PDA

View Full Version : Great woodworking show

Ray Schafer
12-04-2008, 6:25 PM
I want to make sure that you all (or y'all -- for those in the south) know about this show: The American Woodshop on PBS.

I have been watching this show -- Scott Phillips is the host. I find the show to be really great, because he explains what he is doing as he does it. I really learn a lot from each show.

I watched one on the Mission Bookcase and wanted the plan. After finding the website, I sent a note asking about a plan, and he (Scott!) offered to get one to me. What a nice thing to do.

I hope that you will all watch it and that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ray

Lyndon Graham
12-04-2008, 6:47 PM
Is this the guy that does everything my hand?

Ray Schafer
12-04-2008, 6:51 PM
No. It is a general woodworking / furniture-building show. I know the one that you mean, but can't remember the name.

Ray Schafer
12-04-2008, 6:56 PM
The Woodwrights Shop was the one with only hand tools. I haven't seen that in a long time.

"Jacob Robinson"
12-04-2008, 7:02 PM
Scott lives about 30 minutes from me in Piqua, OH I believe, he makes reguarr appearances at our local Woodcraft Store

Ray Schafer
12-05-2008, 9:53 AM
I have exchanged a couple of notes with him. I really am looking forward to his other shows. I think that I have seen two so far -- the one on the Mission Bookcase, and I can't remember the other. He seems like a great guy ... and very knowledgable.

Dewey Torres
12-05-2008, 10:18 AM
No. It is a general woodworking / furniture-building show. I know the one that you mean, but can't remember the name.

Roy Underhill, Woodwrights

Jason White
12-07-2008, 4:20 PM
That show has been on for about 15 years.

You can watch reruns here...

www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

I want to make sure that you all (or y'all -- for those in the south) know about this show: The American Woodshop on PBS.

I have been watching this show -- Scott Phillips is the host. I find the show to be really great, because he explains what he is doing as he does it. I really learn a lot from each show.

I watched one on the Mission Bookcase and wanted the plan. After finding the website, I sent a note asking about a plan, and he (Scott!) offered to get one to me. What a nice thing to do.

I hope that you will all watch it and that you enjoy it as much as I do!

Ray

Ray Schafer
01-12-2009, 10:44 PM
I hope that you guys have seen the latest episode -- it is the drop-down coomputer desk. Scott used a big slab of bubinga. The desk looks really great.

Dave Lehnert
01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Scott lives about 30 minutes from me in Piqua, OH I believe, he makes reguarr appearances at our local Woodcraft Store
I have been told you can see his shop from I-75 where the show is filmed but not sure exactly where it is.
Scott use to work for Shopsmith. If you have any old Shopsmith catalogs around he is in them.

Larry Browning
01-13-2009, 7:20 AM
I googled "the american woodshop" and found this website (http://www.wbgu.org/americanwoodshop/Episodes/season15/index.html). Apparently you can watch every episode that has already been aired. COOL!

Denny Rice
01-19-2009, 3:20 AM
Ray,

I agree. My local PBS station stated carrying the show on a weekly basis last summer. I found it on accident, he seems to be a very good and very talented woodworker. I like it because he seems to use more "real wood" than furniture grade plywood when constructing even large furniture projects. I hope my local PBS keeps it on the air for many years to come.

Rick Moyer
01-19-2009, 7:39 AM
This is not meant to be a dis on Scott, I'm sure he's a great guy, but everytime I watch that show I feel like I'm watching Mr. Rogers. Anybody else feel this way?