PDA

View Full Version : Small Scratch Removal on Marble

David Dustin
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry we have been scarce as of late, but the "other" business has some deadlines looming...

We did a Black marble plaque for a client and I noticed some small scratches in the plate (after we had engraved it).

What are some good methods to remove them (I read a couple other posts where regular automotive polishing compound could work)?

The scratches are very light, just enough to catch your fingernail.

I tried a buffing wheel on a small piece and it was quite a bit duller where I buffed it (even with a clean wheel and no compound).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

David

Belinda Barfield
12-05-2008, 1:07 PM
Hopefully someone here on the Creek will have some better news for you, but in my experience there is no way to obtain the same level of factory polish without the factory equipment. We resurface quite a bit of marble, and it s a painstaking process. Typically, trying to buff out a scratch just makes it more noticeable. We have had good luck with a repair system called A.R.T. StoneLux Advanced Repair Technology. However, we deal more with deep scratches and cracks. We also remove material with a Dremel in order to create enough area for the the repair to "stick". The kit is available from www.braxtonbragg.com (http://www.braxtonbragg.com) for $1900 (unless they have had a recent price increase).

Joe Pelonio
12-05-2008, 1:18 PM
After the automotive rubbing compound, try a good automotive wax over the entire face of the marble. If that works, let us know. Otherwise the time it would take to do wet sanding with progressively finer grits up to 1200 may not be worth the time and could make it worse.

Dave Johnson29
12-05-2008, 1:56 PM
What are some good methods to remove them (I read a couple other posts where regular automotive polishing compound could work)?

Hi David,

I posted some information on this when Steve was having a bad first day. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=972752&postcount=13

That may get you started. You can can also get a good array of polishing compounds (pastes) at www.msc-direct.com.

The important thing is to use a flat surface as a support for whatever you are using to polish. Using a finger or buffing wheel will rub small shallows and will look awful. A buffing disk would be OK, but go lightly.

David Dustin
12-05-2008, 2:09 PM
Thanks for the posts guys (and gal).
The scratches are close to the engraved lettering and one is close to the image.

Long story but I had instructed #1 son to use one of the new plaques we had just gotten in. The others had been moved around a bit and take on the road when we were doing the "mobile" thing. They didn't fare well it seems. #1 opted to use one that had "mileage" on it. I understand his line of thinking that we need to use them for something.

#1 and my wife say I am very picky and have too high of standards, to which I say "thank you very much". This stuff basically has my name on it (as does my animation company) and that means a lot to me.
It has to be right.....

Looks like we'll be making that one over (this will be the 3rd because the first had a crack in it)...

Thanks,
David

Darryl Hazen
12-05-2008, 6:07 PM
David,

If the scratch is visible because it is white against the black maybe something as simple as rubbing in black shoe polish and then buffing would make it almost disappear.