PDA

View Full Version : Stocking/Coat Hanger

Thomas Knighton
12-06-2008, 4:30 PM
While no where near as involved as many of the projects here, much less to that level of craftsmanship, I thought I'd share my latest.

My family recently moved from a home with four fireplaces to a duplex with none. So, we needed a place to put our stockings for Christmas. So, I decided to put this little puppy together. It measures 6"x24" and is 4/4 pine. It was painted to match the trim in our living room. In fact, I used the exact same can of paint as I used to paint the living room.

After Christmas, it'll serve a more practical duty as a coat rack for my son to hang his jackets on. We have a tree-type coat rack, but it's just a bit to tall for my son to use. This will fit the bill nicely I think. It's hung at an easy height.

I suspect that this puppy will see years of service in our home. As this is really only my 2nd project and was made with very limited tooling, I'm pretty proud of it ;)

Derek Stevens
12-06-2008, 10:29 PM
It's not how involved a project is, but how much it means to you and your family. for that, great job creating a tradition for xmas' to come.

Thomas Knighton
12-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks Derek. You're right of course. I can picture my son using this with his family long after I'm gone and telling his kids and grandkids about how he watched me hand plane the chamfers.

I personally believe that one is never truly gone so long as they're remembered. So, this is really just step one toward immortality ;)

John Thompson
12-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Very nice and very functional, Thomas. I just built a simple shoe rack that will be used more than a Mission coffee table just before that. Sometimes the simple little things serve in a larger role than the more complicated ones when the votes are tallied. ;)

Have a good day over in Albany...

Sarge in L'ville up in Gwinnett..

Thomas Knighton
12-12-2008, 6:45 AM
Sarge,

Sorry I'm so late in responding, I had missed your post until just now ;)

I think you're probably right. No matter how involved a project is, it's the need it fills that determines how used it is.

This rack will definitely be getting some use. In fact, it's being used right now and has been since about two minutes after I hung it!

My wife is proud of it, my son is proud of it, so I guess I did it right ;)

Tom
who's thinking us GA woodworkers need to get together or something sometime :D

Joe Chritz
12-12-2008, 7:17 AM
It looks very good indeed. Something very similar is on my "to do" list very soon. We have been settling for the backs of chairs a bit to long.

Joe

Jim Becker
12-12-2008, 9:59 AM
This is a great example of a project that while small, provides a lot of value. I think many of us, including myself, get wrapped up in our big-project thoughts so much that we sometimes put off doing the little ones that may even have more positive impact on a daily basis to our families and homes than the larger ones do. Bravo to you. And for folks with kids, these projects are also wonderful to help introduce them to our woodworking activities.

Thanks for sharing this one, Thomas!

John Thompson
12-12-2008, 10:26 AM
As to Georgia WW getting together... it's not as easy as it sounds when you factor in jobs (hopefully for most).. family schedules and responsibilities.. etc.. etc.. The spring WW Show in Atlanta and IWF every two years does bring in together on occasions. Steel City Toolworks did host Sawmill Creek as a round-a-vue point at IWF last August. I acted as host as I was demonstrating machines for Steel City.

But... any time you get down to N. E. Atlanta give me a call or PM here in advance. My shop is open 7 days a week and the welcome mat is always out. If ya get into town after the sun goes down I'll leave the porch light on for ya. :)

In the last year I finished a 4 pc. BR suite.. a Mission coffee table and then did the shoe rack for function. Got more function on the agenda as I head off to Suwanee Lumber this morning as the First Lady has commanded 3 kitchen knife holders for Xmas gifts.

A computer desk is on the list to start but.... function over form is again the case. Meaning if I don't function I don't get to admire her form. :D A spade is a spade. ha.. ha... ha..ha..ha..

Regards from L'ville....

Sarge..

Thomas Knighton
12-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Joe,

You can't really get any simpler than this. In fact, if I had a router table, this would have probably been even quicker ;). I'll say that I've got, maybe, two hours in this one if you don't count down time between paint coats. A nice afternoon project IMHO.

Jim,

You're definitely right about involving the kids. My first project was a saw vise for sharpening all my various hand saws, and my son helped with some of the planing. He got to help again on this one, and that's the coolest!

Sarge,

I need to haul my butt up to Hot-lanta at some point soon to visit several friends I have up in that neck of the woods. When I head that way, I'll have to make it a point to PM ya and stop by!

Tom