PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi Reconditioned

Kevin Godshall
12-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Has anyone else had any experience with this site or their products? Success/Failure?

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/default.aspx

I ordered a Random Orbital Sander, and after only 5 minutes of use, it would not keep running. I had to physically hold the Off/On switch in a very specific location to get it to work. After calling them, they set up a return and then forwarded another sander. (Bad news for me, they only use FedEx, and being rural here, I had to drive 30 miles to drop off the return).

The 2nd sander arrived and I put it to work. Turning it on, I thought, "My, how quiet and smooth this one runs". After touching it to the piece of walnut I was working and having it stall right out, I resisted every urge to shove it through the planer.

No matter how lightly I attempted to sand with it, it bogged down to the point that it would not take any material off of the piece I was working on.

Calling them back, there was kind of the suggestion that I was a problem customer. "We cannot understand why you are having any problems with these sanders. Send it back and when we receive it, we will issue a refund". No investigation into the problem, no "what can we do to help you out", nothing. Send it back, we are done dealing with you forever.

Oh well, back to DeWalt I guess.

scott spencer
12-05-2008, 9:45 AM
Hi Kevin - AFAIK, they're a reputable business and are the only authorized Hitachi refurb center. Not sure why you're having those issues, but I'd expect them to at least take care of you.

Last winter I ordered a 12V cordless Hitachi drill w/flashlight and an M12VC fixed base router. The router, drill, and flashlight were perfect but the charger didn't work right. They replaced it without issue, so all was well. I just placed an order for a 12V Hitachi impact driver last night.

Lloyd McKinlay
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Looks like three different shipments of reconditioned tools and each one had a problem, not a good sign IMO.

Many items (at least sale items) on their website are out of stock. Many, many months ago I signed up for e-mail notification when an item, discontinued by Hitachi, would be available. After waiting a couple months I asked if, since the item was no longer manufactured, they expected to receive additional units. They did not know.

Their website still lists the item, discontinued at least 6-9 months, as "on sale", which I find somewhat deceiving.

Jim Kountz
12-05-2008, 1:09 PM
I guess Im lucky, I have bought ALOT of tools from them over the past year and all have been great. I got the small air compressor, cordless framing nailer, the 18v cordless kit, and some others. Shipping was always fast and packed great and the tools look and perform as new. Sorry to hear you got a bum tool.

scott spencer
12-05-2008, 2:49 PM
Looks like three different shipments of reconditioned tools and each one had a problem, not a good sign IMO.

My first order was two separate tools...one was fine, one was not, so it's really 2 out or 3. Still not good, but it's not likely that 66% failure is the norm...though it's possible that they're aware of ongoing problems with that particular sander. I was still satisfied enough in the end that I was comfortable placing another order.

I know of several others who've had good dealings with ReconSales. My 12v drill/flashlight was $39, the M12VC router was < $60, and the 12V impact driver I ordered last night was < $60...they also have very reasonable shipping. The items should be working on the first try, but as long as they continue to offer good deals on good products with an acceptable success rate along with good service, they're likely to get some of my business. I'm not really trying to defend them, but what they offer at the prices they offer makes me a bit more tolerant than paying top dollar.

Kevin Godshall
12-08-2008, 11:54 AM
My first order was two separate tools...one was fine, one was not, so it's really 2 out or 3. Still not good, but it's not likely that 66% failure is the norm...though it's possible that they're aware of ongoing problems with that particular sander. I was still satisfied enough in the end that I was comfortable placing another order.

I know of several others who've had good dealings with ReconSales. My 12v drill/flashlight was $39, the M12VC router was < $60, and the 12V impact driver I ordered last night was < $60...they also have very reasonable shipping. The items should be working on the first try, but as long as they continue to offer good deals on good products with an acceptable success rate along with good service, they're likely to get some of my business. I'm not really trying to defend them, but what they offer at the prices they offer makes me a bit more tolerant than paying top dollar.

I appreciate your input. I was really stoked on the idea of getting a brand name sander at an unbelievable price, but for me, this has really turned into a headache.

Now they have sent me a FedEx mailing label that I must use within 2 weeks to return the product, or I'm on the hook for it, with a tool I can't use. It's 30 miles to the closest FedEx pickup spot and my shop is crammed full of must-do's before Christmas.

I have recommended them (prior to my own experiences, my bad) to many contractors and DIYers here in the area. I guess I may learn a lesson in using my own reputation before I check out someone else's.

Glad to hear others are having luck with them. I'm 2x bitten, 10x shy now though. Thanks for all the input.

Jerome Hanby
12-08-2008, 1:08 PM
My dad bought two reconditioned 18-v li-ion drill kits from them, one for each of us and they've worked like a champ. Think he brought my BIL one also, heard no complaints from him either.

Kevin Godshall
01-07-2009, 3:23 PM
Final Nail in the Coffin for Me

So, after 3 weeks of waiting to be credited for returning the orbital, I finally gave in and called Reconditioned Sales up.

The first response I got, was that they had been trying to call me for 2 weeks, but my line was apparently disconnected and they weren't able to get thru. He was very surprised that I was using the same number he had tried so many times.

Secondly, the returned sander had been fully tested by the techs, and found to be in perfect working condition. The issue must be with me, not understanding how much pressure one can put on an orbital, and I was causing it to stall out.

I informed the gentleman, in no questionable terminology, that my DeWalt DW421 with 120 grit paper, has no problems removing planer marks from any wood, especially pine. Yet, their perfectly working model, refused to even spin when it contacted material.

So, to end the conversation, he stated that a reconditioned Hitachi sander would not be of sufficient power to do the tasks that I was requiring of it........... (oh my). And...... there is of course the re-stocking fee and loss of S/H charges.... so I problaby owe them more money now too.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Jim Kountz
01-07-2009, 4:16 PM
Dang Kevin this truly sucks!! I hate to hear someone getting the screws put to them and it sounds like you sure have. I have had nothing but positive experiences with these folks but the way they are handling yours makes me think twice about them now. If the sander performed like you said it did then they owe you another sander or a refund. End of story, customer is always right. (he readies his flame retardant suit waiting for the other shoe to fall)

scott spencer
01-07-2009, 4:37 PM
That does suck Kevin. The fact that they're not standing fully behind you is the most bothersome part for me. I'm not sure I'd be willing to let it go at this point....contact Hitachi's customer service. Here's the email of the fellow that took excellent care of me when I inquired about getting a 1/2" collet for my router - jefferyr@hitachi-powertools.com.

Since this was originally posted I ordered a 12V impact driver for $59 from ReconSales that uses the same battery set as my 12V drill, and it's been super....like new even. Granted, I"m not using any of these tools professionally or even heavily for that matter but they've worked nicely.

Mike Lipke
01-07-2009, 5:48 PM
This is really odd timing.
I was set this morning to order either one of two Hitachi compressors from this same company. I had a question that would help me decide which one was best for me.
Anyway, there is a number to call. Dial 1 for this, and 2 for that, you know.
Dial 5 is if you have a product question. Ok, sez I, and I hit 5.
I get another recording that says this mailbox is full, and cannot accept any more messages, please call during business hours.

I WAS CALLING DURING BUSINESS Hours!! (9:30am their time, and they open at 7:30)

Then I looked at their return policy, and it clearly states that if you return the tool, you pay freight back (which is not that odd) and a 15% restock charge. There is no language that says even if you get a Dead On Arrival, that you don't pay the 15%, so I guess they always charge that fee.

Between the full message box and the 15% thing, I decided to pass on doing business with them. Now this thread reappears, and I am happy that I passed.

Oh, by the way....They claim to be the only authorized service center for Hitachi. The warranty on their site says you can return a defective tool to them, or, TO ANY OTHER AUTHORIZED HITACHI SERVICE CENTER for warranty repair. I speak English as a native tongue, and I don't see how that makes any sense.

Tom Veatch
01-07-2009, 6:41 PM
...Oh, by the way....They claim to be the only authorized service center for Hitachi. The warranty on their site says you can return a defective tool to them, or, TO ANY OTHER AUTHORIZED HITACHI SERVICE CENTER for warranty repair. I speak English as a native tongue, and I don't see how that makes any sense.

Doesn't make any sense to me, either. Using this link (http://www.hitachipowertools.com/where_search.php), I found three (3) authorized service centers in Wichita, Kansas.

Maybe what they are trying to say is that they are the only authorized service center within 1/4 mile of their location.

Ok, I went to the link in the OP and saw the "Only authorized..." logo and clicked on it for more details. What they are claiming is that they are the only authorized RECONDITIONING center. According to them (http://www.reconditionedsales.com/AuthorizedDealer.aspx), Hitachi outsourced reconditioning exclusively to them in August 2007.

Kevin Godshall
01-07-2009, 6:58 PM
I dunno........ from what I am lead to believe by "Hitachi approved" techs, the power on their orbital sander is well below even what I could get from Harbor Freight. I couldn't sand the dust from off the top of the board, let alone try to remove machine marks or smooth a surface. With my DeWalt, I've flattened glued up oak panels, surfaced hickory, etc etc.

For me, this isn't only a lost customer to Recon Sales......... this impacts my purchase decision to Hitachi in general.

I told the CSR, that the 1st sander I was shipped, started and ran hard. I mean, it torqued my hand when it fired off. I thought OH YEAH!! HERE WE GO!! Then the Off/On switch wouldn't work. OK, nbd. Return it for another.

Got the 2nd one, I turned it on, and thought.........hmmmm, is this variable speed? No, just off/on. OK, lets try it on this piece of walnut. (Goes from 1/4 speed to no speed). OK, lets try pine (Same effect) (resisting urge to bang it off the wall).

Then to have CSR tell me, Obviously you put too much pressure on it and stalled it out. To which I replied...... Well I did actually want to remove some wood............

Thanks to all for their condolences and replies. I will stick with my trusty old DeWalt.

Mike Lipke
01-07-2009, 7:03 PM
I've got some Hitachi tools, and I think the problem comes from the "reconditioner", not the manufacturer. My Hitachi stuff works good. Real good, actually.
This outfit is the prollem here, in my opinion.
Is the word "shlock" in the dictionary? Hitachi is not well served by this outfit.