PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Luthiers here on the creek?

Dennis Peacock
06-09-2004, 12:50 AM
I have started a bass guitar thread in the OT forum and Jim Becker mentioned why not "build" your own bass guitar.? :confused:

Cause I don't know how! All I'm trying to figure out is IF I should try to BUILD a Bass Guitar or keep searching the world over for a good quality bass with a 30" scale neck and buy it.

I'm am a woodworker....just not a luthier and building the NECK part would just scare the "you know what" out of me.

Thoughts, concerns and ideas and even advise is welcomed.

G.C. Wagner
06-09-2004, 8:18 AM
Try Stewart McDonald at this link: Stewart Mcdonald (http://www.stewmac.com)

Do a search for bass and you will come up with several pages of stuff. About 3 pages in there is a book on how to build your own bass. They are a pretty good source for parts also.

Hope this helps.
Gerry

Lars Thomas
06-09-2004, 9:22 AM
Dennis, I've built the bass guitar kit from Stewart MacDonald - while that certainly does not make me a luthier, I do think I have the bug. I am trying to work up the nerve to build an a acoustical (Western). Just to get a taste of it, I may try the Grizzley kit.

I seem to recall seeing a forum dedicated to luthiers (obviously would not be attended by the quality of folks you see here ;) ) You could probably goggle it pretty easy.

Good luck with your's and let us know how it goes. Lars

Steven Wilson
06-09-2004, 9:46 AM
A bolt on neck bass is a good starter project, if you like bolt on necks. It affords you the opportunity to try different necks with a body, or different bodies with a neck. Neck carving from scratch is something that takes time to get good at. You may make a passable first neck but probably not as good as one on a Tobias, Warwick, Alembic, etc. There are various stages that you can get a neck in. You can buy one premade that only needs the head shaped, buy a fingerboard w/ fret slots already cut and then make the neck yourself, or make the neck from scratch. If you go the later route you'll probably spend most of your time making jigs to improve your precision. As for sources, Stewart MacDonald is a good start. You should also look at Warmoth (www.warmoth.com). I've bought a few guitar necks from them (cost effective) and then made funky tele bodies to fit. Another must check out place is Luthiers Mercantile International (www.lmii.com), they're a great source of most everything and they perform some usefull shop services like make radius finger boards or cut fret slots (30" scale length they do).

Darlene D
06-09-2004, 9:55 AM
An extremely good web-site for luthiers is www.timelessinstruments.com. It might provide you will some information that will help you to make your decision easier.

Steve Ulrich
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Dennis,
I'm certainly not a luthier, but I've had the bug to build an acoustic instrument for a while. Unfortunately, other projects have taken priority. I have a few sites bookmarked that I occasionaly visit:

The Musical Instrument Maker's Forum, http://www.mimf.com/ is a good resource of info. Registering there will open up a lot of archives for you, as well.

As previously stated, StewMac is also good source of material and info.

good luck,
steve

Keith Outten
06-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Dennis,

There is a member of SMC who builds and repairs musical intruments and is a professional. His name is Jim Creech and although he isn't active on the board he owns stock in Hampton Roads Online and is one of my very oldest friends. Jim is also an accomplished boat builder and would be glad to help you in any way he can.

Send Jim an email and mention my name, he will respond to your questions.

jim@hroads.net

I have been trying to get Jim to be an active member for over a year but his personal schedule has been as busy as mine. If we can get Jim to join us we would all benfit from his experiance with musical instruments and Jim builds the most beautiful strip canoes from western red ceder you have ever seen.

Ken Garlock
06-09-2004, 2:23 PM
Dennis, if you want a one hour lesson from a master, get a hold of the DIY channel program on making a guitar. Lynn Dodenbostel shows how to do the job. There is a lot of hand work involved as you would guess, but also some power tools. All the instruments he produces are done by him in his own shop.

Dedenbostel Guitar (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_dhmm/episode/0,2046,DIY_16997_32405,00.html)

In another show, Lynn shows how to build a Mandolin.

Aaron Heck
06-09-2004, 2:52 PM
I also wanted to build one of the Warmoth Gecko basses.

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/GEK6basses.htm

Dennis Peacock
06-10-2004, 12:46 AM
Guys and Gals....

you're all too kind.!!! I will check out the web sites and maybe look more into building my own bass guitar. After all...it's just wood....right? :confused:

The only real part that overly concerns me is the NECK and getting a correct scale length. Maybe I can talk with Tobias and get the to make me a Tobias neck!!! :D

Jim Becker
06-10-2004, 9:21 AM
The only real part that overly concerns me is the NECK and getting a correct scale length.
Simple solution...go fretless. :D A little bit of a learning curve, but once you're there, the sound flexibilty can be awesome.

BTW, working with a solid body instrument like this will not be nearly as difficult as building an accoustic instrument. The resources given above look really nice...I'm bookmarking them for future reference in case I decide to get back into making some music and combining woodworking with that effort.

Gary Whitt
06-10-2004, 10:26 AM
"Simple solution...go fretless. " :eek:
Jim you are absolutely right.....

Upright bass.... the original fretless design! :rolleyes:
Nothing like slapping a doghouse!!! :D

Jim Becker
06-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Garry, a friend of mine has a fretless Precision and it's a wonderful sound. If I were to build one, I'd definitely consider fretless, especially since I already have a serviceable (although inexpensive Jazz copy) bass with little pieces of metal all over the neck. I'd love to learn to play without them.

Dennis Peacock
06-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Well...I just found out that StewMac does not offer anything in the area for a 30" scale neck. Just raw blanks to make your own.

Jim....Going Fretless doesn't fix the DISTANCE between where your fingers have to be to remain ON KEY. The slightest position variance from pitch and it begins to sound like a RUB...which later turns to noise. So, for now, I'll stay with frets.!! :D

Jim Becker
06-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Jim....Going Fretless doesn't fix the DISTANCE between where your fingers have to be to remain ON KEY. The slightest position variance from pitch and it begins to sound like a RUB...which later turns to noise. So, for now, I'll stay with frets.!!
True. But you're a musician...and by definition you can train yourself to stay on key! (And much better than me, I have no doubt) :o

Steven Wilson
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Jim,

A fretless bass isn't a substitute for one with frets; they're two different animals and require a somewhat different approach. I like my fretless (have it set up to be a killer Mowtown bass) but it doesn't really have the growl that I like for r&r, for that I like frets. Besides, frets add rigidity to the neck that should be taken into account when building a fretless neck; changes to either the truss rod, neck thickness, or fretboard need to be looked at.

Jim Becker
06-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Makes absolute sense, Steve. It's been few years since I've played and being primarily a keyboardist, some of the "finer points" of stringed instruments tend not to be at the forefront of my thought process.

So what you're really saying is that Dennis should have both! :eek: :D

Gary Whitt
06-10-2004, 12:19 PM
Dennis, when playing a fiddle or upright bass, if I hit a sharp or flat, I can simply roll my finger enough to be on key. The note sounds like a slide or hammer-on, and an intentional one at that! It is such a quick note (usually 1/4 or faster), most people won't notice.
Now, fretless banjo..... a whole 'nuther animal!!!! :rolleyes:

Ken Garlock
06-10-2004, 3:10 PM
Well...I just found out that StewMac does not offer anything in the area for a 30" scale neck. Just raw blanks to make your own.

Jim....Going Fretless doesn't fix the DISTANCE between where your fingers have to be to remain ON KEY. The slightest position variance from pitch and it begins to sound like a RUB...which later turns to noise. So, for now, I'll stay with frets.!! :D

To be redundant, get a hold of the DudenBostel video. He will show you how to build the neck with brass rod reinforcement and a dovetail connection to the body. AND how to cut the groove for the frets and how to mount them. This guy is not the normal slouch you see on a lot of the DIY programs.

Disclaimer, What I know about musical instruments you could write on the head of a pin with a cold chisel.