PDA

View Full Version : Wood Moisture - Where to Store Wood

Lyndon Graham
12-04-2008, 7:07 PM
I live in the Pacific Northwest (rains a lot). My shop is in my barn and has no heat or humidity control. It is not an open barn but rather dry. Nevertheless, humidity inside is the same as outside.

I buy my hardwoods from a place called crosscuts where the wood is stored inside the store in HVAC controlled environment.

When I bring home a peice of wood and it is being stored, should I store it in the HVAC controlled house or is the barn OK as long as I give it a few weeks to stabalize in the barn?

My concern for asking this question is, if I make a particular peice (say a dovetail) and comeback a week later, will the dimensions change due to moisture absorption?

Eddie Darby
12-04-2008, 9:01 PM
The real problem is where is the finished piece going to be used, and what is that environment like.

The movement from the wood dealer to the barn, is addressed during the dimensioning of your wood at the early stages of your work.

If you go with the finished work, from your humid barn to a dry indoor setting, the wood will move.

If the finished piece is going to be used outdoors, then you will have next to no movement, since it has acclimatized in the barn.

Frank Drew
12-05-2008, 1:11 AM
The real problem is where is the finished piece going to be used, and what is that environment like.

If you go with the finished work, from your humid barn to a dry indoor setting, the wood will move.

If the finished piece is going to be used outdoors, then you will have next to no movement, since it has acclimatized in the barn.

Exactly so.