PDA

View Full Version : Large mouth Cedar vase

Bill Bolen
12-05-2008, 10:17 PM
SWMBO wanted a cedar vase with a large mouth for a dried flower display. This is what I came up with. 6X5 with 8 coats of wipe on poly and 3 wheel buffed. I put no oil on the interior and that cedar smell just seems to float out...Bill...

Don Carter
12-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Bill:
You have been busy.;) I hope you don't mind but I now think this is my favorite, no, maybe the walnut piece. They all are just great! Great work.

All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Beautiful piece. I really like this one.

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Bill - of all the pieces you have shown the last couple of days - this one stands out - at least to me. Great form, nice detail line on top of the rim, beautiful wood and finish and I think the larger opening works great! Very nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2008, 12:15 AM
BIll Fantastic piece! The form, finish and wood....absolutely fantastic!

Dan Oliphant
12-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Wonderful piece, well done.

David Walser
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Bill, allow me to repeat what everyone else has said. This is a beautiful piece. The wood, finish, and shape are all perfect for it's function. That's a vase anyone would be proud to own.

Larry Marley
12-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Wow bill.
this is beautiful

Dewey Torres
12-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks Will. Either you have been very bust at the lathe or you have been saving these up for us. Thanks either way. I bet this piece is light being cedar. I could see it in a museum setting. All of your works have been outstanding.

Bill Bolen
12-06-2008, 6:06 PM
Thanks all. These pieces are what has been consuming me for three weeks of turning and another month waiting for finishes to cure and get buffed. Afraid I still have 3 or 4 more to post but do not want to take over the board with too many post's. Your critiques, compliments and acceptance have meant a lot to me...Bill..

David Sallee
12-06-2008, 6:13 PM
Ooooo.. that's nice Bill! plus a FANTASTIC finish! I like it...

Thanks for sharing
Dave

Steve Mawson
12-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Like the piece very much. Where did you find a piece of cedar that big that was not cracked? I bet the whole shop smelled great after this piece was done.

Bill Bolen
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Steve: Yep, Cedar will crack in a heartbeat. I had additional cracking while sanding and even while hollowing out. Just from the heat of the hollowing bit I guess. Cracking is not a big thing to take care of. Frequent checking and repair of the cracks is faily simple. There is plenty of sanding dust avaliable to make the repairs and keep the project moving. Gotta love that superglue!...Bill...