PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi tablesaw--what to do, opinions????

Chris Brault
12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I have the hitachi c10fl tablesaw (500$, Lowes) and have owned it for about 1.5 years. 2 year warranty i guess on this saw. Out of all the tools in my shop this has been the one to cause me the most headaches,,,,,,,, about 95% of them dealing with the fence. I absolutely hate the fence on this machine. I'm extremely happy with the saw except for the fence. What do u guys suggest?? Here are my ideas-

This is the one I'm itching to do the most. Sell it for 200 to 250$ and just be honest with somebody "that i've had some trouble with the fence and they'll have to tear it apart or replace it" and go buy the grizzly 0478. ( Limited to 110 voltage) or the shop fox 1478.

Try to put biesemeyer or another "quality" fence on the machine??????? Is it possible??????? Don't want to be "stuck" with a fence that won't go on it.

Try to go to Lowes and see if there is a way to send this fence back or whatever (it doesn't work right,,,,,,, never has) and see if there is anyway to get (pay more or whatever) the fence and rail system off of the big brother to this the C10LA. I'm assuming that system is different than mine and better,,,,,,,,,, or at least I would hope...

Thanks for the advice ahead of time. This fence is giving me nightmares!!!!

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2008, 10:17 PM
There's another option you have not considered. Put it into a cauldron and melt it down. You could make this an "event" and charge admission. Probably make enough to buy a "real" table saw. You should at least make enough to cover what you could expect to get for it if you managed to find a buyer. You might even get it onto one of those reality TV shows.

Chris Brault
12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I know what your saying. Trust me,,,,, I'll do better on the next one---- was just starting in the hobby and got in a hurry on that purchase.

Rich Engelhardt
12-05-2008, 6:41 AM
Hello,
Welcome to Hitachi hell, from another 95% satisfied Hitachi TS owner.
I have one of their job site models.
I also have the same lament - I love the saw - but _____(insert list of hated items).

I ended up going to HD and buying a TS3660 Ridgid.

Here's my suggestion.
Don't sell it. Replace it, but don't take that ~ $300 beating.
A second TS is simply too handy to have around for that.

- Will it take a stacked dado blade? - if it will, you can use it as a dedicated dado saw. Since 99% of the time I find myself using a sacrifical fence w/my dado blade - that eliminates the fence issue.
(I just checjed the specs - & yes it will handle up to a 13/16" dado blade)

- Can you mount a router in it? - again, if so, that also eliminates the fence issue.(again - just looked at a picture - & that might be difficult - doable - but -)

- Taper jig, sliding rip sled, crosscut sled - some ideas for jigs you can also use that don't rely on the fence.

I had the same idea w/my Hitachi - sell it for ~ half what I paid (I paid $199.00 for the job site model). I was -><- this close to making a deal on it, then thought about what I could buy for $100.00, and decided to hang on to it. The "good" far outweighed the "bad".

LOL! You always could pick up another TS and be the only one on the block to have a cast iron outfeed - if you back the Hitachi up to it ;).
Heck that alone is worth some gloat points. :D

scott spencer
12-05-2008, 7:09 AM
I'd buy a Delta T2 fence, possibly from Lowes. It's normally $150....bet you could talk them into a discount...maybe $120. It'll fit with minimal drilling (cast iron drills easily). The Hitachi fence might fetch something on Ebay...even if it's $35-$50. So for roughly $100 you'll have pretty nice fence on a saw that you otherwise like.

Chris Brault
12-05-2008, 8:56 AM
sounds good scott, what about the rails though? I would rather go this rout for now,,,,, because eventually I'd like to save my money and get the powermatic pm 2000 or that new unisaw coming out --and get 220 out to the shop,,,,,,,, but I'm a little tight on funds now,,, would llike to get another 5-10 yrs out of this saw.

scott spencer
12-05-2008, 9:50 AM
sounds good scott, what about the rails though? I would rather go this rout for now,,,,, because eventually I'd like to save my money and get the powermatic pm 2000 or that new unisaw coming out --and get 220 out to the shop,,,,,,,, but I'm a little tight on funds now,,, would llike to get another 5-10 yrs out of this saw.

Rails and fence are proprietary to each other...when I say "new fence", I really mean "new fence and rails". The prices I mentioned included both.

I would go in and talk to a Lowes manager and explain the issues you've had with the fence, and mention the possibility of a discount on the T2. They might even offer a better solution, but at the very for roughly $100 you should be able to make a major fence upgrade.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I would go in and talk to a Lowes manager and explain the issues you've had with the fence, and mention the possibility of a discount on the T2. They might even offer a better solution, but at the very for roughly $100 you should be able to make a major fence upgrade.

I second this. I had an older delta TS and the fence/rails really drove me crazy - I was ready to melt it down (as suggested above :) ) but I ended up putting on a Biesemeyer fence, and have never regretted it. While I still plan on getting a new saw at some point, this one upgrade has made the saw orders of magnitude more useful and I think it'll be useful for me for a few more years.

Matthew Hills
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
If the saw is fine, other than the fence, I'd suggest just getting a delta T2 or a mulecab fence (http://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html).

http://www.mulecab.com/images/fenceOnsaw.jpg

Matt

Chris Brault
12-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks Scott, John and Matt for the advice. I will definately go that rout! There talking about layoff possibilities where I work , so I really didn't want to spend 1000-on up for a new saw right now.

Curt Harms
12-06-2008, 9:22 AM
If the saw is fine, other than the fence, I'd suggest just getting a delta T2 or a mulecab fence (http://www.mulecab.com/tablesaw.html).

http://www.mulecab.com/images/fenceOnsaw.jpg

Matt

I have this fence on a G1023. It'll fit any saw with a square front table edge. Bolts go thru the back of the rail into whatever holes are there. You drill the fence rail so there are no alignment issues. I used dowel centers to mark the holes in the fence rail. The downside to this fence is that rather than lifting it off like the Bies clones, you have to slide it off the end of the fence. If you remove the fence frequently this could be a drag, especially with longer rails.

HTH

Curt

larry cronkite
12-06-2008, 9:43 AM
I have the same saw and had not used it too long before I had a serious kickback that dented the fence. I called the local (Atlanta area) Hitachi parts warehouse and they replaced the fence free. No more problems.

I have the Hitachi for sale now because I just finished assembling my new SawStop CS. (Gloat...Gloat)

I upgraded for safety - not because of any Hitachi TS problems.

If I don't sell the Hitachi I may follow the above idea of using it for a dedicated dado saw.

Karl Knoernschild
12-07-2008, 2:07 PM
I have the same saw and had major issues with the inaccuracy of the fence. Like you, I wouldn't buy this saw knowing what I know now, but I bought the Mule Accusquare fence that is listed above, and it made a HUGE difference. There are still issues with the saw, but they are much easier to work around than not having a decent fence.

Mike Buelow
12-08-2008, 1:08 PM
My main beef with the saw is the blade angle. I can get it aligned but it drifts as I tighten down the bolts. Any suggestions on that one?

Cary Falk
12-08-2008, 5:29 PM
Mike, PALS are the answer to the alignment. IF you are saying that the saw falls out of alignment when you tilt the blade, that is a table mounted trunion issue. You might call in-line industries and see if thaey make a PALS system for your saw. http://www.in-lineindustries.com/saw_pals.html

Scott Thornton
12-08-2008, 8:57 PM
Like others have said here, new fence or new saw. If you find yourself doing a lot of woodworking, I'd say it's time for an upgrade.

Jim Heffner
12-08-2008, 9:12 PM
If you are having those problems all the time, might be a good time to start over with the alignment of the saw from front to back following the instruction manual. As others have said.....get rid of that stock p.o.s. fence and buy a good upgrade. I bought the Delta T-2 fence and rails from Lowe's for one of my saws.....best money I ever spent on it! A mediocre saw, well aligned with a good fence and rails will cut as smooth and easy as any hybrid or cabinet saw if you handle it properly and let the saw make the cut and don't force the wood thru the blade.

scott spencer
12-08-2008, 10:10 PM
My main beef with the saw is the blade angle. I can get it aligned but it drifts as I tighten down the bolts. Any suggestions on that one?

You may find that the bolts and washers used to hold the trunnions to the table are too soft. Replacing them with better quality hardware is inexpensive and fairly easy. If that's not it, there may be a burr on the trunnion bracket that's causing some trouble, in which case it'd need to be filed flat....I'd try the hardware upgrade first. The PALS are a good idea if they make a set to fit that saw.

Fred Belknap
12-09-2008, 7:15 AM
I agree with Scott the T-2 fence and rails are an excellent choice, accurate and smooth.

Chris Brault
12-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I bought that T-2 last weekend as Scott and others suggested. Man, I tell ya, that's the best 150$ I've spent in awhile. Taking the Hitachi fence off and feeling the weight of that material,, then grabbing that Delta rails and fence,,,,,,,,,,,,, no comparison. It made me wish I'd done this when I first bought the saw!! What a difference! The day I posted this thread I wrote hitachi c.s. and asked them if there was a way I could purchase the fence and rails from the C10LA, didn't hear anything.

Mike Buelow
12-09-2008, 2:25 PM
You may find that the bolts and washers used to hold the trunnions to the table are too soft. Replacing them with better quality hardware is inexpensive and fairly easy. If that's not it, there may be a burr on the trunnion bracket that's causing some trouble, in which case it'd need to be filed flat....I'd try the hardware upgrade first. The PALS are a good idea if they make a set to fit that saw.

Thanks I'll have to try that!

I should say I spend my weekends maintaining tools-- not using them, per se.

Russ Kay
12-09-2008, 2:51 PM
Another vote for the Delta T2. For years I was unhappy with the stock fence on my Jet Contractor's saw, even complained to Jet when it was new and they sent me a new fence -- didn't help much.

I asked at the nearest Woodcraft, and they offered to special-order a Biesemeyer at $600 or so. Then I found out about the T2 on this forum.
My local Lowes didn't carry it, so I ordered it from Lowes.com -- $135 + $4.99 shipping last June!

The T2 is great.

-- Russ