PDA

View Full Version : West Penn Hardwoods, Niagra Lumber or ...?

Kent Cori
06-09-2004, 4:50 PM
I want to buy 100 bf of walnut to make a headboard and night stand for my daughter. Unfortunately, my usual local supplier can't meet my needs so I'm going to have to order it over the Web.

I ordered some soft maple in April from Niagra and while the quality of the wood was okay, it was not overwhelming. They did ship the wood quickly, however, although it was a bit shy of the bf quantity they listed. Dave Avery started a thread earlier this year describing his very positive experience with West Penn Hardwoods. Several Creekers jumped on the bandwagon with similar supportive comments.

Has anyone out there dealt with both of these suppliers so you could offer a comparison? If not, I'd be very interested in hearing opinions on either of these firms or other mail order suppliers you may have used.

As always, thanks in advance for your help and sage wisdom.

John Olson
06-09-2004, 4:55 PM
I have delt with both and have been happy with both. I bought small amounts of cherry and maple.

Bruce Page
06-09-2004, 5:28 PM
Kent, I have used Steve Wall Lumber a couple of times and I was very happy with them.http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Bob Marino
06-09-2004, 6:10 PM
Kent,

I have used West Penn several times, ordering qswo and have always gotten very high quality wood. Haven't used the others though.

Bob

thomas prevost
06-09-2004, 7:35 PM
West Penn for figured woods or woods with good character. You may pay a bit more but you will get excellent quality. Nice folks to deal with. We sell them lots of wood. Niagara sells run of the mill woods. good wood but nothing fancy. For standard woods like Niagara sells, I would go with Steve Wall. his prices are better and less for shipping as they are closer to you.

Joseph N. Myers
06-09-2004, 8:13 PM
Kent,

I've bought lumber from Steve Wall at the local show for the past 8 years or so and have always been pleased with them --- of course, I could see it before I bought it. I would trust them for mail order. They have a special going for 100 bf of select 4/4 walnut 4 1/2" - 8" wide, 6' long for $325 unsurfaced, $345 surfaced 13/16. Normally it is $4.00 bf.

I looked at West Penn Hardwoods on the web and their stuff, in general looked real good and am going to keep them in mind for future orders. Their walnut package for 100 bf is $300 for rough, 4-5', $400 for rough 5-7'. Black on both .sides is $25 extra, surface both sides is $100 extra.

Steve Wall is in NC and West Penn in NY so shipping from NC should be cheaper.

Of course, there a lots of other companies out there but I have not dealt with them.

Regards, Joe

Kent Cori
06-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback and so quickly. Joseph, the deal you found at Steve Wall Lumber Co. looks too good to pass up. I'll call them tomorrow and see what can be arranged.