PDA

View Full Version : Two Cherry lidded boxes

Bill Bolen
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
The first is a domed lidded box with a bit of texturing. Body is cherry and the acorn is red oak. This cherry was so light in color when I finished it that it did not look to be cherry. I sat both boxes on a south facing window sill and rotated daily. After just a week it was very dark. Both are about 4X3. Mineral oil finish and needs another coat after their "suntan" job...Bill

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Dang Bill you just keep cranking them out. Very pretty boxes Bill. Well done.

Curt Fuller
12-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Those are both really nice boxes.

Jim Koepke
12-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Very nice.

Do you have a lathe tool to do the texturing on the first one?

jim

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Nice work Bill! Really like the forms on each and the small amount of texturing really adds to the look of the first box! The sun works wonders with cherry and can really change it to a darker wood pretty fast! Love the color on both of these!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Bill....those are about as nice as they can get! I really like both of them. Well done Sir!

Ron Bontz
12-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey Bill. I drove bye your house the other day and saw a squirrel with a glass cutter in its paw. It seemed to be looking around to see if any one was looking. Got any scratches in that window?:D Great looking box.

Mike Vickery
12-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Both of the boxes look great, nice job.

David Walser
12-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Bill,

I love both your boxes! The join on the first box is interesting. I don't think I've ever seen something like it before. Is it easier to turn than a more traditional slip fit tenon or is their another reason you used that approach?

My only quibble has to do with adding an acorn to the top of a cherry wood box. Yes, I know the acorn is made out of oak, and everything looks right, but my mind finds the concept of cherry wood and acorns unsettling somehow.

Bill Bolen
12-06-2008, 12:23 PM
David:The join was ripped off of a Richard Raffen project pictured in one of his books. I was taken with his method of mounting the lid to the body with a slight overhang. Seems to fit well with a dome style...Bill...

Jim Becker
12-06-2008, 2:53 PM
Ooh....nice work on those, William. Wonderful boxes!

Jim Kountz
12-06-2008, 5:31 PM
Love em William, great job!!

Bill Bolen
12-06-2008, 5:59 PM
Jim: the little bit of texturing was just done with a dremel engraver the burn lines were first cut in with my small skew prior to burning...Bill...

Tom Giacomo
12-07-2008, 1:37 AM
They are beautiful boxes, I love them. The first one is an interesting design.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2008, 2:14 AM
A piece of wood I inherited looks just like this after a piece of it was turned in to a handle. Wasn't sure what it is, but maybe it is cherry.

Maybe I can figure out a way to mount some pieces of it up and try my hand at turning a box or two. They would make great Christmas gifts for a couple of my grand daughters.

jim