PDA

View Full Version : Delta Disk/Belt Sander

Charles Blackmon
12-04-2008, 1:32 PM
Anyone have an idea where I might obtain a dust collection attachment for the disk part of a Delta 31-730. Just acquired the machine and this is a definate must have. Should the part not be available how about a plan or idea for home fabrication. Thanks.

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 4:17 PM
Welcome to SMC, Charles.

The disk sander is a challenge for the DC port for almost all of these machines for some reason. I couldn't obtain one for the non-Delta machine I have and should I ever decide to actually use the disk, will have to fabricate something. It's a strange oval type port and will be fun to deal with. For the record, I've never seen one made by anyone, commercially or otherwise. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Bruce Page
12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Welcome to SMC, Charles.

The disk sander is a challenge for the DC port for almost all of these machines for some reason. I couldn't obtain one for the non-Delta machine I have and should I ever decide to actually use the disk, will have to fabricate something. It's a strange oval type port and will be fun to deal with. For the record, I've never seen one made by anyone, commercially or otherwise. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Jim, I managed to find one 4½ years ago when I refurbished my Delta combo. I looked for my receipt on it but couldn’t find it. I did find what might be a part number for it in my notes: #50-140 “Adapter for Vacuum Cleaner”
As I told Charles by PM, it was very difficult to find 4½ years ago, maybe impossible today.

Lonnie Stephens
02-05-2012, 4:10 PM
I recently purchased a used 31-735 sanding center head. I used this site to order parts and was able to get eveything I needed. http://servicenet.deltamachinery.com/ You also might look another/later versions of this machine. They have parts diagrams that may help. I suspect some of the later parts may be interchangable/adaptable. Good luck!

Chris Rosenberger
02-05-2012, 9:03 PM
I do not know if you have the same stand as me. This is how I did mine about 20 years ago. I made a small box out of plywood. I attached a piece of 3/4" plywood to the bottom of the disk sander casting. I cut a hole in the plywood to match the hole in the casting. The piece of plywood is a spacer that extends the dust port to below the cabinet top. I then made a box that would fit between the plywood spacer & the angle iron & between the cabinet side & the belt. The ends & sides of the box are 3/4 plywood. The top & bottom are 1/4" plywood. I cut holes for the intake & the 3" pipe. I used silicone caulk to seal the box to the spacer block & seal the 3" pipe. The box is held in place by 2 screws running from the outside of the cabinet into the wood box.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DSCF1846.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/chrisrosenb/DSCF1850.jpg

Lonnie Stephens
02-05-2012, 9:44 PM
Chris, I bot the sander head from a local classified. Had to fabricate base and purchase motor. Rather than try to duplicate dust collection system that was contained in the factory base unit, I used the dust port from a 31-300. It bolted up instead of the plate on the base. It's on the end of the line on my dust collection system but evacuates the dust quite well. :)