PDA

View Full Version : Mini Deer Rev1

Tim Bateson
12-04-2008, 10:38 AM
It's about time I add to the collective here. This is my modified version of the mini deer 1/8. I've made a zillion for family and friends and this weekend I'm going to try them out at a craft show. FYI I don't know where the original design came from, but my version is posted here to do with as you please. Corel posted in version 10.

Gary and Jessica Houghton
12-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!
I have the plans from a woodworking mag. we bought forever ago. I scanned them in, but that's as far as I went. Thank you!!!!!!!
Jessica

Michael Kowalczyk
12-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Tim,
That wood looks a little familiar;). Glad to see you put it to use quickly building your herd of Deer.

Thank you for sharing and ...

Steven Smith
12-04-2008, 12:01 PM
It's about time I add to the collective here. This is my modified version of the mini deer 1/8. I've made a zillion for family and friends and this weekend I'm going to try them out at a craft show. FYI I don't know where the original design came from, but my version is posted here to do with as you please. Corel posted in version 10.
This year I made some as a special favor for a couple of my wife's friends. Instead of staining the wood, I etched the words to a Night Before Christmas on the wood prior to cutting. It took a long time but the jaw dropping looks were well worth it.

Steve Clarkson
12-04-2008, 1:26 PM
Outstanding!!! Thanks Tim! And great idea Steve!

Bill Cunningham
12-04-2008, 9:02 PM
Cut em out of Clear or smoked acrylic and they look pretty cool too.. I did a whole bunch of these last year
and heres the link from last year with a bunch of files..
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69320&highlight=Holiday+Reindeer
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=75787&d=1195924834

Dave Coble
12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
How cool are these!!!!

My wife is gonna just love me this year! She loves this kinda stuff...thank you!!!

:D

Marc Myer
12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
I did the clear plexi reindeer, scaled down, and made the Santa sleigh to comparable size, combining them to make centerpieces for the office party. Big hit; now I'm making dozens of them for coworkers.
Thanks, all!

Darryl Hazen
12-11-2008, 1:12 PM
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into this thread but, I have to relate a story about using patterns found in a 10 year old copy of Wood magazine. It involved tree ornaments of the 12 days of Christmas. I scanned them in and converted them to Corel vectors with the intent of selling them. My stepson in law is a patent attorney and he suggested they might be copyrighted. I contacted the legal department at the publisher. Their position is that you may only use the patterns for your personal use. Sale of anything produced from the patterns is a violation of the law.

My advice is let your conscience be your guide. They do have legal beagles who do nothing but surf the net looking for violators.

Tim Bateson
12-11-2008, 7:10 PM
Good advise Darryl, but not all of these deers are a direct copy from that old Wood magazine. There seems to be several sources, some with reproduction and sale rights. BerryBasket is one of these.

AL Ursich
12-11-2008, 8:21 PM
So the question is.... Who originally designed them and did the magazine compensate him or her.... Like the Ford Wiper delay and speed control movie.....

But that is what the Legal Teams do.... Protect the rights....

AL:rolleyes:

Jason Hubanks
01-18-2009, 3:34 PM
I would like to try making these deer but my software only lets me import Corel V8. Does anyone have this in a later version?
Thanks
Jason

Tim Bateson
01-18-2009, 7:23 PM
Here it is in Corel version 8

Jason Hubanks
01-18-2009, 8:26 PM
Thank you Tim

Ron Thompson
01-19-2009, 5:47 PM
Marc,

Could you post the plans for the "Santa sleigh to comparable size". My wife loves Christmas.

Ron Thompson

Ray Uebner
01-21-2009, 7:42 PM
Thanks TIm Great job, I will make a couple for the house.