PDA

View Full Version : Saddle stand - easy horse project

Joe Chritz
12-05-2008, 1:33 PM
As promised in another thread here are a couple pics of a saddle stand, just before finish with some info on the build.

It is 34" tall, 12" wide at the top, 11" at the bottom. Length is just over 20" since I made the sides as thick as I could get out of my stock on hand. (ended up 15/16") I have to turn a round "knob" to go on the end near the top for the bridle to hang from.

The slats are 3/4"x1 1/2"x 18 1/2". The bottom sides are 5/8"x5"x18 1/2". The brush box is all 5/8 stock and 12 inches tall. It is 1/4" or so smaller than the bottom of the stand. I would bump that to 3/8" on the next one, which I have several to do yet.

Took about 8 hours, including all the patterns and jigs that I made to speed up future builds. I wish I had a Domino but I made do with pocket screws for the slats and #0 biscuits x2 for the bottom.

I built the sides of the brush box "backward" and the dovetails were a major pain, next time that will be fixed as well. Imagine my "DOH!" moment when I finally realized why I was getting tear out so bad. Almost when I was finished with the last cuts.

I figure about 15 BF with a substantial margin for waste. Lots can come from a scrap bin.

Now it is on to computer desks for the kidlets. Enjoy

ETA: Just seen my contributor status lapsed. 50 lashes with a red hot wire for me. Found and fixed.

Joe

Jim Becker
12-05-2008, 2:00 PM
Very nice, Joe. This is a very useful project for the stable!

Question...do you think that there needs to be any wider "feet"/stance for stability while the saddle is on top, especially while the grooming box is out and in use? That's a bit of weight up high and a somewhat narrow perch. For just standing there or pure storage, it's probably not an issue, but if cleaning, etc., is going on on the saddle, while it's perched on top, that weight gets moving a little in my experience.

Don Bullock
12-05-2008, 9:38 PM
Joe, thank you for the post. I plan to file this away in my "must do" file for my friend's present next Christmas. The detail you included along with the pictures will help a lot. This look like a project I'll enjoy making. I know my friend's husband will be happy too. The saddle won't be parked on the back of the dining room chair any more.

John Thompson
12-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Very nice and looks very functional. I am curious as to the answer you give Jim on the base. I really don't know not being a horse person but if additional support is needed at the bottom.. that will be simple enough.

Sarge..

Joe Chritz
12-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Obviously wider is better but it is really stable as it is now. I wouldn't want to be doing any hard work on the saddle while it is on the stand but it really isn't designed for that anyway.

The dimension where stolen from some others that are sold commercially so I anticipate it working OK.

Monday when mother is gone I am going to put the saddle on it a few times and do some tests and will report back.

I need to take an hour and clean off the lathe and make the halter holder soon.

Joe

Joe Chritz
12-10-2008, 6:14 PM
Did some playing with the saddle, complete with trail stirrups and extras on the stand and it seems to do really fine as is. It can be pushed over but it is solid enough the stirrups can hit it without worry about it falling over.

Amanda spent an hour with the ROS today and it is ready for a bridle holder and stain/finish.

Joe

Don Bullock
12-10-2008, 6:15 PM
Please post pictures when it's finished.

Joe Chritz
12-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Updated photos with the finish. We are still undecided on what to put on for a bridle holder so it isn't one either. I am leaning toward a simple turned oak knob about 4" in diameter. There is also a laser cut piece with the horse's name on it to go on.

It seems to be as stable as one could get without going really wide and should work out great.

Joe

Jim Becker
12-27-2008, 3:30 PM
Turned out beautifully, Joe!!

You'll probably end up with other folks pining for you to make more of these...I'm starting to get that kind of thing with the tack trunk now that it's "installed" at the barn. If only we all had the time...LOL

Don Bullock
12-27-2008, 8:40 PM
Joe, that came out looking great. Thanks again for posting the pictures and information. I'm excited that I have a great idea for my friend's present next Christmas. I'll share pictures when I'm finished, but I won't be able to even start it until I get moved into our new home.

Dewey Torres
12-27-2008, 9:07 PM
Nice work Joe

I think the Creeker equestrian folks have spoken!