View Full Version : simple newbie questions

chris ormsby
12-04-2008, 9:39 PM
Ok as I posted a few weeks ago, I got my new GI vs lathe and mounted it on a temp bench while fabricating a permanent stand. I picked up a bottle stopper starter kit from WC. Now the questions begin. I have been working with a jacobs chuck on the headstock side chucking up on the mandrel. This set seems to be extended quite a bit out from the spindle. Would it be worth a collet holder to mount on the spindle? My tallon chuck seems like the body of the chuck would get in the way. Secondly, is the sandpaper from psi good quality, and will I need all 5 grits 150-600? $22.95 for 5 rolls 20' long.
Can I try pen turning without a lot of specailty tools to assemble etc? (wife would love a pen to show off at work, and lets remember she didn't kill me when I bought the new lathe.) I don't know how many pens I would want to do so I don't want to invest much into it if possible.
Can a search the membership here to look for local turners in my area? If not any dvd's or vhs media that would be a benefit to purchase? (struggling on some tools) must be operator error I'm sure. Wht didn't anyone tell me you can thread freehand with a skew? It's really cool, all you have to do is not pay attention to the long end of the tool, on top of course, jussssst touch the piece, which is almost the size you meant for it to be, the tool runs down the length of your rest and voila a thread! I have 4 stoppers I would like to post pics of but need direction on the sandpaper and a finish. Thanks again for bearing with my silly questions

Scott Lux
12-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey, Maybe even I can handle some simple questions...

If you can afford a collet chuck then by all means get one. But, it sounds like you can make do nicely without.
I cut the head off a bolt and chcuk that in my el-cheapo chuck. Thread the blank on and turn away. I chose the bolt to closely match the hole size of the PSI stoppers. I have since switched to the Craft Supplies USA (CUSA) droplet stoppers and the bolts still work.
I haven't used the psi sandpaper yet, but it is going to be on my next order. I can't say what you'll need, but I need all five from 150-600. Periodically I need 80 and 100 as well. I also keep 800,1200, & 1500 on hand. Some woods glow when polished that much.
You do not need specialty tools to assemble pens, but a mandrel makes turning them easier. Mandrel, bushings, and a couple of kits should run you less than $50 most places I've seen. I use my vice to assemble them.
Your mileage may vary.

Lux

Matt Wolboldt
12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
One thing that I helped improve my pens, was getting a pen mill. I didn't want to spend the dough, but I always had a gap. Good Luck

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Chris I got this mandrel in the first pic bottom one for doing bottle stoppers from Bill at Arizona Silhouette. You can get it in MT 1 or MT 2. You can get bushing kinda like pens to get the neck size for large and small stoppers. They work great and just makes it easier. The second mandrel can be used with a jacobs chuck.

As for sanding I start sanding my stoppers at 150 and go to 400 sometimes 600. Don't skip grits and blow or clean off the piece before starting the next grit. I have the box with 5 rolls in it. I use each one when sanding a piece without skipping. I use it for pens, stoppers and other small turnings.

For pens I just use my bench vise for woodworking to assemble pens. A friend of mine uses a small pipe clamp to assembly his. A pen mandrel is something you will need plus kits.

Scott Conners
12-05-2008, 1:08 AM
Two of my favorite videos are Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" and Bill Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy." I also like Alan Lacer's "Getting started right" for first timers that can't find someone to tutor, it was a large help to me. There's a fair amount out on the web as well, check out youtube, and these videos (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/121117_woodturning-tools-bowl-gouge-vs.htm)are pretty darn decent for free.

I've attached a picture of the mandrel I use to make bottle stoppers. It's a piece of walnut with all-thread of the proper pitch all the way through the center, threaded into the wood and epoxied in place. It's turned to the same diameter as the top of my stoppers (Ruth Niles SS), and I notched the threads so it is self tapping. I grip it in my scroll chuck. Someday I'll cough up the $25 for one of Ruth's nice MT2 mandrels, but this works for now and cost less than $2 for the all thread. I use the other 9" of all thread as a secondary mandrel for spray finishing.

chris ormsby
12-05-2008, 5:21 AM
Thanks for all the info. I ask because I don't mind investing a bit of money but don't want to waste either. I wasn't sure of the quality of the paper from PSI. Does anyone have a preferred source for pen kits or stoppers hardware? Also salt and pepper mill kits? Junk material will just turn me right off. I have a penn state, rockler and craft supply catalog on hand. Not much time for Christmas gifts. I tend to do good in the 11th hour.

Oh ya why the report this post icon?? If there is anything out of line correct me please

Bernie Weishapl
12-05-2008, 9:53 AM
I buy my pen kits from Beartooth Woods or Arizona Silhouette. Ruth Niles has some good stoppers. I again buy my stoppers and blanks from Bill at Arizona Silhouette. I like buy as much as I can from one supplier so I don't have a whole bunch of multiple orders to save shipping costs. Pepper Mills I get from Craft Supply. Either the Deluxe for the one style or the crush grind.

Scott Conners
12-05-2008, 9:19 PM
I buy Ruth Niles #301 stoppers, solid stainless, never corrode or flake (I've had problems with others) and they sit low in the bottle. http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html
She sells a matching morse taper mandrel as well, if you don't want to make one. There are instructions on the site for 4 or 5 other methods of chucking/turning stoppers as well (including without a mandrel).

The report post icon is a button that's on every post. It's used to bring an inappropriate or rule-breaking post to the attention of the moderators more quickly. It doesn't see much use on these friendly and well modded forums =)

Billy Tallant
12-06-2008, 5:06 AM
I'm just starting out turning pens. Didn't want to invest a lot to start. I bought everything that I thought I would need to get started. Adjustable mandrel, few blanks, few slimline pen kits, glue, & HUT polish to get me started. I bought my sandpaper at Woodcraft. I noticed that Rockler has it on sale for $14.99 this week. As some of the gentlemen on the forum mentioned to me, it will become addicting... Since original purchase, I have placed one online order for more pen kits/supplies. Just went to Rockler yesterday & bought more things than I needed. Have fun, it's a blast...:)

Allen Neighbors
12-06-2008, 3:52 PM
FWIW: Ruth also sells some wonderful, oversized coffee mugs with her logo, on one side, and "it's a wood thing" on the other. Not a partner. Just love the mugs. :D