PDA

View Full Version : I usually take 2 inches off the end of a board

Mitchell Andrus
12-04-2008, 9:07 AM
I usually take 2 inches off the end of a board

Not this time...... Drawer front, anyone????

Anthony Watson
12-04-2008, 10:43 AM
I've used boards like that when I need narrower strips for door or face frames. I can usually get a full length above and below the split.

Of course, if the board is long enough for your needs, you can just cut the split off... :)

Anthony

Dave Verstraete
12-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I use pieces like that for tops to the boxes I make for B-days and Christmas gifts.

Chris Padilla
12-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I see some tear-out above the body of the tape measure, too. ;) Just in case you ddin't notice that! haha :D

Looks like a board for the "I can't quite toss this thing because it may serve some purpose some day" pile.... :)

Paul Atkins
12-04-2008, 1:13 PM
However, the end of the board is where you cut it off. When do you quit?

Kevin Godshall
12-05-2008, 9:12 AM
Looks like a board for the "I can't quite toss this thing because it may serve some purpose some day" pile.... :)

Oh no.......... you mean I'm not the only person with one of these "piles"?

Steve Clardy
12-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Yep. I deal with that a lot.

Chip Lindley
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Rough lumber is an inexact medium at best. We expect much waste from #1 common. I have had more luck with *shorts* that did not grade! Some nice wide, but short boards. Cabinet making calls for lots of pieces 42"-32" or less.

If your board opened up after cutting through the knot, I suspect stresses were free to act, and the wood opened up. As mentioned before, these pieces are best ripped into narrow pieces instead of losing so much length.

I have found that planning my cuts on rough lumber for a project is NOT a no-brainer. I try to maximize usage of stock. Every board has its special place. Putting the puzzle together is the first rewarding experience in making a project come together, instead of gang ripping stock and chopping out defects as the big operations do. I am too respectful of nice hardwood (and too mizerly) to waste more than I absolutely must!

Larry Fox
12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
First foot of that board gets cut off and tossed into the burn pile for me. I see the 8" split, a knot and what looks to be another one starting in the top corner. After I cut it, I flex it a bit across it's width to see if I can see any more splitting starting.