PDA

View Full Version : My Turtle Project

Frank Corker
12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I thought I'd post these pics of the box I have made for our friend who we are meeting in Barbados (on Sunday whooohhoooooo!!!)

Feel free to criticise if you wish, I'm not listening anyway!

The wood is the aromatic Thuya. The inlay is shell (duh) laminate. 9 photos in total. The first photo you will see I engraved with a piece of extruded acrylic over the top. To make sure it's exactly in the right place.

Frank Corker
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
This is the last of the 9 photos just need to buff the sucker up now!

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh, thank goodness it's a box. I was expecting to see a live turtle with a face engraved on his back!:eek:

Beautiful work, Frank.

Frank Corker
12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I tried that but it kept wriggling off the engraving table.

Margaret Turco
12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
That's beautiful Frank....lucky friend indeed! The top really looks 3 dimensional.

John Noell
12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Beautiful! If that shell laminate lasers like real turtle shell, I bet it smelled like burnt hair!

Deane Shepard
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Frank - That is really nice work. Were you able to get that depth of engraving with one pass or did it take multiple passes? What kind of settings did you use to get that depth?

Deane

Scott Challoner
12-04-2008, 1:22 PM
Very nice. Maybe I'll dig up that peice of shell laminate I've been too afraid to use and give it a go.

Frank Corker
12-04-2008, 1:28 PM
I engraved at 45 speed 100 power and it took two passes to get the depth. I also waited a long time before I decided to use the shell laminate (didn't smell too bad though) cutting the laminate I cut fast at low power, with three passes - this was to avoid any damage.

Doug Griffith
12-04-2008, 1:35 PM
That's awesome Frank. beautiful wood as well.

Cheers,
Doug

Michael Doyle
12-04-2008, 1:38 PM
Very Nice Frank! Thuya is such a good looking wood isn't it? The shell was a great idea.

Steve Clarkson
12-04-2008, 1:40 PM
Frank, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't post the cdr file......I think I'm ready for a project like this.......

(in case you didn't understand my accent.....that was a joke)

Jack Harper
12-04-2008, 3:27 PM
Frank - Nice job. However, about this vacation, I have looked through my piles of paper on my desk, twice, and I cannot find your vacation approval form signed and in triplicate. Did anyone else approve Frank's vacation? What happens if someone needs a graphic of a sumo wrestler in a pink dress while pitching Jenny Craig?

Jackie McGowan
12-04-2008, 3:37 PM
Wow that is really awesome! Thanks

David H. Mitchell
12-04-2008, 4:12 PM
Looks great, Frank. Enjoy your trip

Dave Mitchell

Belinda Barfield
12-04-2008, 4:20 PM
Frank - Nice job. However, about this vacation, I have looked through my piles of paper on my desk, twice, and I cannot find your vacation approval form signed and in triplicate. Did anyone else approve Frank's vacation? What happens if someone needs a graphic of a sumo wrestler in a pink dress while pitching Jenny Craig?

Beautiful work Frank! Impressive as always. I'm with Jack on this one though. One of us might very well get a large contract from Jenny Craig and need that graphic! ;):D

Scott Challoner
12-04-2008, 4:52 PM
Yes. By all means, enjoy your trip. It was 4.5 F (-15C) when I woke up this morning. Barbados sounds nice.

Dee Gallo
12-04-2008, 5:50 PM
Absolutely up to Frank Standard once again! Not only beautifully designed but expertly executed - go ahead, you deserve a vacation.

Enjoy your self, but come back to the Creek soon -

cheers, dee

Brian Robison
12-04-2008, 5:54 PM
Feel free to criticise if you wish, I'm not listening anyway!

THAT'S NOT A TURTLE! It's a tortoise.

Scott Perry
12-04-2008, 6:17 PM
Nice job Frank, I would go on and on but your not listening...:D

Brian Robison
12-04-2008, 6:41 PM
Visions of the clip art ferries no doubt.

Dave Johnson29
12-04-2008, 7:21 PM
Yeah, it's OK, but I have seen better stuff.

Just kidding Frank, that is an amazing piece of work. Skills and artistic talent like this and you wasted 30 years of your life as Plod?? Dear me.

I bet you are having more fun now and probably making more money too.

Bill Cunningham
12-04-2008, 9:22 PM
Take lots of pictures on your vacation Frank... I've never seen a Englishman with a Tan before!!:D

Lee DeRaud
12-04-2008, 9:27 PM
I tried that but it kept wriggling off the engraving table.What, they don't sell duct tape in the UK?!? :p

Very nice work!:cool:

Sandra Force
12-05-2008, 1:46 PM
Different and beautifully done as always. I love your work.

Frank Corker
12-05-2008, 5:21 PM
Thanks very much. I did this one today for another couple that we are meeting when we get over there. This one is also Thuya wood. I had to keep it simple this time because it's only about 3" across the flats on this one.

Scott Erwin
12-07-2008, 8:27 PM
Frank,
Nice to see what the request for the turtle ended up looking like. It is nice to see a project go from a request for a graphic to a final product and with someone as skilled as you are, there was no doubt it was going to be awsome.

As far as Frank's vacation, I thought Joe had the request on his desk waiting for a vote of approval from the masses, and to give plenty of time to tell everyone not to look at or get jobs that required any graphics you didnt already have....

Have a safe trip Frank. -- We will all be waiting for the pictures and help when you come back..no pressure though...