PDA

View Full Version : "Firewood" table

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 2:30 PM
I saw some dudes splitting walnut limbs for firewood this spring off a storm damaged tree, some of them looked pretty cool. I said I had alot better firewood at the house (ash/oak/hedge...) that was sawmill waste and would be easier to process. Why not trade ? They brought in a load of limbs and took away my scrap.

So here is a coffee table (for myself) I just finished this morning from some of it. I apologize for the grainy pictures, I am having camera troubles.I jointed a live edge book match for the top, made a simple but somewhat interesting base and there you have it. I am liking using walnut sapwood in my projects more and more each time I do it. It took some digging to find just the right piece I wanted for the shelf/stretcher.

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 3:51 PM
Daren, that's really nice work. You got some nice sparkle in that walnut too. Bravo!

Todd Crawford
12-04-2008, 4:10 PM
Fine piece of furniture you've made there. Congratulations on a great job. You made a good trade!

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2008, 4:25 PM
Daren - that's quite the showpiece! Beautiful wood and finish! I like how you placed the sapwood on all the outer edges - really frames the table! Very nice work! Thanks for posting!

Danny Thompson
12-04-2008, 5:11 PM
Nice work. Should you be worried that the wood hasn't been dried? or has it?

Dewey Torres
12-04-2008, 5:46 PM
Nice table. The Dutchman repairs are a very classy touch!

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 5:49 PM
Nice work. Should you be worried that the wood hasn't been dried? or has it?

I have my own kiln...it's dry ;)

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 5:55 PM
Nice table. The Dutchman repairs are a very classy touch!

Here is another piece from the same storm blowdown. I got several nice crotches from that tree. I had started this table top awhile back and set it aside.I got in the mood to work on it more this afternoon...as you can see I am found of dutchmen myself :).

This particular slice had a hollow spot where there was an over grown dead branch. I filled the hole with epoxy and a sliced walnut shell (looks like a skull don't it :eek:)

Barry Bruner
12-04-2008, 6:13 PM
Great looking table and I agree with the dutchmen looking great. BARRY BRUNER

mike holden
12-04-2008, 6:21 PM
Daren,
Great Trade!
That wood is gorgeous, and the table you put under is nice too. (grin)
Well done.
Mike

John Thompson
12-04-2008, 6:43 PM
Great looking table.. design and execution, Darren. I was wondering if you made provisions for expansion and contraction on the lower shelf?

Sarge..

Daren K Nelson
12-05-2008, 7:28 AM
. I was wondering if you made provisions for expansion and contraction on the lower shelf?

No, not really. It is only 9" wide. It is just 1/2 lapped into the legs. The wood was kiln dried and acclimated to my house (where it will stay). Frankly being walnut I just don't see the probability of detrimental movement in this design. If anything I would expect cup since it is what we call a "jacket board" at a sawmill, an outer board from the log that has a mix of heart and sapwood. (that board was actually in my reject pile because of the sapwood :( I like to build things from my "scrap") They are less stable than a solid heartwood board from say the middle of the log or 1/4 sawn. Having said that it did dry without any cup, so I expect it to stay flat.

Don Bullock
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Daren, that's a beautiful table. I really like the inclusion of the sapwood and natural edge. As Jim said, "You got some nice sparkle in that walnut too." What dod you use for finish?

John Thompson
12-05-2008, 11:30 AM
No, not really. It is only 9" wide. It is just 1/2 lapped into the legs. The wood was kiln dried and acclimated to my house (where it will stay). Frankly being walnut I just don't see the probability of detrimental movement in this design. If anything I would expect cup since it is what we call a "jacket board" at a sawmill, an outer board from the log that has a mix of heart and sapwood. (that board was actually in my reject pile because of the sapwood :( I like to build things from my "scrap") They are less stable than a solid heartwood board from say the middle of the log or 1/4 sawn. Having said that it did dry without any cup, so I expect it to stay flat.

I tend to agree actually about not having a problem as I have done similar over the years as I love to utilize scrap pieces that some wouldn't consider. Several things you mentioned lead to that conclussion. The board was dried properly before being used.. then brought inside to acclimate to where it would end up. And the fact it was flat and stable before you used the flat-sawn would lead me to believe from what I have seen that it will most likely stay that way.

As you say... cup would be the most likely culprit but.... if it was flat during the long dry period and acclimation... I would expect it to stay that way as that is just my experience over the years. Walnut won't expand that much along with many other hard-woods I believe.

Even though it is most definitely fact wood will expand and contract... I sometimes think the tendency to over-think just how much and try to make provisions might alter a design radically from what you originally visioned. And the fact that if by chance I was wrong.. I can build another piece simply enough and that is especially true with scrap. :)

Again... the piece looks great just as you visioned it and will stay that way in the future.

Regards...

Sarge..

Glenn Lewis
12-15-2008, 8:53 AM
beautiful. what is the finish? i like the sapwood elements, but always find it takes on a yellowish tint when i try to include it. yours looks nice and white...

Daren K Nelson
12-15-2008, 9:00 AM
beautiful. what is the finish? i like the sapwood elements, but always find it takes on a yellowish tint when i try to include it. yours looks nice and white...

Just poly. My sapwood is so white because I mill the logs, when possible, the day the tree comes down or very shortly thereafter. Soon after milling they go right in the d/h kiln. I do expect them to darken some with age though, but still look cool.

Mark Valsi
12-15-2008, 7:15 PM
extremely well done !

and the wood is fantastic !!

John Keeton
12-15-2008, 7:33 PM
Daren, that is art!! Neat website as well.