PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpening

Ed Sallee
12-04-2008, 3:53 PM
OK, I have four Forrest WWII's. Two of the regular grind and two of the #1 flat bottom grind.... 40 teeth, all 4 of them. They all have 1/8" kerf.

One set is ready for the sharpening service..... (Regular grind & flat bottom grind). My question is, will sending them in for a sharpening mess with the 1/8" kerf?

Julian Wong
12-04-2008, 5:32 PM
No the main cutters are the outermost ends of the carbide tips, not the sides. But depending on how blunt it is, the sides may have to be sharpened too. But it won't affect the cut by much. Thousandsth of an inch maybe?

Ed Sallee
12-04-2008, 6:09 PM
Thanks.... I needed to get that settled in my brain before I send 'em off....

Tom Walz
12-08-2008, 11:48 AM
There are several ways to sharpen a saw blade. If you need them to be identical tell the sharpener.

Depending on how dull they are a couple thousandths to 0.005" a side is a a pretty good estimate.

John Thompson
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't use the Forrest Blades Ed, as most of mine are Amana.. CMT and Freud but... I have them sharpened local often. I have never noticed any variation on the width. I would call the service you are going to use and ask the question as not all sharpeners use the same technique as mentioned.

Sarge..