PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tool Event Sturbridge Mass.

Mike Cutler
12-05-2008, 8:24 PM
Hey folks. I went to the Hand Tool Event this afternoon in Sturbridge Mass. this afternoon. Nice event, and definitely low key.

I met John Economaki of Bridge City Tools. He was demoing the Joint Maker Pro, and I got to tell you that is one slick rig. It's bigger than I thought it was, about the size of the central portion of a table saw, and built like a tank.
I was one of the people that originally thought it was bit of un-necessary fluff when it first came out, but after watching John Demo it for about a 1/2 hour I've pretty much changed my mind. That is a very viable option for a shop.
There were a lot of other Bridge City Tool items there to fondle too, so I finally got to see and touch some of them. Nice stuff, very nice stuff.

I stopped by the LN display and ended up with a sweet little 1/2 shoulder plane. Thomas Lie-Nielsen was there having a pretty good discussion about all things wood working with a gentleman that attended, and I kind of evesdropped on them for awhile. They were discussing a gamut of topics ( Apologies for being rude guys if either of you happen to read this).

I had brought a set if LN 98 &99 that I had never been able to set up properly, which made me feel like a retard, to have the LN folks show me what I was doing wrong.
Turns out my 98 & 99 are going back to the shop for some work. Nice people, really took care of the issue for me.

I met Chris Becksvoort, and talked for a bit. once again nice person,and totally open to conversation.

The event is still going on tomorrow, Dec. 6th, from 10-5 at the Sturbridge Host Hotel on Rte 20 in Sturbridge Village. The admission is free, and I highly recommend it for any New Englander.
It's not really a sales show per se, just a group of very accomplished wood workers giving their time for free.
Plenty of LN planes, saws, and chisels, with benches, and wood to try out tools, and get some tips and pointers on use and technique.

Demonstrators are;

Thomas Lie-Nielsen
John Economaki
Chris Becksvoort
Rob Porcaro
Bob Van Dyke

Russ Kay
12-06-2008, 8:01 AM
I went to the Sturbridge event too, figuring I would just indulge my fantasies again, get another dose of what I found at WIA in Berea while I wait for my Shapton stones to be delivered.

I watched John Economacki demo the Jointmaker Pro again, even got to try it a couple of times ... and I finally decided that if I bought one I would do things that I wouldn't even think about otherwise. So I bit the bullet and ordered one. I'm looking at this as an investment in myself, though it means I'll have to be extra frugal for the next few months.

I also got some good advice from Deneb Puchalski of LN about the next plane to buy. I have basically one good plane -- a LN low-angle smoother. He suggested that I might want to think about picking up a used Stanley Jack and refurbing it, then opting for a new jointer plane (I would probably go with a 7-1/2, or maybe a Veritas low-angle jointer). His reasoning was that a used jointer involves so much more metal to flatten and tune, whereas a used #5 is much more manageable.

I'm still in just a bit of shock after spending so much money, unplanned, but I'm basically pretty happy with myself about it.

David Gilbert
12-06-2008, 3:53 PM
Who sponsored the Hand Tool Event in Sturbridge? It sounded very interesting.

Cheers,

Mike Cutler
12-06-2008, 5:22 PM
Who sponsored the Hand Tool Event in Sturbridge? It sounded very interesting.

Cheers,

I want to say that Lie-Nielsen is the sponsor, or primary sponsor. Bridge City Tools is also represented, and I think they would be the closest thing to "vendors". It didn't really strike me as a "sales oriented affair, not that you couldn't purchase something from Lie-Nielsen, or Bridge City Tools.

There is a calender of events on the Lie-Nielsen website.

Russ

You might be a little shocked, but once you have that Joint Maker in your hands......
Did you catch the bit when John was explaining that they were going with a different stand?
Apparently the new stand will be higher in the front, approximately 3" of adjustment, to place your body in a more upright position, to relieve lower back strain. The Joint Maker will actually have an up angle to it.

If I didn't already have 2 bandsaws, 2 tablesaws, a GCSS, a Compound mitersaw, and a hand miterbox, I think I would have ordered one also.:eek:,;)