PDA

View Full Version : Gift ideas for a 12 yr old boy

Jim Kountz
12-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Ok so its coming up on that time of year again and I have no idea what to get my son this year for Christmas. The boy has playstations, Wii, a 4 wheeler, bikes and all the other usual things and Im left with no idea what to get him. Sadly he doesnt have an interest in the shop work at all. Understandable though, he had asthma as a small child and he hates the dust and the noise so I dont push it on him. He comes out in the shop every once in a while but its just "not his thing". Sooooooooo any ideas from you guys would be very helpful!!

Thanks!

Jim

Ed Jolin
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Jim -
I'm doing the same for some nephews. So far I've come up with -
outdoorsman/boyscout things - nice pocket knife, rope, book on knots, survival book, leather wallet, mess kit/camping items. I saw some things at duluthtrading.com (no affiliation; i just get their catalog and have gotten some good work clothes from there)

or indoor stuff, like a chemistry set or electronics set, which might require more adult supervision/help to get going, but I think a 12 yr old would be old enough to read directions and be successful.

or some more 'adult' type art/craft items if he's into quieter activities - canvas, paints, 'real' clay or sculpture items. There are some very cool things in the bigger arts/crafts stores, not just for girls.

Art Mulder
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I have an 11yr old myself, Jim (12 in March).

- He still is perfectly happy with Lego sets, and would love more
- Ditto for K'nex building sets
- Pokemon and/or Bakugon card sets would be welcome
- One option is a HeroScape game starter set - it is a sort of adventure/board game I read about. Part of the game is building the playing field. You can also buy expansion sets.
(that's the real racket in things like this and Pokemon cards, they're always trying to get you to buy MORE bits)
- There are lots of other good high quality board/strategy games on the market: Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride
- Sports equipment wears out, so a new soccer/basket-ball is an idea, or perhaps roller blades or a hockey stick or a new folding scooter. (ie: Razor)
- My children love to read, and a few books are always under the tree.
- So far we refuse to go down the video game route, so Wii, and Nintendo DS and all that are NOT on our list
- Is he at all interested in Train sets? From what I've heard that can be a real father-son project. (as long as Dad doesn't take over! :p) But it gets pricey VERY quickly.

Our kids grab the toy fliers/catalogs and initial the items they are interested in, which can be helpful.

Happy Season!

Mitchell Andrus
12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
How about something that he'll remember rather than own.

I got my son a first lesson in an airplane about 4 years ago at age 13. Now at 17 he's got his pilot's licence and is going to college next year for aviation management and helicopter flight training (like a double major). We've yet to see if he'll go ROTC/army for the chopper part....$$$$ - more costly than the business degree.

Prime him up with a few books and a cheap RC plane so he's up on some of the physics involved.

WV has some great private airports and views at 3,000 agl to match.

I got my wife horse riding lessons (why do we call it horseback? Isn't the 'back' part assumed?). She's now advanced to beginner 3 and is loving every minute of it.

The unseen bonus is... the money spent absolutely employs Americans.

agl - above ground level
asl - above sea level

http://www.sportys.com/
A great shop for aviation stuff. I'd recommend the DVD: "16 Right", a doc about the Van Nuys Airport - it'll make you want to take lessons yourself.

Dave Mura
12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
No kid can resist LEGOs

Nancy Laird
12-04-2008, 1:32 PM
I bought my son a microscope when he was 11, and he was fascinated with it.

Scott Coffelt
12-04-2008, 1:40 PM
Have you asked him what he wants? That usually works for my son. If he still doesn't know, then get him some gift certificates or cash. If he doesn't have anything he wants now, those will be good when he does.

Now my kid (9) loves legos, I could be all they have and he'd still want more.

Rod Sheridan
12-04-2008, 1:43 PM
Books, books and more books.

Nothing better than sitting inside during a snow storm, with a mug of cocoa and a good book.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Narozniak
12-04-2008, 2:55 PM
Hell, I still love Legos :) They are great.

While my son is much young he got me back into Model Rockets. They are fun to build (Actually Relaxing for me) and they are a blast to shoot off. I loved them as well as any model when I was that age.

jeremy levine
12-04-2008, 4:57 PM
Music. I did not see an mp3 player on the list. They are no longer very expensive and music really is a life long gift. You don't have to spend much Snadisk and others make some nice ones

Mitchell Andrus
12-04-2008, 5:04 PM
Yep... we have one too, but get a college-level tool. There are all kinds on ebay and there's likely someone in your area that restores them. That's where I got ours.

Jim Kountz
12-04-2008, 7:55 PM
Thanks for all the input guys and gals, you've given me some ideas now and at least a direction to go in. We actually started a model train layout a few years ago but we both kind of lost interest. Maybe I could casually bring it up and see what kind of response I get??

curtis rosche
12-04-2008, 8:11 PM
go ot the game store, and take a look at the controllers, they have one that is for the wii, that links 2 control peices together in a gun format for shooting games. you could also get him the latest cabelas hunting game

Dan Mages
12-04-2008, 10:20 PM
My wife and I give The Dangerous Book for Boys is our standard Bar Mitzvah gift. It is packed full of fun and educational information that you will enjoy as much as him. http://www.amazon.com/Dangerous-Book-Boys-Conn-Iggulden/dp/0061243582/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228447227&sr=8-1

Another option is Lego's Mindstorms robotics kit. This takes legos to the next level by allowing your son to make all sorts of robots and other computer controlled devices. I have seen high school science competitions where students have to build Mindstorms based robots to complete an obstical course.
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-4494799-Mindstorms-NXT/dp/B000E4FDAE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1228447006&sr=8-1

2 bits

Dan