06-2008, 6:25 PM
Um.... WOW! Nicely done... I wouldn't even know where to start on doing something like this....

Thanks for sharing
Dave

Steve Mawson
12-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Very nice work. I have been reading Malcom's book but not ready to tackle this project yet. Great work.

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Very impressive work Richard! Nice colors and you did great on all those joints! If you can do this - you can segment just about anything! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Impressive. The wood used and joints look great.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-07-2008, 1:52 AM
Yeah, like you said Richard, a basic toroid, anybody should be able to make one.Outstanding work. Max.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2008, 2:20 AM
Any one who isn't totally confused just hasn't been paying attention...

jim

Jeff Nicol
12-07-2008, 5:46 AM
Richard, I have just one question, how many hours to get it to that point? I am not sure I could do it, as the men with the jacket with extra long arms would come to get me!

Nice work!!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
12-07-2008, 8:37 AM
Basic? Holy cow I call that level of segmented work ADVANCED! Fantastic job!

Jim Becker
12-07-2008, 9:41 AM
Richard, that's wonderful. Nice work!

Curt Fuller
12-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow Richard, that's really something! I think the simple "Toroid" form is what makes it so nice. I gotta admit though, that was the first time I've ever seen the word 'toroid'. I had to google that and I'm still not sure I know what it means. In my truck driver world we call those donuts. Ya learn something new every day!

Matt Wolboldt
12-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Richard,

Is the toroid hollow on the inside or is it a solid piece?

Gary Herrmann
12-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Very nice job. Have to try that some day.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Richard....very well done! I'm sure Malcolm will comment and agree!

PS..my old eyes didn't notice that Malcolm had already commented!:o

Neal Addy
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Great work, Richard! My hat is off.

Dewey Torres
12-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Beautiful piece. Far from basic!

Richard Madison
12-07-2008, 1:02 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate them.

Don, was thinking of calling it "Stargate" because it took me to a new (to me) galaxy of segmenting, but I like your idea of "Into the Vortex".

Malcolm, thank you. Each spiral makes 2-1/2 circuits as it traverses the toroid and then joins a different spiral (I think). Maybe not ready for "unlimited shapes".

Jeff, not sure about actual working hours, but total elapsed time was 12 days. Actual working time was only a fraction of those days. Mostly just waiting for glue to dry. Only put in one really long day.

Curt, the surface created by revolving a circle around a coplanar axis not touching the circle is a torus (outside surface of a doughtnut). The solid volume enclosed by the torus is a toroid (the whole doughnut).

Matt, it is indeed hollow. Each ring was forstner drilled 1-3/4" dia. in order to fit on the sanding jig used to sand the 3 degree angle on each side of each ring, and to create a relatively smooth interior surface.

Thanks again guys.

Mike Golka
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Richard that is amazing, and like Malcolm said your ready for anything!

Richard Madison
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks Mike, and a big congrats on your new lathe. A great Christmas present to yourself!

Skip Spaulding
12-08-2008, 5:46 PM
Richard, Very, Very Nice! A couple of bells and a bow and you have one unique wreath!

Brian Brown
12-08-2008, 5:55 PM
That's really cool! The joints look good, and the accuracy is amazing. I keep thinking that I want to try something like this, then I realize that I am not even close to ready.

Richard Madison
12-08-2008, 8:30 PM
Thanks Skip and Brian.

Brian, if you can make a segmented ring, you can make a toroid. Lacking a thickness sander, I made a simple jig to hold one ring at a time and sand each face of each ring to the 3 degree angle, using a home made disc sander. Well actually just made the disc part and table. Bought the 2 hp. EVS 1642 part.

It was tedious work but still required focus to avoid injury and mistakes. A total of about 6 or 7 hours actual sanding time. Whew!

Malcolm Tibbetts
12-08-2008, 8:52 PM
Richard, before I had a thickness (drum) sander, I made my first one of this style by using a router and jig in order to bevel each ring surface. The router bit markings were easily erased with a little disc sanding. Lots of ways to "skin a cat" (who'd ever want to skin a cat).

Richard Madison
12-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Malcolm,
Thought about doing it that way but decided that by the time each ring was correctly oriented and secured in a router planing jig, it would be as easy to just sand them. It was definitely a toss-up.

Scott Lux
12-09-2008, 9:10 AM
That's spectacular. I broke a brain drive-belt (rubber band) trying to do the math on that one.

Amazing and inspiring. Now that I have a good sander maybe, just maybe, someday if the stars line up...