PDA

View Full Version : 0.10" thick material suggestion

Bob Cooper
12-04-2008, 10:02 PM
I'm building 3/4 panels for my GE frig. The construction says to attach the panels to a .25 "backer panel" and then a 0.10 spacer. (see attached).

I've got .25" plywood but wondering what to use for the 0.10 spacer? Is Luan (sp?) or door skin the right thickness? Originally i thought i'd just cut some .1" spacers but a whole panel, like what's shown, would be better i suppose.

Jamie Buxton
12-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Plywood called 1/8" is now pretty close to .1".

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-05-2008, 5:02 PM
Seems to me there should be a spacer provided.
one hundred thousandths of an inch is a weird dimension to just tell people they gotta provide.

Paul Atkins
12-05-2008, 5:13 PM
Why not just use one 3/8" panel instead of two pieces? I doubt 3/8" ply is .375 - probably closer to the .310

Karl Brogger
12-05-2008, 8:16 PM
I've used thin washers for the spacer between the panel and the backer. Usually there is somewhere you can screw the 1/4 backer on with out hitting something on the fridge.

Put the screws through the 1/4", put the washers over them, set the panel down, flip it over the whole thing, check the margins, drive the screws home.

Mike OToole
12-05-2008, 9:23 PM
I've use foam packing wrap to space out panels for Monogram fridges in the past. Stops things from bouncing around, but has enough give and also deadens the sound.

Mike

Chip Lindley
12-05-2008, 9:41 PM
I am not sure from the diagram you include, what purpose this .10 spacer thingie plays. Why not use double-sided foam tape to attach the whole thing? It is rather permanent, but can be detatched if need by with a heatgun or judicious use of mineral spirits. Beats drilling holes in a perfectly good Fridge if you, or *YBH* decides to redecorate again!

Bob Cooper
12-05-2008, 10:00 PM
all good suggestions...yes, this is a monogram frig. The 1/10 of an inch is to account for the thichness of the existing metal frame (you can see it in black at the top of the picture). So the 1/4 in back slides into a slot and the 1/10 is to account for the slot frame thickness.

I dropped by HD and they do have 1/8 hardboard that i could use if i need a solid spacer but it seems like the washer technique or the plastic cushion could work too.