PDA

View Full Version : Newlydraw - dongle / windows 98

Zachery Thomas
12-04-2008, 9:08 AM
Hi, I am trying to get Newlydraw to run on a Windows 98 system.

I installed the software and inserted the dongle, windows recognized a dongle and then popped up a box asking for HID (Human Interface Device) driver from the Win98 CD. I put the Windows CD in and it completed installation, or so it seemed.

The software will not load, 'no USB key' error.

In device manager it has a red X next to the USB device.

I tested it on an XP system in the office and it works ok, but the PC I use in the shop requires Windows 98 for other software.

Has anyone got Newlydraw to work on Windows 98, and if so was there a trick to getting the dongle to load drivers correctly?

Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2008, 9:17 AM
With other programs I have found that dongles made for xp will not work on 98 and vice versa. In most cases you can get a patch from the manufacturer of the dongle, possibly directly or through Newlydraw that will correct the problem.

Zachery Thomas
12-04-2008, 9:24 AM
It is supposed to work with Windows 98 or XP, and unfortunately the machine communication is tied to the software.

Don Gares
12-04-2008, 9:45 AM
As a general rule, for a USB to work with Windows 98, the OS must be 98 SE. I assume that yours is but if you don't have any other USB's working on the system that might well be the problem. If in fact, other USB's do work on your system then your OP is SE and the dongle should work.

Don

Zachery Thomas
12-04-2008, 9:56 AM
Don,

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes it is 98SE and I have other USB devices that work ok.

Regards.

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2008, 11:10 AM
It is supposed to work with Windows 98 or XP, and unfortunately the machine communication is tied to the software.
Yes, I should have said that whether or not it was supposed to work, it usually does not. Dongles are notoriously buggy for some reason. I have one here on a windows 98 machine that I still use for one program that's a parallel
port security key.

Zachery Thomas
12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Joe, you may be correct. I guess it's XP or nothing.

I'm guessing you have a parallel sentinel dongle for Graphix Advantage, same here.

Regards.

Joe Pelonio
12-04-2008, 1:00 PM
Yes, and it's worked well many years so no use spending $3k to upgrade!

Zachery Thomas
12-04-2008, 1:08 PM
Agreed. I even run a Gerber EDGE through mine (not recommended) and it works fine. If only this USB dongle were as easy!