PDA

View Full Version : Collated Screw Fastening Systems

Dave Hammelef
03-14-2003, 10:30 AM
Looking at screwing down all the floor boards in my house. I think one of these collated screw guns is in order but the few reviews I can find dont sound promising. PLEASE HELP

Looking for a good reliable model Any comments or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Ron Roberts
03-14-2003, 5:04 PM
Dave,

My experience is limited to the Quickdrive, the one that has the Dewalt drill motor. I forget which model it is but I've used it for a couple of projects and was satisfied. The long extension sure saved my back. I had occasional jams, but not often.

The one I have uses screws collated in strips. I think there are coil models too.

I've heard good things about the Milwaukee but I've never used one.

My concern with anything like this is if the fasteners are proprietary, can I easily get them locally in case I run out (you can almost always order from someplace). Just my luck though with the Quickdrive, right after I bought it Payless Cashways went out of business so now I'm ordering.

And for what it's worth (please don't throw rocks at me!), Craftsman has an attachment for your drill that resembles the business end of the Quickdrive but without the long extension for not too much money and the screws are readily available at your local Sears (although a bit pricey IMNTBHO).