PDA

View Full Version : Are CA glues created equal?

Bryan Berguson
12-06-2008, 2:46 PM
After trying for the umpteenth time to glue something together (a broken Christmas ornament) with cheap dollar store super glue, I finally got frustrated and threw it away. I see in the Woodcraft catalog a couple different brands of CA glue and since I'm going to be near a store (Harrisburg) on Monday, I thought I might "invest" in a kit. Woodcraft carries a category of "Instant Glues" (not sure what brand) and also "USA Gold" which is actually a little cheaper. I only want one bottle of glue but I'd also like to get some solvent and accelerator.

Anybody like a particular brand? Also, how long does this stuff keep after it's been opened?

Thanks

Bryan

Bryan Cowing
12-06-2008, 3:23 PM
I bought a bottle of a super high holding power industrial grade ca glue at a little booth at the local wood show here this fall. Just to get the sale he gave me the larger bottle for the $20 of the smallest bottle. I thought after I got it home, yea! Right! bet I got shafted!:mad: Then I broke the plastic hold down handle on my asian floor mortiser. So I thought , lets try it. Had a hard time with the initial bond of the plastic, but repeated attempts to line it up and stick finally took. It said to leave for 24 hrs. Best ca glue I have ever bought. That handle is just like new. Glues leather to leather real well, when fixing kids footwear. I guess next I should try those shammy guys next at the next wood show I attend!:D

Robert LaPlaca
12-06-2008, 4:50 PM
Many years ago, I used to be into Radio Controlled airplanes big time, so big that I used to build 1/3 scale (90 inch wing span) aerobatic planes. In the R/C plane world, almost everything was glued with CA, used to use copious amounts of the stuff, maybe a few key joints glued with epoxy.

My favorite glue was ZAP (previously named Loctite) then tied was Hot Stuff (one of the original CA glues) and then USA Gold (aka. Balsa USA Gold). I used to hate the Carl Goldberg CA glue, which I don't think they sell anymore..

Before opening the story was to keep in the refrigerator, after opening never had much luck keeping the stuff long as it usually thickens..

Bob Hoffmann
12-06-2008, 4:56 PM
I have used Sinbad glue -- which I got at a home show -- and I can say that it is the best that I have used -- copared to store bought stuff.

I have it stored in the refreigrerator -- and they say it lasts for a long time there -- I have had mine for a couple of years and have seen no degradation of the glue -- but I don't know how long it has a shelf life.

Here is the web site:
http://www.sinbadglue.com/
and you can order it by filling out a form on the Contact us page and then mailing it.

This was a medical glue that they have marketed.

Per Swenson
12-06-2008, 5:24 PM
No. Not all CA's are alike.
Not by far. I also build R/C aircraft and zap ia a quality glue, but in the finish carpentry and hardwood business there is only one.
2p 10 by Fast cap. You can find it here (http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=136-415&DF=136-415)

Scott Wigginton
12-06-2008, 6:22 PM
Titebond recently announced their own line of Instant Bond Glues (http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=WNTitebondInstantBond.asp). I'm interested to see if anyone here has used it and how it compares.

Bryan Berguson
12-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Titebond recently announced their own line of Instant Bond Glues (http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB.ASP?UserType=1&ProdSel=WNTitebondInstantBond.asp). I'm interested to see if anyone here has used it and how it compares.

I followed your link and read about them on the Titebond site. Followed their Woodcraft link and low and behold, they list them in 2 to 8 oz containers. Titebond says a 2 year shelf life but I'm assuming that's before opening. I use mainly Titebond glues in the shop so I may have to give them a try.

Thanks all!

Bryan

Per Swenson
12-07-2008, 7:37 AM
Sorry, one more important note on C/A's.
Keep them refrigerated.
This will extend the shelf life far beyond the manufacture's
stated limit.

Per