PDA

View Full Version : Pen Finish Durability

Billy Tallant
12-06-2008, 4:52 AM
I've just started turning pens. I've been reading the different articles that I find on here. Reading the posts have got me to thinking about the finish that I'm using. I'm sanding my pens to 600 grit & then using the HUT Friction polish. I rub it into the wood by hand and then apply small amount to papertowel. Then run lathe on high speed to polish & buff out finish. My question that I'm wondering about is the durability of the HUT polish compared to other finishes. Any and all responses gladly welcomed...

Curt Fuller
12-06-2008, 9:16 AM
Billy, I don't turn a lot of pens but I've used the HUT friction polish on some other things. I'm not an expert here so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the friction polish is a combo of wax and shellac and it gives a really nice looking finish initially. But over time it dulls somewhat like most waxes. The things I've used it on still look good, they just don't have the original shine they had when the finish was fresh. To keep that nice glossy shine I have better luck with lacquer or polyurethane finishes.

Scott Lux
12-06-2008, 9:20 AM
One common critique of HUT and other friction finishes is that they do not hold up. The oils in our skin breaks down the finish over time.

I have a honeylocust pen that I finished with HUT two years ago. I use it almost daily. There is no sheen on it and no trace of the finish. But, it has started to develop a lovely patina of use. I am a fan of wood that looks and feels like wood. Old wooden spoons, pens, bowls, etc. develop that wonderful look and feel because the finish is gone if, indeed, there ever was one.

If you're using a friction finish and selling (ot giving) your works, I think you should explain the finish will change over time. Otherwise you'll have some very unhappy customers down the line.

Lux

David Walser
12-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Of the film finishes, CA glue seems to be the most durable. Shellac based friction polishes (like HUT) are the least abrasion resistant. Shellac finishes will quickly wear through in areas where the pen gets the most use. The high gloss these finishes sometimes have will show fingerprints and little scratches from wear.

An oil finish, like tung oil, walnut oil, and boiled linseed oils, produce a finish many find attractive. It's not a high-gloss finish like you can achieve with the film finishes (you can always add a top coat of buffed wax over the oil finish if you want more gloss), but many like it. It has the advantage of not showing fingerprints (unless you've created a high gloss finish by buffing with wax) and scratches nearly as much as the film finishes and it's a finish the user can easily renew by wiping on some more oil. (With a pen, it's usually not necessary to add more oil. The natural oils from the user's hands will renew the finish over time.)

In the end, it's a matter of the look you want. High gloss: Try CA glue. It's the most durable finish. Soft patina: Try an oil finish.

HTH

Jon Lanier
12-06-2008, 11:03 PM
I use CA or a plexi finish depending on my mood. Both are hard and and easy to put on.