PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for tool grinders

Chris Barnett
12-05-2008, 7:38 PM
Have a Delta 1725-3450 variable rpm grinder with 60 grit Al oxide and maybe 40 grit grey wheels, and Wolverine jigs. Is grit and minimum speed of 60 and 1725 suitable for proper sharpening of reasonable quality (hardened) (Sorby and Thompson) gouges, skews etc. Or is a slower 90 rpm and 220 grit Jet or Grizzly wet sharpener necessary; are they really too slow?

Also I have read about the Work Sharp 3000 but am concerned about cost of replacement of their "specialized" consumable discs for their equipment; this tool does would seem the best for my old carbon steel hand chisels when needing to reestablish the contour and not just hone the edge. Everyone has an opinion :D, needing to act soon before I make too much dust out of good steel. I have used emory/crocus cloth with water over ceramic floor tile on the chisels but need to redo the contours now, and I don't have a week per tool to spend.

Thanks

Chris

Yo, moderator....could you move this post to Turners forum? Apparently everyone here has eversharp tools....or...

tim mathis
12-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Hi
Chris
i have used a slow speed grinder , high speed grinder , and the Tormak. To reshape i use a high speed grinder or a 50 to 80 grit sanding belt.
But for me i have found that a belt sander is the best and fastest way to sharpen and hone. First the belts are cheap and last years and just become a finer grit and it is easy to do. And remove little metal.
i purchased the leevalley belt sharpener and added my 1725 rpm motor. It comes with a tool rest , i made 2 more jigs so i can set and sharpen 2 gouges and my scrapers while turning ( basically 3 different tools can be sharpened in less than 1 minute ( with no adjustments after the first set up which is about 1 minute for all tools.)and i can go back to turning quickly.)My 1/2 " gouge ,my 7/8 " gouge and scrapers can be sharpened without any adjustments between them.
It hones great and belt changes take less than 10 seconds and the tools are very sharp.i purchase the sharpening belts from Klingspor.
tim

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/powermatic3520/3sharpenerpix004.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/powermatic3520/3sharpenerpix002.jpg
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x84/powermatic3520/3sharpenerpix001.jpg

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-06-2008, 2:05 PM
I turned up my nose at the whole Tormek and clone line of sharpeners.

Until I got to see one in use. They are pretty impressive.

Chris Barnett
12-07-2008, 1:10 PM
Thanks for info. Had searched but never could get answers I was pursuing; guess sharpening is still a black art here. I did find a good pen forum so will check there too for sharpening equipment recommendations.

Jim Becker
12-07-2008, 1:38 PM
Chris, personally, I'd suggest you stick with what you have for turning tools. The slow speed grinders are nice for a lot of things, but with turning, you'll often need to go back to the grinder every few minutes, especially when working wood high in silica or calcite. (spalted for the latter)

Richard Madison
12-07-2008, 2:56 PM
Chris, Agree with what Jim said. When one of your present wheels needs to be replaced you might consider an 80 or 100 grit rather than the 60. But I think many folks consider 100 too fine and prefer the 80 grit.

RL Johnson
12-07-2008, 3:15 PM
I would suggest you not use the grey wheel on HSS, it tends to load up and over heat the steel. I got one of the Norton 3X wheels and it is great compared to the white wheels. Beside Al oxide you also have to consider how hard the wheel is, a J or K hardnes is perferred. I also agree that what you have will be more than adequate for sharpening your tools.

Chris Barnett
12-08-2008, 7:18 PM
Thanks for the additional info. Looks like I can go ahead and use what I have and not worry. Means the latest may not be the greatest.

Scott Conners
12-08-2008, 8:27 PM
Chris, I have the same grinder as you. The wheels that came with the grinder were adequate, if cheap and vibration prone. I added a 100g basic Norton white wheel (I was learning to grind, this helped slow mistakes down), which helped the balance, and proper dressing helped even more. It's not vibration free, but it's usable once it's up to speed. I don't use the gray wheel for turning tools, just general heavy grinding. I think better wheels, or the Oneway balancing system are in my future, but it's quite functional as it is right now.

A slow speed 8" grinder and 60/80/100g aluminum oxide wheels is the most widespread sharpening system (at least in the USA) and the one you're most likely to encounter at a school or demo.