PDA

View Full Version : Jet Lathe indexing question

Dave Halter
12-05-2008, 4:43 PM
I have a Jet 1642EVS lathe. I have some projects that I want to try that need to be indexed, but there are no reference marks for this on the headstock. I have heard of some people using some type of indexing wheel, but have not seen any. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?

Thanks,
Dave

Steve Schlumpf
12-05-2008, 5:04 PM
Dave - posted this a while back - hope it helps: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75869&d=1196004230

Richard Madison
12-05-2008, 7:40 PM
Steve, that should do it. Dave could mark the hole locations on shoulder/flange of the spindle with felt tip pen.

Dave Halter
12-05-2008, 9:39 PM
Thanks, but I have that info from the lathe manual. I have been searching the internet and mainly getting info pertaining to metal lathes. I finally found the following:

http://alisam.com/page/14g9e/Woodworking_turning.html

I'm not sure if I'll get one (unless the MS Cashback goes back up). I also found a couple of descriptions on how to make a wooden one which I think will be accurate enough for what I want to do.

Thanks,
Dave

Richard Madison
12-05-2008, 9:58 PM
Dave,
Several years ago I needed an indexing wheel to make some open segment pieces on the lathe. I made an acrylic disc that fit the lathe spindle behind the chuck or faceplate, printed a 360 degree compass face from an online source and glued it to the plastic. I made a simple pointer to indicate the angle and a friction brake to hold the spindle in position. Sounds like you might need a more positive way to hold the spindle in position though. Maybe the usual drilled holes and a pin.

Paul Atkins
12-06-2008, 2:07 AM
I needed an index plate for beaded columns and drew an 8" divided circle on card stock and glued on an aluminum disc (4") and put it on the drill press and drilled the holes. I figured at 8" any error would be minimal at 4". This one is the small one in the picture. I used it on a box that held the columns and ran it on the tablesaw with moulder head with custom knives -worked great. Later I needed beaded tapered legs and more divisions so I got a 'spin index' or index fixture from Enco for less than $40 I think. I used it to make the other two plates. I keep the big one on the lathe all the time. It is held by a knurled collar on the main threads. Since this is a bronze bushed lathe with end play I never use it for faceplate work. The index jig can index every degree so you can drill up to 360 holes if you want.