PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the Lathe

Everette Harmon
12-06-2008, 8:46 AM
I just finished watching a Jimmy Clews DVD and it brings up a question I have had for years. All the tapes and DVD's that I have watched, the turners seem to be about waist high on the lathe. I'm short, at about 5'8" and getting shorter. My lathe hits me at about mid to upper stomach area. I'm thinking about building a platform to stand on when turning. Anyone else have this problem or is it really a problem? How have you handled it?

Thanks
Everette

Curt Fuller
12-06-2008, 9:04 AM
I have the opposite problem. I'm tall and for a long time I bent over to work causing a sore back and neck. I raised my lathe with locking castors so I could move it around easier and the side benefit was less stress from working at the taller machine. I personally like the lathe to be at the height where my right elbow (the arm holding the tool handle) is about the height of the ways when I'm turning. That just seems to be most comfortable for me.

RL Johnson
12-06-2008, 9:13 AM
I too am tall and always feel as if I am turning downhill and it hurts my back. I raised my lathe so that the spindle on the head of the lathe is about elbow height. Therfore when I am working with a tool, I can stand up straight and not have to bend over so much. There is also a few times when I want the tool handle to be dropped very low and if the lathe is already low then it just compounds my back hurting.We have many club members that build a platform to stand on as the lathe was too tall for them. If you are comfortable after hours of turning then the lathe is at the right height.

Richard Madison
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Everette,
I'm about your height and found that the screw-in feet on my 1642 made it way too high. Removed the feet and now it is about right. The usual reference is to have the spindle elevation at the height of your elbow (bent 90 degrees). Some folks like it a little higher or a little lower, depending upon their height and particular variety of back trouble.

Edit: From your title my original answer was "Hello Lathe".

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with what has been said. My lathe was at a point where I had to bend over at 6'. Measuring from the floor to my bent elbow is 44 3/4". That is where most people would start with the spindle of the headstock at that height. I raised mine so the spindle height from the floor is 47 1/2". Way better on the back.

Everette Harmon
12-06-2008, 11:03 AM
The ways on the lathe hit me about at the stomach and the spindle is a little higher than elbow. Granted I don't want to get too high but actually just wondering if there was a "sweet spot for turning"
Thanks for the replies.
Everette

Paul Atkins
12-06-2008, 1:00 PM
My first lathe was about chest high which I thought was good because I could see all the sanding marks and details in my very small turnings. As my turnings got bigger the lathe seemed to tall so I built a 4" platform. With production turning becoming more of my bread and butter the lathe seemed still too tall and my shoulders ached. I chopped it down to 43" and now use a 1" rubber pad too. Now all my lathes are the same height. With new glasses I don't have to get so close and my arms are usually down by my side and more relaxed. With my big lathe I have 2 pads which makes it 41" and for porch posts it could be a bit lower. The too rest height changes the angle of attack which I adjust differently for tops than for 8" columns. I'm 5'7" and my elbow is 41" from the ground. (And I'm addicted to turning)

Scott Conners
12-06-2008, 1:01 PM
The best height is whatever works comfortably for you. I just raised my lathe 2.5", and I intend to raise it at least another 3 or 4 inches, as I find myself stooped and hurting at the end of a session, especially on delicate work or bowls where I'm dropping the handle. Right now the spindle is about elbow height, but I'm 6'2" before shoes and tend to lean intoo much.

Jim Becker
12-06-2008, 2:59 PM
There is an "ideal" for each person when it comes to where the spindle height falls relative to your body. Raising a lathe for those of us who are taller is generally a quick and easy thing. But for folks who have a lathe that is not adjustable in height and have a shorter stature, a platform is a reasonable accommodation. My suggestion would be to try something simple just to get the right height for you and once you've determined that, build a more permanent structure that is large enough for you to safely move around on while you are turning, both in front of the lathe and toward the end if you do hollowing, etc. (I did a temporary platform a couple years ago when I taught a 12 year old during the local AAW chapter's "Hands On Turning" training events. It got him to a comfortable position for both safe and effective turning posture)

Allen Neighbors
12-06-2008, 3:37 PM
I'm 5'10", and when I first started turning, I had back and shoulder trouble. The spindle was about elbow height. I raised the lathe to get the spindle height at 49", and haven't had back or shoulder trouble since. It's just what works for you, that is best.
Some of us have stronger backs, and some of us have weaker eyes. :D
As has been said, Everett, try different heights, then, when you get it there, you'll know it.

Glenn Roberts
12-06-2008, 5:27 PM
I think you are in a good situation, as your lathe is perhaps too high. For hollow forms and the like its often better if the work is higher up.
So, as you suggest a removable platform, where you can install it to suit the work you are doing. Also it allows you to have some nice anti fatigue matting.

I am tall and my big lathe is bolted down ( almost permanent) so its' pretty hard to dig the concrete away, when I want to do hollow forms and the like.:) big mistake, when I did not know better.

Basic Lathe design ( metal and wood) hasn't changed much over the years, but we seem to be getting taller, look at the old door ways in the UK.

Gary Herrmann
12-06-2008, 6:22 PM
Oh yeah, nothing like a lathe that's too short to give you back spasms. My 3520b has a spindle height at 53".

Jon Lanier
12-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I usually just go up to it and say, "Hello, lathe!" Best way to address most of my wood working machines. :rolleyes:

Tom Wilson66
12-08-2008, 11:04 PM
The spindle height on my lathe is 38 inches and my height is 6' 5":eek:. However, I sit while turning, due to problems standing for any lengthof time. This gets my arms at the right angle while turning. You gotta do whatever works:D

john taliaferro
12-09-2008, 8:58 AM
the one i use the most is 47.5 i use a 1" pad and iam 6 2 at 190. big lathe is 48 still in a pile here at work. when i do a lot of cores my sholders hurt. i think if you did spindles it would be to tall. you can always rise . john t

Scott Lux
12-09-2008, 11:07 PM
my original answer was "Hello Lathe".

I'm glad you said it. I was afraid I'd have to do it.

Richard Madison
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Scott, Always glad to help out.

Everette Harmon
12-10-2008, 5:01 AM
Thanks for all the help. I finally put a 3/4" piece of plywood on the floor, with two rubber mats on the plywood. This moves me up a little over an inch. It seems to be good. I will know later this week. This puts the spindle right at my elbows.

Everette

Jack Mincey
12-10-2008, 7:51 AM
My lathe spindle is elbo height which works great for most of my turning. I use John Jordan's arm brace handle for HF's and find it much more comfortable to sit on a stool to hollow them out. I have a stool that can be adjusted up and down in one inch increments that makes it easy to get the height just right. My lathe would have to be 4 or 5 inches higher to hollow out HF's in comfort without the stool.
Jack

Judy Kingery
12-10-2008, 8:54 AM
Everette,

Hope you find that sweet spot; my spindle's right at about elbow for me and I stand 5' 10". I found the lathe to be probably for about a 6' guy, so Glen built a about a 1 3/8" platform, then, as Glenn mentioned, we put antifatigue mats down and it is absolutely perfect, has been for 5-6 years for me!

Bet you'll like it, let us know how it works out for you later in the week, best to you,

Jude