PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas

Todd Crawford
12-04-2008, 1:11 PM
I've got some boards, well, calling them boards is un understatement, that are about 14" square and about 8.5' long. They seem to be some sort of "pine" but they were part of the container that a turbine was shipped in from France. So, I'm not 100% sure what kind of wood it is. I have 10 of these. I am currently putting together a plan for my new workshop. Actually I am well on the way as I have combined my new shop with a boat shed. My shop portion will be 10' wide x 28' long with 10' ceilings. If I have these boards sawn, what would be the thinnest you would go to use them as paneling on the inside. I would like to have enough to do the entire walls and ceiling. I think if I cut them 1/2" thick I will have more than enough unless I missed something in my calculations or (and this is the part that I am unsure about) I lose more than a minimal amount to the sawing process. Or, are these boards too good to cut?

John Bailey
12-04-2008, 1:22 PM
14" square and 8.5' long and you're going to cut them up for wall boards. Sounds like heresy for someone who's building a boat shop. I'd keep them Todd, and figure out a use for them boatbuilding. I definitely think they're worth more to use for boatbuilding than to put on a wall.

Of course, I could be convinced to take them off your hands!!:);)

John

Todd Crawford
12-04-2008, 1:29 PM
Guess I wasn't clear, I am not building a boat shop, what I have built is a shed that is 20' x 28'. I have my slab poured on an area that is half of this, or 10' x 28' which will be closed in for my woodworking shop. The other half of the shed is the home for my 20' Center Console. So it's just a boat SHED / workshop sharing a common roof.

Marcus Ward
12-04-2008, 5:55 PM
It'd make a heck of a workbench top!!!! I'm droolin over here.

Bill White
12-04-2008, 6:00 PM
Those aren't "boards". Them be TIMBERRRRRRS.
Bill

Chris Padilla
12-04-2008, 6:15 PM
What are the dimensions that make up the 14 square inches? 4" x 4" is 16 square inches for example but I wouldn't call that a timber unless I'm missing something....

Also: WHERE ARE THE PICS????!!!!!

:D

Rick Moyer
12-04-2008, 6:27 PM
The OP said boat "shed" and also said 14" square, not 14 square inches.

John Bailey
12-04-2008, 8:52 PM
The OP said boat "shed" and also said 14" square, not 14 square inches.

I may have misunderstood, I took 14" square to be 14x14 - 206 sq. in. Still, a lot of good wood.

John

Russ Sears
12-04-2008, 9:23 PM
There's a lot of fir in Europe. Maybe that's what it is.