PDA

View Full Version : Shopfox vs Grizzley

Brad McCollum
12-06-2008, 3:39 PM
Ok guys, I need some help getting off the fence. I am trying to make up my mind which table saw to get. I'm going to buy a contractor type table saw and looking at Griz G0576 and comparable Shopfox(can't remember model). Features seem the same except 2year warrenty on SF and 1 yr on Griz. I can get SF from local dealer but at $200 higher than Griz delivered to my door. Can y'all think of any issues with either machine that might sway me? Thanks

Howard Acheson
12-06-2008, 4:03 PM
If I recall correctly, Shop Fox is owned by Grizzly. There's not much difference between the two saws.

scott spencer
12-06-2008, 4:31 PM
Shiraz Balolia owns both companies and in many cases the tools are nearly identical. AFAIK, you've nailed the differences...two year warranty, dealer support, and I'll add ivory paint. Certainly the first two have some value, but whether or not that equates to $200 in value is your call. You might try talking to your dealer and tell him the price difference you're looking at to your door and see if he has any margin to work with, maybe a saw blade, or mobile base, etc.

Does the $200 additional for the SF move you into a Griz hybrid by any chance? (food for thought)

Andrew Joiner
12-06-2008, 4:38 PM
I had the same problem with the cabinet saw 4 years ago. I found out they Griz and Fox were identical. I bought the Fox cause I like to touch before I buy. Paid about $60 more than a Griz shipped to my door.

Love the saw and a week or 2 later my local tool shop had it on sale for $100 less and gave me $100 back!

Maybe your local store will drop the price to you if they know your about to buy a Griz.

Craig McCormick
12-06-2008, 4:41 PM
Hmm my local Shop Fox dealer told me all Grizzly is crap compared to Shop Fox.....Then again he thinks everything he does not carry in his store is crap.

AZCRAIG

Larry Kite
12-06-2008, 5:01 PM
Shop Fox and Griz are the same saws. The Grizzly are sold only by Grizzly, the Shop Fox is sold by dealers. It is a very smart way to sell more of your product. Buy the one that has the best price because they are exactly the same (except color).

The reason you will see Grizzly prices in a national magazine ad buy is because Grizzly is a single retailer, You will not see prices in a Shop Fox national advertisement because the final price is up to the dealer.

I have 2 Grizzly 1023 table saws. They are great saws. If you are not going to move your saw much consider this saw with a Shop Fox mobile base.

PS: Craig you local Shop Fox dealer is full of crap, not the Grizzly.

Russ Massery
12-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Kinda like comparing GMC and Chevy.

Don Bullock
12-07-2008, 12:18 AM
...I can get SF from local dealer but at $200 higher than Griz delivered to my door...

If the dealer is charging to ship the saw to your home it's a "no brainer." Buy a Grizzly. It's the exact same saw.;):D

Craig Nickles
12-07-2008, 11:51 AM
An easy one for me..........save yourself a couple hundred bucks and get the Grizzly. I have bought from them in the past and their customer service is excellent and friendly to boot!

Don Dorn
12-07-2008, 1:30 PM
My Griz 1023SL has just passed it's 5 year mark and it works as well and smooth today as the day I put it in the shop. It sees use four or five times a week.

Looking over the dates, my G0555 bandsaw, my 6" Jointer (can't remember the model #) and Radial head drill press all have just passed the 5 year mark. I also have an air compressor purchased in 01 that is still going strong. No complaints at all on any of them.

Cary Falk
12-07-2008, 1:57 PM
I would shop on price if you are looking at the same tool. I no longer have a Shop Fox dealer where I live so I would have to order both.. With Grizzly's CS being so good I don't think local support as being worth that much. I have a 8" Shop Fox jointer only because I got it delivered $100 cheeper than I could get the Grizzly mainly due to sales tax. The 2 year warranty is nice but I doubt I will need it.

Peter Quinn
12-07-2008, 2:14 PM
I recently got a shop fox mini molder (the W&H clone) which is only offered under the shop fox label. I have a few pieces of grizzly equipment in my shop and use some at work. I think I'd be willing to pay an extra $200 just for the Ivory paint. It really is a lovely paint scheme and logo. The machine works well too. I can't stand that Grizzly green glaring back at me, it clashes with everything else in the room. This may not be for most a great reason to pay more for shop fox, but I doubt for me all things being equal I'd buy another green tool.

Before the attacks start, consider a car purchase. You get to pick a color you like, yes? Would you buy a car you like in a color you hate to save a few bucks? I for one would not. Of course with a fine coat of saw dust on all my machines they all start to look sort of tan over time.

You could take it to the extreme and have that outfit that customizes wood working machinery paint it what ever color you like, even flames or racing stripes. I'm not there yet, but maybe one day?

Rick Fisher
12-07-2008, 3:05 PM
The customer service from Shop Fox is similar to Grizzly. Very friendly and customer driven. The warranty difference is not really a big deal. If there is going to be a problem, it will be right away.

If the Grizzly is $200.00 less and you can live with green paint.. It makes sense. :p

With mid grade machinery all being made in Taiwan and China, and the big domestic tool companies all being purchasers of machinery and not manufacturers, I think buying decisions should be based on customer service.

Grizzly/Shop Fox is situated very well, with a reputation for very happy customers..

I look at companies like Delta and wonder what the future will be. Same quality machinery, lower standards for customer service and higher prices.. Image and reputation only hold you up for so long...

John Callahan
12-07-2008, 3:10 PM
Easy to spend other people's money :D ........ but if the Shop Fox at $200 more is seriously under consideration, another $100 ($300 more than the G0576) more will put you in a Grizzly G1023SL- a whole lot more saw and you'll never have to say what if ............. Afaik you'll need 220v for the G0576 and the G1023SL and the shipping cost is the same for both the G0576 and the G1023SL. For me the extra year of warranty and the ivory color of the Shop Fox isn't worth the extra $200. I'd either pocket the difference or move up to the G0478 hybrid ($100 more than G0576) or the G1023SL ($300 more than the G0576).

William Addison
12-07-2008, 3:30 PM
If you ever need parts, you have to buy SF from a dealer and it can take weeks-or longer. With Grizz you can order online or from customer service and have them in a few days. I've had good luck in ordering Grizzly parts for SF equipment but you never really know if they will work before you get them.

John Bailey
12-07-2008, 3:53 PM
You could take it to the extreme and have that outfit that customizes wood working machinery paint it what ever color you like, even flames or racing stripes. I'm not there yet, but maybe one day?

Yep!! I agree whole heartedly. I've always bought based on colour. So, I bought a bunch of old woodworking machines and I'm in the process of painting them my favourite colour - what else - GREEN!!:D:D:D

Andy Casiello
12-07-2008, 4:03 PM
Hmm my local Shop Fox dealer told me all Grizzly is crap compared to Shop Fox.....
:confused::rolleyes:

Jim Becker
12-07-2008, 5:57 PM
Hmm my local Shop Fox dealer told me all Grizzly is crap compared to Shop Fox.....Then again he thinks everything he does not carry in his store is crap.

I missed that the first time I read this thread....LOL Made me chuckle. Well informed dealer, eh? :D

Rod Sheridan
12-07-2008, 7:49 PM
With mid grade machinery all being made in Taiwan and China, and the big domestic tool companies all being purchasers of machinery and not manufacturers, I think buying decisions should be based on customer service.

Hi Rick, General is still made in Drummondville Quebec.......Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
12-07-2008, 8:58 PM
Yep!! I agree whole heartedly. I've always bought based on colour. So, I bought a bunch of old woodworking machines and I'm in the process of painting them my favourite colour - what else - GREEN!!:D:D:D

Perhaps you can get some inspiration from these folks....http://www.powermaticcustoms.com/paperbuilder.php

Racing stripes or flames anyone? :D I like green, but not all shades of green appeal to me. I prefer blues, grays, cool subdued tones. Of course you've seen my RAS restoration (that might be a strong word for what I did) and paint was not part of it. I didn't want to ruin that well worn industrial 'patina' my saw had aquired!:D But when I shop for new machines the color matters, secondary to performance of course, but not inconsequential.