PDA

View Full Version : Hard maple burl NE bowl with character

Jeff Nicol
12-04-2008, 9:22 PM
Well here is a wild bowl that I turned from a small tree burl. I get these a lot on our hunting property and they come in lots of sizes and shapes. I think a limb dies and bugs or something get in the knot and the tree grows these burls. I left it thick and when I got inside the center of the tree was mostly rotten so I left it the way it was. All mother natures beauty uncovered. There is a picture of what they look like before I start.

Thanks for checking it out.

Jeff

Curt Fuller
12-04-2008, 9:28 PM
That's a pretty one.

Jim Kountz
12-04-2008, 9:38 PM
Wow I bet that was nerve racking! What aq fantastic job there! Id be afraid the whole thing would come flying off at me.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Real nice looking bowl Jeff! Great job on keeping all the bark! Also like how you added just a touch of curl on the inside for effect!

Jeff Nicol
12-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks All,

I really like to turn the pieces oof wood that hold some mystery! I have a bunch of them like I said. I had turned one other into a vase with all the voids and bark, it looked great. I sold it on e-bay earlier this year. I have some more projects that are almost done. So more to show soon!

Thanks again!
Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Great looking bowl Jeff. Keeping the bark and the inside effect looks good.

TYLER WOOD
12-05-2008, 1:04 PM
Man I really like that!!!!!

George Guadiane
12-05-2008, 3:37 PM
I LOVE this, it looks so undoable! I'm not sure I would have the nads to put that on a lathe.
GREAT job.

Pete Jordan
12-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Excellent job!

I have some wood like that and now I have an idea what to do with it.

Thanks!

Ron Lynch
12-06-2008, 5:17 PM
So, I'm guessing you didn't use the vacuum chuck to hold it while you finished the foot.

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2008, 10:45 PM
I used a vac chuck I made for flat or mostly flat pieces that has a small ridge around the edge. I covered it with some silicone rubber sheet so it works great to hold odd things against the tail stock and still has some grip but does not hurt the finish. I turned it down to a small nib and then sanded off to finish.

Thanks for looking!

Jeff