PDA

View Full Version : On the table:Kreg vs Festool MFT

Tim Allaire
12-05-2008, 7:30 AM
Just wondering about your opinion?! I need a versatile table for a small shop. I would invest the time to make one but do not have the time (should have started my christmas projects yesterday). Which is more worth the money? I do not have any Festool products (however I believe santa is bringing a domino). I have had hopes to get the Festool circ. saw too but not anytime soon (although I already have Jet bandsaw and tablesaw). My goal is making furniture (tables, desk, island for the kitchen, and various small projects). Love the portability of the MFT but the price (ouch)! Suggestions?

Tim

Per Swenson
12-05-2008, 8:21 AM
Tim,

To be Frank, the MFT3 is useless without the TS55 and you are
going to need and want a dust extractor. Seeing as you are going to need dust extraction for the domino...If you don't use it the domino binds up,
what the heck? I know nothing of the kreg bench, but I will say that every Kreg product I do own has worked flawlessly.
Here is a PDF of my MFT3 review.
Hope this helps. (http://swensonz.com/Swenson_MFT3_MOW.doc)MFT3 (http://swensonz.com/Swenson_MFT3_MOW.doc)

Jim Becker
12-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I agree with Per, for the most part. The MFT is a wonderful product, but doesn't represent a great value without using the "system" for which it was designed. A "naked" one certainly would make a nice portable table setup, but I'd explore other options just to cover your bases. I've not been disappointed with any Kreg products, either...

Tim Allaire
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Suggestions for other portable tables?

Tim Allaire
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally, I though it could be used as a portable clamping table...No? My thought was to purchase the MFT/3 basic and get the TS55 later. (accompanied by a dust extractor from my Domino) My other question...would this take the place of my table saw?

Greg Cole
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Tim,
I have no input on the tables, but can add a +1 to needing dust extraction with the Domi.
I adapted my shop vac to mine, but one of the black n green vac's will wind up in the shop "one of these days", as I hate the loud dust pump of a shop "vac" (even with the good filter).

Greg

Tim Allaire
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Any way I could hook that up to my DC?

Burt Waddell
12-05-2008, 6:10 PM
Suggestions for other portable tables?

Tim,

Go to the Eurekazone forum here on sawmill creek and check out Stickey Threads.

The Basic EZ table is great for cutting, routing, assembly work, etc. I've personally made several of the tables and can vouch for their usefulness.

As for your question about a dust collector and the Domino, I don't think the two would work well together. A relative small tool like the domino will need suction instead of air flow to move chips and dust. A Shop Vac is primarily suction and a dust collector is primarily air flow.

Burt