PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat *PIC*

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2004, 10:38 AM
I finally got to try out my new Airshield by Trend. -- Love It ! !

I don't know why I didn't get one of these or something like it years ago.

The Airshield is a battery powered respirator that provides excellent protection from the inhalation of harmful dust while at the same time protecting your eyes and face from flying debris. Standard run time is 4 hrs with the included battery, but because the Airshield has 2 battery compartments, a second battery can be installed that will permit up to 8 hours of continuous use. The Airshield comes complete with battery charger, THP/2 fine filter, pre-filter, airflow indicator, visor overlay and plastic carry bag. Airflow minimum 4.94 cf/m, maximum 6.36 cf/m. Weight is only 26 oz. Eye protection to BS EN 166:1995, low energy impact and respiratory protection to BS EN 146 THP2

Chris Padilla
06-09-2004, 10:54 AM
I wanna see it ON you, Sir Salisbury! :D

Waymon Campbell
06-09-2004, 11:45 AM
So Ken, this should increase your productivity by about 100% :D :D :D

Steve Clardy
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
And, perferably with, your WALMART SUIT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Boyd Gathwright
06-09-2004, 11:54 AM
:D Will the real Dark Vader stand up.:D

Boyd ;)

I finally got to try out my new Airshield by Trend. -- Love It ! !

I don't know why I didn't get one of these or something like it years ago.

The Airshield is a battery powered respirator that provides excellent protection from the inhalation of harmful dust while at the same time protecting your eyes and face from flying debris. Standard run time is 4 hrs with the included battery, but because the Airshield has 2 battery compartments, a second battery can be installed that will permit up to 8 hours of continuous use. The Airshield comes complete with battery charger, THP/2 fine filter, pre-filter, airflow indicator, visor overlay and plastic carry bag. Airflow minimum 4.94 cf/m, maximum 6.36 cf/m. Weight is only 26 oz. Eye protection to BS EN 166:1995, low energy impact and respiratory protection to BS EN 146 THP2

Jason Tuinstra
06-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey Ken, will the outside world hear James Earl Jones' voice when you talk through this? You could have a riot with the grandkids. "I am your grandfather..." As you can see, most of the battery life would be spent outside the shop in my house :D

Mike Stanton
06-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Can you wear it all day? How much was it and where did you get it?
Mike :rolleyes:

Steven Wilson
06-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Ken, do you know how the BS EN 146 THP2 rating translates over to NIOSH. I've been using the 3M for a few years and it's fine for nuisance dust (fine for general lathe work, except sanding without DC, or finishing) but doesn’t get down to filtering like an Airmate or Airmaster system.

Richard McComas
06-09-2004, 2:14 PM
Can you wear it all day? How much was it and where did you get it?
Mike :rolleyes:

Try here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=Airshield+by+Trend&btnG=Google+Search

Todd Burch
06-09-2004, 2:25 PM
So, Ken, how well would that work in REAL humidity?

Dan Bussiere
06-09-2004, 3:54 PM
Ken,
Nice set up but I see you didn't go for the optional Bud Light Straw Attachment. Now thats gonna slow you down.

Dan

John Bush
06-09-2004, 4:19 PM
Ken, Does this set-up include the nitrous oxide tank hook up? John

Mark Singer
06-09-2004, 4:54 PM
Ken,
Very stylish and healthy!!

Brad Schmid
06-09-2004, 5:44 PM
Ken,
Good investment. You'll be glad you did it.

I believe the Trend is a quality unit for air purification and you'll be very happy with it. I talked to a Trend rep earlier in the year, and I seem to remember him stating something like .3 micron on particulate filtration, but not positive on that. I tried to verify this, but Trend doesn't have anything on the web that I can find.

Can I rant a little too? :)
At the risk of highjacking your thread (slap me if I do).
What's really frustrating about these devices is the ratings...

It's almost impossible to compare European safety standards with US standards because the information is simply not freely available. I've been doing quite a bit of research lately so that I can make an educated purchase and unless your an industry expert... They make it so you almost have to believe that if there's a standards number on something, it's always good.

BS EN means British Standard European Norm from what I can gather.
146 seems almost meaningless to the casual observer like myself. Seems to run the gammit from milk products to surgical implants to clean air.
THP2 - seems like a generic term not used in the actual specific standard naming itself. they seem to use a sequence of numbers instead.

If there's an expert out there that can clear this up for me or has access to the standards documentation, (maybe a QHSE person) I'd love to hear it!

Big problem is, if you really want to find out what it means, none of this stuff is free. An average price seems to be about $100 per standard... :mad:

aaargh! somebody educate me. Maybe I'm going overboard, but my curiosity has me hooked now.

I'm thinking about the Airstream AS-400 (10 cfm) for reasons stated by Todd (heat/humidity of Southeast Texas) and for the extra head/face/eye protection. I was very interested in the Trend too until I decided for the latter.

Brad

Ken Salisbury
06-10-2004, 2:25 PM
<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 76322" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Todd Burch</TD><TD class=alt2>So, Ken, how well would that work in REAL humidity?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It is pretty humid in the Great State of Bama seems to work just fine.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 76299" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Mike Stanton</TD><TD class=alt2>Can you wear it all day? How much was it and where did you get it?

Mike

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I never spend more than 3 hours/day on the lathe, however it seems light and comfortable enough to wear for long periods. I got mine from Woodcraft since I like to patronize those who support us (FPP that is)

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 76301" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Steven Wilson</TD><TD class=alt2>Ken, do you know how the BS EN 146 THP2 rating translates over to NIOSH. I've been using the 3M for a few years and it's fine for nuisance dust (fine for general lathe work, except sanding without DC, or finishing) but doesn’t get down to filtering like an Airmate or Airmaster system</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have no idea

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 76348" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>John Bush</TD><TD class=alt2>Ken, Does this set-up include the nitrous oxide tank hook up? John</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Not that I am aware of :)

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 76341" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Dan Bussiere</TD><TD class=alt2>Ken,

Nice set up but I see you didn't go for the optional Bud Light Straw Attachment. Now thats gonna slow you down

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am working on a design modification to correct that shortfall. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-10-2004, 2:55 PM
Ken
I would be extremely interested in how it works out for you.
As you know I have the same affliction lac-a-lung capacity.
Been breathing too much saw dust over 30 years.
Daniel
:confused:

Alan Tolchinsky
06-10-2004, 4:47 PM
O.K. Ken you caught me. I just wanted to see you wearing it. :) But seriously wear this in good health; it sounds like it's just the ticket for you and maybe for a lot of us. Alan in Md. (ain't no 'Bama but it's hot here too)

Greg Heppeard
06-10-2004, 5:29 PM
:) oops need more letters to post :)