PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Service from Lee Valley

Ben West
12-05-2008, 9:31 PM
Customer service is one of my pet peeves. So few companies provide great customer service, I go out of my way to tell people when they do.

Lee Valley is a very rare company.

About a year and a half ago, I ordered one of their electronic calipers, the kind that reads in fractional inches, decimal inches, and millimeters.

It has been a great little tool but, recently, developed a problem. Oftentimes, while using it, it would rezero itself. In essence, it became useless.

It was 1 1/2 years old and almost certainly out of warranty, if it ever had one. But, I thought I'd email Lee Valley and see what they could do.

Within 30 minutes, they emailed back and said to send it back to them and they woud replace it. What's more, the suggested I use the return label from another order I had placed recently to return the calipers.

I didn't have the return label from that order, so I just put it in the mail. I didn't mind paying the $3.12 shipping, cause Lee Valley had offered to replace a pair of calipers that were almost certainly out of warranty.

Today, I got home and had a package from Lee Valley waiting on me. Inside was a new set of calipers, and little note of thanks to me for being a customer and....drum roll...a little envelope with 3 $1 bills, 1 dime, and 2 pennies to reimburse me for my shipping charge.

Wow!

Jim Becker
12-05-2008, 9:32 PM
Yup, that's Lee Valley!

Curt Doles
12-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I placed my first order with Lee Valley yesterday morning.
I received shipping confirmation and a tracking number by the same afternoon.

That's a great start.

Curt

Rick Gifford
12-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Lee Valley is great to deal with. I also think Rockler gets high marks. They too have never failed to make things right. Great company's.

Ron Bontz
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Long story short. I ordered about 16 sets of bearing drawer guides only to realize they would not work when something got changed. Lee Valley took them back and sent me the size I needed no problems and paid the shipping. Great folks.:)

Will Blick
12-05-2008, 11:55 PM
LV has the best customer service, an amazing selection of ww products, they design/build many of the discontinued ww products, fair pricing, excellent web site, almost everything is always in stock, fast shipment, excellent communications on your order..... ahhhh... do they do anything wrong? This business model sure does work.....

I will agree this industry in general has good customer service vs. other industries....

Bob Slater
12-06-2008, 1:01 AM
I don't know if you have the stores in the States, but Lee Valley has two stores in Toronto with great service. The people who work there enjoy the field they work in, and they have quite a few retired woodworkers to offer their opinions on the gear. It is slow (They don't use bar codes at the cash), but excellent service and the downtown store is a very elegant space..

Andy Pratt
12-06-2008, 2:02 AM
Lee Valley is one of the only two companies I've ever dealt with (the other is USAA bank/insurance) that has impeccable customer service. It's just amazing to deal with companies like them. I go out of my way to buy everything I can from Lee Valley, and I've spent thousands in the last year with them as I set up my shop, so we've both benefitted from their great business model.

J D Thomas
12-06-2008, 8:44 AM
Like others, I have said this before, here and elsewhere: LV is THE standard bearer when it comes to customer service. Absolutely THE best. They've even accommodated me when I screwed up.

Dewayne Reding
12-06-2008, 9:26 AM
Wow Ben, that is great to hear. I have a few more Christmas wishlists than Santa has money this year. I'll tell her to place an order with LV this weekend. Sounds like they deserve my money.