PDA

View Full Version : Metal Badge Material?

Bill Jermyn
12-06-2008, 2:08 PM
I've been having some problems with some of my Flexibrass badges coming back looking pretty ragged. They're used in a beauty shop that must use some wicked chemicals. I've been looking for a laser engravable metal badge to replace them. None of my suppliers seem to carry anything other than Alumamark, which i think is too thin to be used for a badge. Any ideas?

Joe Pelonio
12-06-2008, 2:31 PM
Laminate the alumamark onto some plastic?

Artisan sells coated aluminum stock if you have a way to cut it, or they can cut it for you. They also sell metal name badge blanks for rotary engraving,
perhaps you could pain them and engrave or use cermark.

http://www.artisan-es.com/

Hilton Lister
12-06-2008, 2:40 PM
Doming with a 2 part clear epoxy will strengthen the badges and protect the engraving. Dunno how it will handle the chemicals, but probably OK, as I make printed or sublimated badges on aluminium backing with resin doming for use in similar situations and have yet to have any returns

Tony Lenkic
12-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Bill,

Reverse LaserMark and paint fill might be better option in this case.
Rowmark Matte/smooth gold # 922-711 or Glosss/smooth gold # 922-710

Mike Null
12-07-2008, 7:51 AM
Bill

One of the common chemicals is finger nail polish remover which will have acetone in it. Acetone will attack plastics in a hurry.

I think the doming idea may be the best one.

Joe Pelonio
12-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Isn't epoxy resin a plastic too?

Tony Lenkic
12-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Bill,

Alumamark is about same thickness as Flexibrass. You can cut sub plate out of trophy aluminum to gain more thickenss.
Do you have metal shear?

Albert Nix
12-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Bill there are folks out there that offer a badge holder that takes an insert that you could make from what ever. I think Johnson Plastics carries them. I can check my cataloge tomorrow.