PDA

View Full Version : shaper motor malfunction/ poss. upgrade

Ron Bontz
12-05-2008, 1:06 AM
Well I was using my shaper today doing some rail and stile work when it suddenly would not start and popped the circuit . I noticed it would take right off in reverse but not forward. The spindle would turn freely by hand but as soon as I pushed the switch it would act like it was binding. You know the sound...HMMMMM. Being some what perplexed I took off the belt and it fired right up in foward as well. I put the belt back and it worked once again.???:confused:
Any thoughts on this? Also I have noticed the motor has been bogging down the last few times I used it. My shaper has not been used very much. The cutters have only cut about 30 doors worth, do not appear to be dull and do not burn. So now I am baffled. Under powered 220 volt circuit perhaps???? My unisaw and planer do not have a problem. Last but not least. If I were to replace the 3HP motor; is the X5 Delta as heavy duty as the 5Hp Delta models to support the increased hp? I am all eyes on this one.

Tom Veatch
12-05-2008, 3:07 AM
First thing I think when I hear the symptoms - "HMMMMM", popped breaker, turns freely without power, won't start under load - is start capacitor. But, that doesn't really match with the rest of your report. Could have been some debris in the switch that caused it to temporarily be a high resistance path. I'd take a close look at the various switches for evidence of arcing or high temperatures. May need some cleaning. The motor is probably a TEFC, but if not, and assuming it's a capacitor start motor, include the centrifugal switch in the motor in the list of switches to check and clean as necessary.

Rod Sheridan
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi, since it's a single phase motor, the start switch reverses the starting windings to make the motor change directions.

If it starts in one direction, and not the other, the main windings, starting windings, start capacitor and centrifugal switch are probably OK.

Your problem most likely is with the reversing switch.

Check it for loose connections, and then check it for continuity in both positions.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
12-05-2008, 1:07 PM
Good advice above, to check your motors starter winding centrifugal contacts, and the reversing switch.

All Delta HD shapers are created Equal. Same guts, just a larger amperage motor. But, 3hp is plenty for most any shaping operation. I have a 3hp/1ph *Woodtek* that cuts raised panel profiles (with back cutter) *like Buttah*!!! 5hp would be useful for really Big Stuff, like using a moulding head for cutting wide profiles. Unless you have the 1" spindle cartridge, 5hp is total Overkill for only a 3/4" spindle.

Ron Bontz
12-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am not very knowledgeable with respect to the electrical aspect. Actually anything else for that matter. I run a 1-1/4" spindle on raised panels etc. so I am not to concerned on that. The only other thing I could think of is a voltage drop from the 15 ft. cord running from my outlet to the shaper. But even it is 12 gauge. When my little kitchen is finished I'll be running some new 10 gauge wiring in the walls. Either way, for now it looks like I'll be doing some cleaning and inspecting. Thanks again.:)

Chip Lindley
12-05-2008, 4:27 PM
12ga wiring on 220v should be fine on such a short run. I use this all the time. 10ga is called for for a 30amp circuit, such as a clothes dryer, A/C unit, or 5hp shaper motor. Check your connections from the wall to your motor. Make sure all are secure.

It certainly sounds like your 3hp motor is not suffering from voltage drop, but from some internal deficiency as discussed earlier in this thread. If you are not mechanically/electrically adventurous, having a motor shop take a look will not be expensive. But, blowing everything out with compressed air (inside motor/reversing switch/contactor) might solve your problems without leaving your shop!

Ron Bontz
12-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Well I stopped what I was doing, (sanding raised panels and wishing I had a floor profile sander) yee hah. I took a look at the reversing switch and capacitors which appear to be spotless. Looks like getting to the rest of the electrical is a major under taking. That little door is not exactly conducive to working on the internal parts. I fired it up numerous times in reverse as well as forward, no cutter installed. Reverse definitly seems to take off a hair faster than forward. It's like forward has an extra soft start. I blew out what little bit of dust there was inside the cabinet and motor. No change. So how does one take out the motor?? It appears you have to turn it up side down and remove the cabinet to work on it.

Chip Lindley
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes, upside-down would be best. That is what the Delta manual recommends. Much Easier to unbolt the top and remove the base, then remove the motor. Its a PITA I know!! But taking your motor to a motor shop will allow them to check it out in short order; capacitors, starter winding contacts, the whole schmeer! But Wait !!!

I would look for burnt contacts in your magnetic starter, or reverser switch. These new starters are *way-cheap* compared to the old Furnas industrial starters Rockwell/Delta used for lots of years. I would suspect the contactors are burned somewhere, allowing only erratic current to flow.

The fact that your motor runs stronger one direction than the other leads me to look toward the reversing switch more than the magnetic starter. (I certainly hope you have not tried reversing the motor while current was on--A BIG No-No!)

It could only be a loose connection, which can cause loss of power. Unplug the machine and check all wire terminal connections inside the starter and reverser switches before dismounting that motor. Good Luck !!