PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying Brace bits and things

Tony Scolaro
12-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I am seeking help in Id of this auger bits I will be selling them and I don't know much about their value. I have had them for many many years. Am I correct in calling the collection of 12 bits in the pic spur bits. These are really well made. 11 of the 12 say Robe Marples Shetfield England on them.

Also I have a pic with carving tools in them. When I bought them I was told they were used by Native Americans for bowl carving in soft woods. Could someone Id them for me.

The other picture I am thinking of sellin in a lot. Is this wise? There is a set of what I call auger bits by Irwin that are very nice. Also twist bits, counter sinks, slotted screw driver, a few gibles (German made) I think they are called. Also of interest is a set of spoon bits that seem to be old and not so refined as say the Marples. I searched around for them for a while when I was intrigued with M. Dunbars Windsor Chair Class and he was using spoon bits at the time.

I just don't do the hand work I expect to and am trying to shape up my shop and put these in the hands of people who will use them. I like old tools and my machines are mostly pre 60's but for now I am parting with many of my old but good hand tools. Any advice on determining a fair value would be appreciated. Thanks all in advance

Robert Rozaieski
12-06-2008, 1:53 PM
Tony,
The bits in the first picture are called center bits and were used before auger bits were invented. The last picture looks to have a combination of auger bits, spoon or gouge bits (can't tell which from the picture) and some taper reamers. You may want to post these on the classified board here as I'm sure there would be folks here, including myself that would be interested in at least some of this.
Bob

Jim Koepke
12-06-2008, 4:28 PM
The first set would be good to sell as a group.

Same with the carving tools. I am not sure if they are "chip carving" tools or what. I bought one that looked like some of these and it turned out to actually be a melon baller.

The last group may sell better if broken up into groups of tools that are alike. Surely someone would like to get the whole group, but it may actually bring better bids by selling the augers as one set, the twist drills as another, the flute bits as a third, the reamers as another, the screw driver blades and so forth.

It looks like there are at least ten different lots in the image. Some of the items are hard to figure since they face away from the lens.

Some of the items will not bring a lot, but some of them could surprise you.

Good luck,

jim

Dusty Fuller
12-07-2008, 8:29 AM
Those in the middle picture appear to be hook knives. I don't think Native Americans used things of that nature though, at least not until the Europeans brought them over. Many here at The Creek would be interested in all of that stuff!

harry strasil
12-09-2008, 9:19 PM
the middle pic is of Scorps.