PDA

View Full Version : Curly Cherry Tin Cabinet Finished W/Pics (long)

Jason Tuinstra
06-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Between the funeral of my grandfather this week and many weddings the last number of weekends, life at church has been quite busy. Next week I'll be in Calgary all week so I thought I’d better post the finished pics of the cabinet while I have a chance.

The cabinet is 99.9% done. I have to make the shelves yet and change out the steel screws in the hinges for their brass ones. But here are several pictures to show you what it looks like finished, almost anyway.

The finish is a few coats of BLO, followed by 7 hours of fun in the sun. After that, I applied a home brew of high gloss poly, BLO, and mineral spirits. It's put on and let to sit for ten minutes or so and then whipped off with a clean rag. I really like the look of the finish. Just the right amount of sheen for this one. I'll add some wax later to give it a bit more protection. Also, I should note that I sanded all the external surfaces, except for the back, up to 600 grit.

I used leather bumpers for the doors that a local tack shop generously gave me for free. They were a bit too thick to put on the cabinet, so I recessed them in the doors.

The knobs in most of the pics are temps that I had laying around. Sat. I got my custom crafted knobs from Jim Becker. (You're great Jim, thanks a ton! They work perfectly!!!) I ended up using external spinners for this project. I decided that any other method would weaken the joint too much so I went with this option. The spinner works perfectly! The two dowels you see act as stops for the spinners.

I tried my best to match up the wood. If you look at the two doors, you can see that the top rail of the bottom door and the bottom rail of the top door are cut from the same piece with grain matching. I tried this with the stiles as well, but I didn't have enough good wood left to use the same piece for both doors so just “imagine” the grain matching up perfectly. I did manage to cut the molding from one piece for continuous grain. Also, the side molding is held on with sliding walnut dovetails.

The hinges are the extruded "precision" brass hinges from Horton Brasses.

I think that should be about it. I'll try to answer whatever questions you have, but I've gone on ad nosium already.

Thanks for viewing.

Jason Tuinstra
06-08-2004, 10:10 PM
P.S. Thanks everyone for all the major help on this one. You guys have been great!!!

Tyler Howell
06-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Most Excellent indeed!;)

Tony Falotico
06-08-2004, 10:28 PM
Nice work Jason, Excellent attention to detail!

Todd Burch
06-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Jason, I may have said it before, but I'm going to say it again. You do FANTASTIC work! Hey, if you ever leave the ministry (Heaven forbid - literally!), and wanna move to Texas, I have a bench waiting for you!!

I've been studying my Shaker books. One characteristic of the Shaker pieces was how they pinned their mortise & tenon joints on door frames. The finer furniture pieces would get two pins each, and the utility grade pieces would only get one. So, you forgot one at each joint!

I use the exact same hinges from Horton Brasses. However, I have them chemically treat mine to make them black. They are GREAT hinges.

I like how you tenoned your panels to be flush on both sides of the door, and how you left just enough of a reveal to separate them from the frames. I also like the unembellished base - no feet, no plinth - it just kind of ends at the floor.

What did you do to keep the panels lighter that the rest of the case? Did you use "sunblock" on the panels?!

Thanks for posting! Todd

Steve King
06-08-2004, 10:39 PM
All I can say, well what can I say,
Fantastic work
Steve

Bob Marino
06-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Jason,

Very nice all around. Gorgeous wood and finish.

Bob

Jason Tuinstra
06-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Todd, thanks for exceedingly kind comments. As much as I love woodworking, nothing is more satisfying than the ministry - just as you suspected. Today I preached at my grandfather's funeral, what else can I say? I wouldn't trade that moment for a hundred Tall Cabinets. So the bench, no thank you. But how 'bout a seat at the picnic table? Pastor's love inviting themselves over for ham buns and potato salad :D

Now, as for the SPF 12, I planed the panels last, so I think the wood isn't as dark yet. I don't know if it matters, but all the rest of the cherry is from right here in Indiana at a local mill. The panels are from a board out of PA. I don't know if that matters or not.

My single peg is more of a Becksvoort thing than anything else. I suppose I could make something up about the characteristics of wood movement, but I don't know that to be the case. But I really like the way that sounds...

Thanks again.

Lars Thomas
06-08-2004, 11:58 PM
Jason, outstanding work. Looks heavenly. Lars

Martin Shupe
06-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Jason,

Just beautiful!!!

I have been waiting to see these pics, and they were worth the wait.

If you weren't already a minister, I should think CHB would be looking over his shoulder, as you are gaining on him very, very quickly.

Outstanding, simply beautiful and exemplary work!!

I don't like ham, but you are welcome at my house for dinner whenever you are in town.

Any chance you could post another pic of the wall cupboard unit? Like maybe a straight on shot?

Also, I like the way the walnut looks...the matching knobs and pegs are a really nice detail.

Jim Guy
06-09-2004, 6:10 AM
IMHO when it comes to furniture nothing is more beautiful that a piece of Shaker that has been built correctly. You have without question built this correctly. Just like listening to Taylor on CD makes me want to pick up a guitar, these shots make me want to stay in the shop and keep trying.

Ken Salisbury
06-09-2004, 7:12 AM
ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ! ! ! !

Nathan Hoffman
06-09-2004, 7:34 AM
Exceptional! It is amazing to see how a fine craftsman can take what is essentially a very basic form, and with attention to detail can elevate the piece to a work of art. I love it!

As others have said, it gives me encouragement to keep trying.

Carl Eyman
06-09-2004, 8:09 AM
One more vote for super excellent

Gary Whitt
06-09-2004, 8:17 AM
Sweeeeeeeeet!!!
:D

Donnie Raines
06-09-2004, 8:17 AM
Most excellant!

Mark Singer
06-09-2004, 8:24 AM
Really great design and outstanding work! Very nicely detailed!
Masterful!!!!!

Mark Mazzo
06-09-2004, 8:49 AM
Jason,

Beautiful wood, super craftmanship and excellent photography. Seeing this, I think that a Shaker piece is next on my list!

-- Mark

Dave Brandt
06-09-2004, 8:54 AM
You call that a cabinet? Not me. I'd call that a masterpiece! That's one of the most beautiful pieces of furniture I've ever seen. Your selection of figured wood and finish is exquisite. I really want to touch it. I can only dream of being able to execute something as fine as that. Well done! dave

Mark Bachler
06-09-2004, 9:16 AM
Patience, a good eye, & talent is what separates a woodbutcher from the true craftsman. You my friend are an excellent craftsman. I have a feeling that you can preach one heck of a sermon also.

Sorry for the loss of your grandfather, God Bless.

Mark B.

Pete Lamberty
06-09-2004, 9:20 AM
Great work Jason. I also like the other Shaker pieces hanging next to the cabinet. Also very good photography. I can actually see the details of your work.

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-09-2004, 9:54 AM
Jason,
Exceptional outstandingly beautiful workmanship!
Daniel :)

Jason Tuinstra
06-09-2004, 9:55 AM
Any chance you could post another pic of the wall cupboard unit? Like maybe a straight on shot?

Martin, if you click <A HREF="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curc@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/7003&.dnm=7d52.jpg" TARGET="_blank">here</A></EM></font>, you can see a better shot. There are more pictures you can flip through at my <A HREF="http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curc@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/7003&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/curc@sbcglobal.net/my_photos" TARGET="_blank">photo site</A></EM></font>. Thanks for all your help. I look forward to seeing "your" version in the future.

Mike Scoggins
06-09-2004, 9:55 AM
Jason,

BEAUTIFUL work! I love your attention to detail. I've not always truly appreciated the Shaker style thinking that it looked too simple. But, when a piece is crafted as beautifully as yours, it has an elegance about it that is very pleasing to the eye. I love the Tall Cabinet. You should be proud of your work!

Glad to hear that your true fulfillment comes from your ministry (just as it should be). I'm sure you get some satisfaction from woodworking, but seeing the great work you do in light of your statement "...nothing is more satisfying than the ministry..." makes me want to hear one of your sermons! :)

Again, great job!

Mike

Alan Turner
06-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Very nice work indeed, and wonderful attention to detail.
I esp. like the use of the leather as door bumpers. I have used leather in that application also, and it gives a nice soft feel. I was wondering how you secured the panels int the frames, if at all. Space balls? A micro pin in the center, top and bottom, on the back?
Are the knobs ebony, or walnut?
Ddi you make your own dowels for the pins? Perhaps by use of a doweling plate?
You have much to be proud of with that addition to your home.
Alan

Chris Padilla
06-09-2004, 10:53 AM
Not sure what to add that hasn't already been said, Jason, except:

:mad: You shoulda used square knobs like Tyler 'n I told ya to!!!! :mad:

;) (seriously nice job...sure to be an heirloom for generations to come)

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-09-2004, 11:44 AM
I think every one of us would be proud to say we built something of that quality. A beautiful piece with wonderful details. You oughta send pics of this to FWW.

KC

Jason Tuinstra
06-09-2004, 11:49 AM
I was wondering how you secured the panels int the frames, if at all. Space balls? A micro pin in the center, top and bottom, on the back?
Are the knobs ebony, or walnut?
Did you make your own dowels for the pins? Perhaps by use of a doweling plate?

Alan, thanks for the kind words. The dowels are just 1/4 rods I got from Rockler. I've looked at the L.N. doweling plate, but I don't really know how it works. On top of this, most of the doweling I do only requires 1/4 which is pretty easy to get.

The knobs are walnut. And the panels are floating all on their lonesome.

Jason Tuinstra
06-09-2004, 12:04 PM
:mad: You shoulda used square knobs like Tyler 'n I told ya to!!!! :mad:

I know, I know... I feel like a heal. I ask for all that advice, you and Tyler are so kind to give me advice, and then what do I do with it? Nothing! :D

I tell you what, I'm going to give you 10 free passes to ignore whatever I say in the next year :p On top of this, I promise to always view you and Tyler as squares. :D

Thanks again for all your help.

Mark Valsi
06-09-2004, 12:34 PM
we get some really great stuff on this forum, but I'm really impressed by that shaker cabinet !

Just remember, your boss was a carpenter !!!! :)

Really nice stuff, Pastor !

Bruce Page
06-09-2004, 2:43 PM
Very........Very.........Nice!

Jason, that cherry will age beautifully, please post some new pictures in a year or two.

Brad Schmid
06-09-2004, 3:18 PM
Beautiful piece of work Jason!

I really like the job you did on the finish. It draws the eye directly to the quality craftsmanship and attention to detail within. I think The Creator of all things would be pleased to see what you've accomplished with this resource He has provided. Well done!

Thanks for sharing. Posts like yours inspire me!

Brad

Martin Shupe
06-09-2004, 7:41 PM
I think every one of us would be proud to say we built something of that quality. A beautiful piece with wonderful details. You oughta send pics of this to FWW.

KC

Kirk, you are 100% correct!

Jason, I don't blame you for not listening about the square knobs:D, but please listen to Kirk!

Please, please send your photos to FWW for them to publish in Current Work.

Your craftsmanship deserves more widespread viewing.

Jim Becker
06-09-2004, 9:47 PM
Jason, I third the motion for you to submit your photos to FWW on this and other projects of yours. Very inspiring. In fact, thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this one. I'm proud that a small piece of walnut harvested from our property was able to be used on such a wonderful piece of woodworking. Outstanding work!!! (Great photos, too)

'Safe travels to the land up north...I get to visit the other side of a very big pond in the same time period.

Jason Tuinstra
06-10-2004, 12:16 AM
Jason, I third the motion for you to submit your photos to FWW on this and other projects of yours. Very inspiring. In fact, thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this one. I'm proud that a small piece of walnut harvested from our property was able to be used on such a wonderful piece of woodworking. Outstanding work!!! (Great photos, too)

'Safe travels to the land up north...I get to visit the other side of a very big pond in the same time period.

Jim: Thanks again for all the help, and safe travels to you as well.

Everyone: You guys are the best. Thanks for all the kind words. I always liked picture books as a kid, and I guess that's why I like this site so much. :D At all different levels you guys show quality work all the time. I'm just glad that this piece was of some encouragment. You guys spurn me on all the time with your work. So three big cheers for SMC and for all you guys who make it what it is! Jason

Robert Goodwin
06-14-2004, 8:04 PM
That is just amazing. I'm speechless. Great work!!!!!

Terry Hatfield
06-14-2004, 8:42 PM
AWSOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and so does Cheryl!!!

Terry

Martin Shupe
07-04-2004, 3:21 AM
The recent Bessey bulk buy thread has gotten me thinking...

Jason,

How did you clamp up the top and bottom of your tin cupboard? Did you have some really, really long clamps?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Jason Tuinstra
07-04-2004, 9:02 AM

Jason,

How did you clamp up the top and bottom of your tin cupboard? Did you have some really, really long clamps?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Martin, I pounded down the top by hand and clamped it from the sides. The rest of the fixed shelves were dadoed into the sides so clamping the sides worked here as well. Nothing fancy. Sorry I can't help justify more clamps :p

Chris Padilla
07-05-2004, 1:45 AM

Well, don't just think about it, reach for the wallet, Martin!! :D You *need* some 82" or 98" Besseys, dontcha!? :eek: I'd love to see a pair that long! :D

Mathew Nedeljko
08-31-2004, 10:01 AM
Absolutely Fantastic Work! What an inspiration.

Definitely worthy of a submission to FWW! I love the curly wood, it's just begging to be touched.

Do you sign and date your pieces in some way? You never know where quality work like this will end up :)

Arnie Grammon
08-31-2004, 10:33 AM
Jason

Very nice.

As you, I consider my woodworking part of my act of worship. God created us in his image....and that urge to create is God-given. That being said, I wish I was "worshipping" at the same level as you:) .

Stay in your ministry. Continue to produce those wonderful pieces. You 'inspire' me more than you know!

Arnie

Dennis Peacock
08-31-2004, 10:50 AM
Very, Very nice work!!!!! Most Excellent.!!!!!

Herb Blair
08-31-2004, 7:27 PM
Awe Sum WORK!

Dave Avery
08-31-2004, 9:12 PM
Great stuff Jason, absolutely inspiring work. Dave.

Dominic Greco
09-01-2004, 7:32 AM
Jason,
Just wanted to tell you how blown away I was by this cabinet! The construction is just beautiful as well as the fine, no....excellant job you've done on the finish!

Like everyone has been saying, this should definately be featured in FWW's Gallery!

Kevin Swindle
09-01-2004, 8:29 AM
John you always do beautiful work and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing with us.

Peter Kuhlman
09-01-2004, 9:10 AM
Jason - this is most impressive!!!! As a lurker here, I read and view all the great projects and am always impressed but there is something special about this cabinet to me. I just love the wood selection and grain matching. The different appearance of the cherry in horizontal and vertical are wonderful. The attention to detail is obvious. I can only dream of achieving your level of craftsmanship. When I attempt to do detail items - drilling holes for pinning, router cut dovetails, etc - I always end up getting some blowout and ruining a piece. There are no visable flaws at all in your piece.The attention to detail even in the back shot showing the molding is truly impressive.
MOST EXCELLENT!!!!!

And Thank You SMC for collecting so many talented woodworkers who so willingly share their talents, ideas, pictures and help.
Pete

Jason Tuinstra
09-02-2004, 2:15 AM
Wow, like I said, here I sit in New Zealand after all the planning for this trip, I'm searching through the back logs, and trip on all these posts you guys recently made.

Major sorry for not responding!!!

Update: I sent in some photo's to FWW magazine to see if they would print it. Stay tuned...

Matthew, do a search under "brand" and you can see what I do to my pieces as of late regarding this issue.

Arnie, as for worship, couldn't agree more!

Peter, as for lack of mistakes, couldn't disagree more, but I'm not telling where to look :p

To everyone else, thanks again for all the comments! You guys are very generous, even over a post I made so long ago!

Jerry Olexa
09-02-2004, 1:37 PM
Jason getting in on this thread a little late but....your work is OUTSTANDING! Your attention to the detail shows!! I love your joint handling and the exposed
at the top. You should be proud!! As we are to have you on this forum. Jerry

Martin Lutz
09-02-2004, 4:49 PM
OK, so I keep coming back to the pics of your cabinet. I just had to log in and say --------- UNBELIEVABLE----------. nuff said.

Bruce Page
09-25-2004, 11:08 PM
A well deserved honor Jason! Looking at your cabinet again, I’m still in awe!

Jim Ketron
09-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Jason I don't know how I missed it when you first posted it but WOW thats some fine work!!
Jim

Christine Tiede
09-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Wow, Jason.... that cabinet is absolutely incredible!!! You are a mighty fine craftsman, indeed. I'm not sure if the 06-09-2004 date on the posts is correct, but if you are coming to Calgary this week, the weather is mighty nice these days....... as far as fall weather in Canada goes, anyways! What church you going to in Calgary? (I'm about 5h northeast of there)
christine

Wade Samuelson
09-26-2004, 4:46 PM
Nice work! With a little practice you'll be able to build mobile benches for miter saws!! :rolleyes: *Sigh* I have such a long way to go...

By the way, my wife loved it too--she wanted me to build her one!! I just laughed, but then quickly took it as an opportunity to suggest that I go out and buy $500 worth of clamps. Suddenly she didn't need one right away. Oh well.

Brett CoughlanAus
01-26-2007, 6:19 AM
Hi all,

At the risk of reviving an old post, I've gotta say that this cabinet is one of the finest examples of fine furniture that I've ever seen. So much so that I've gone out and sourced some American Cherry (quite expensive here!) with an idea to have a go at a shaker cabinet myself.

I've been interested in wood working only for the last few years and only built a few small pieces (hall table etc..) but this cabinet just blew me away. The proportions, attention to detail and grain is amazing. Even though there are many other 'showy' pieces this one stands out for all the right reasons - I guess that is the Shaker ideal and Jason, you've certainly got it right.

Thanks Jason for this fine piece and the inspiration - if my humble attempt at a shaker cabinet can get anywhere near this I'll be a very happy sawdust maker:)

Ron Brese
01-26-2007, 6:45 AM
The chimney cupboard is gorgeous. The fit on the doors is right on. There is nothing nicer that flush doors laying in a cupboard with nice margins. Isn't it amazing how such a simple piece can look so elegant when the casework is very precise and the finish is outstanding.

Ron

Hans Braul
01-26-2007, 6:57 AM
Jason, nothing new here that hasn't been said - I just want to add my compliments. I think your craftsmanship is fantastic, but as important is your eye for proportion and balance. Really a great piece. I noticed the lovely birdseye drawer in the night stand beside the bed. Is this a recent piece?

Regards
Hans

Keith Starosta
01-26-2007, 7:06 AM
I may be wrong, but I do believe that this piece actually made its way into the pages of Fine Woodworking. Guys....is that correct?

- Keith

Brett CoughlanAus
01-26-2007, 7:12 AM
Keith,
You're right - issue 182, the one with the pie safe on the cover. That's how someone like me in Australia got to see it.

Don Bullock
01-26-2007, 8:30 AM
Jason, that's simply beautiful!
The execution is exguisite and your craftsmanship is superb.
You are definately an inspiration in your woodwork and the ministry.

Larry Fox
01-26-2007, 9:32 AM
Jason - a most excellent piece - as usual. Fantastic in every regard.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-26-2007, 9:36 AM
Very nice work Jason...sorry to hear about your grandfather. I love the pinned tenons!

Karin Voorhis
01-26-2007, 10:16 AM
supper sweet, nice and very artistic.... Really love the overall look such smooth transition.

Bill Simmeth
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow Jason, that's almost as nice as the one you did three years ago! :D

Jason Tuinstra
01-26-2007, 2:16 PM
Brett and everyone else,

Thanks so much for the kind words. You guys are always very gracious, especially considering it's been awhile since I finished this one.

I ended up giving this to a friend of mine when I moved to California and have wanted to replace it since then. He gives me visitation rights but the cost of flying to Chicago prevents me from seeing it very much :D

Thanks again!

Jason

Jason Tuinstra
01-26-2007, 2:23 PM
I noticed the lovely birdseye drawer in the night stand beside the bed. Is this a recent piece?

Hans, the birdseye that you see is the panel in the hanging wall cupboard that I made quite some time ago. It's a smaller version of what the Shakers used to make.

John Nesmith
06-23-2011, 2:32 PM
I emailed Jason to ask some questions about this beautiful cupboard he posted years ago. He has not replied. It also appears he has not posted here in months. I hope he is doing OK.

Maybe someone else can help with my questions. I am interested in building some cabinet doors like he made for his cupboard. It appears to me the raised panel is beveled slightly. (Rather than simply 90 degrees) Can anyone guess what the bevel angle might be?

Also, what steps would you take and what power tools would you use to form the raised panel? I can see how it might be done with 2 cuts on the table saw, but I'm not sure if that is the best approach.

Thanks all.

Joe Leigh
06-23-2011, 4:16 PM
I think it's a simple beveled router bit, Available from Lee Valley I believe http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=45095&cat=1,46168,46178&ap=1....just click on his screen name and visit his website. The construction pics contain details about tools and technique.

John Nesmith
06-23-2011, 6:29 PM
Thanks Joe. That info has me on the right track now.

Prashun Patel
06-23-2011, 7:55 PM
Wow, Jason. Thanks for inspiring. Some day. Some day. So many subtle details; so tastefully done.

David Cramer
06-24-2011, 9:52 AM
I gotta say, I miss that guy. He was around here quite often and not only is he kind and giving, but he also does some amazing and inspiring work as Mr. Patel pointed out!! I thought he lived in California near Mr. Padilla but I might be confusing his location with someone esle. Come back Jason, please!!!!

David

Prashun Patel
06-24-2011, 10:07 AM
HA! This always happens to me. I did not realize this thread is 7 years old!!!!!

Jeff Monson
06-24-2011, 10:34 AM
HA! This always happens to me. I did not realize this thread is 7 years old!!!!!

Got me too! Beautiful work either way. I think Jason has a website, might be the easiest to contact him there. I'm sure he will still be stopping in here.

Jim Becker
06-24-2011, 9:56 PM
According to Jason's web site, he's now in Michigan...apparently moved from the left-coast to a new work assignment. I did send him a message on Facebook and let him know folks were asking about him.

Jason Tuinstra
06-25-2011, 8:05 AM
Hey everyone. Wow, thanks! I built this in 04! I'll have to tell the owner it's still garnering accolades at SMC.

Joe happened to email me right in the midst of a very busy week, so everything got pushed off. Sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a stir. Glad to see that the expert advice led him in the right direction, though I still owe Joe an email to answer the rest of the questions.

We've been in Michigan now since September of 09. Too long of a story, but my shop is out of commission right now. The first house we moved to here, was a bit small, so we moved into a large place a few months ago and I haven't had time to get the shop setup yet. As a pastor, I move around from time to time. Hence, all the moves since I became a member of SMC. I have to say, I'm tired of moving my Delta cabinet saw so we're hoping to stay for the next 10 years or so!