PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Schools...

Michael Schumacher
12-04-2008, 12:57 PM
After thinking about where I want to go career wise and how much I enjoy doing woodworking, I'm thinking it would be nice to attend a woodworking school. I'm wondering what is out there that is around the Omaha, NE area? I'm sure there isn't much here, but maybe something at the community college, but how good that would be would be a flip of the coin. I've seen several "schools" or classes online and in magazines, but the price and location makes it nearly impossible to attend.

Any ideas?

Michael

Tony Bilello
12-04-2008, 5:28 PM
While you might not learn exactly what you want to learn about woodworking, you will learn what works and what dont work in the way of techniques. Cabinet making and furniture making while similar are not quite the same but you will be cutting, joining and gluing solid woods, veneers, plywoods and laminates.
You will learn enough about cabinet making that you can easily transition to furniture making.
If I had a choice of hiring a man with 1 year of cabinet making experience or a man with 20 years of home woodworking experience I would hire the cabinet making man for custom furniture building.
Besides, in a cabinet shop you will be the one getting paid rather than the one paying.