PDA

View Full Version : Cutting small logs for turning

Johnm Chase
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I recently purchased a lathe for the family to turn small objects pens pepper mills etc... I have been looking at wood with renewed interest and a few weeks ago someone donated several branches from an Oak and Elm to our efforts. some is pretty dry, with that in mind since I am used to pre-cut lumber I was wondering what would be the best way to cut down the limbs some are 4 to 6 inches thick. I have a 14 inch band saw and a 10 inch compound miter saw and a table saw. this may sound like a silly question but when I did try to cut a small limb the miter saw spun it up and back like it was on bearings and the bandsaw had a similar reaction, Whats the best way to approach the saw and hold the wood, I could use a chain saw but I think others use power saws on limbs.

Thanks

John

Frank Drew
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
John,

For starters, coating the ends of the logs with a green wood sealer (or wax or paint, in a pinch) will lessen the amount of splitting and checking, as will cutting the pieces down the middle, through the pith, as soon as possible. If the checking has already started, try cutting the ends until you get to unchecked wood, then seal.

For pieces as small and irregular as limb offcuts, I'd definitely go with the bandsaw; freehand cutting will work if you go slowly and carefully, and keep your hands away from the blade. Cutting anything irregular on any version of a circular saw can be extremely dangerous, and those pieces might be too small to rip cut safely with a chain saw.

Paul Atkins
12-04-2008, 12:57 PM
What I do sometimes to prevent the roller of death is to use my electric hand plane to get a flat side and even a 90 degree corner. I also have a 'v' sliding table for the band saw that I can actually clamp the log to.

Rod Sheridan
12-04-2008, 1:23 PM
Hi John, it is extremely dangerous to try and cut round objects on the bandsaw, it's something to stop doing.

Cutting green wood to length can be done with a chainsaw, however for small stuff like you have a 36" bowsaw will cut through green branches in the 4" to 6" range faster than you can imagine.

After you have them cut to suitable length, split them in half with an axe, or make sled for your bandsaw and split them in half.

As mentioned by others, paint the ends with log sealer immediately to prevent checking.

regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 4:09 PM
Rod is absolutely correct. One should never cross cut round objects on a bandsaw if they are not fastened securely to some kind of jig to keep them from spinning. Your hands are not enough and it's a good way to in the least damage your saw and at the worst lose some fingers or your hand. Use a chain saw or reciprocating saw with the log on a buck or otherwise properly supported to cross cut them. You can then break them down using the same tools or the band saw...with the flat part of the cross cut on the table or a piece of wood to keep it off the ground if a chainsaw or reciprocating saw is involved. Safety first.

Brian Brown
12-04-2008, 7:10 PM
Definitely never cut round things free hand with band saw, table saw or Compound miter saw. Very dangerous, to you and the saw. Sometime in the last 9 months, Wood magazine had an article on doing exactly what you want to do, complete with plans for the sleds.

Jim Kountz
12-04-2008, 7:43 PM
A well made V-cradle is a good way to go if you still want to use the chop saw or bandsaw. Make sure this is some way to keep the piece from revolving even though its held in a cradle. An end cap on the cradle with a screw or dowel works good.

Bernie Weishapl
12-04-2008, 8:07 PM
I agree with Jim. A good v-cradle is what I use to cut round objects on my bandsaw. It is the only way I would cut a round object on a bandsaw.

Bill Bolen
12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
After one log grabbeb and broke the blade but not me , I counted myself as very lucky and have never free handed again. When I need to square up or cut off a log section I use a home made sliding table on the bandsaw. Just like the big ones you see in use on table saws. I made a high back fence that I run two or more screws tharough and into the log. A hardwood runner fits the saws miter slot. No rotation and square edges with no danger...Bill..