PDA

View Full Version : So, you always wanted to build handsaws...Assembling the saw!

Alan DuBoff
12-04-2008, 8:49 AM
Ok, this is the time you start getting all anxious to get the saw put together, the parts are done, and it's starting to come together.

All the more time to take your time and make sure things go together correct. I never have got the ones together 100% perfect, but keep striving to get them more perfect than the time before. They are improving on fit/finish, so for that I can't complain.

1) the back on the blade showing how I chamfered the edges.

2) Securing the back

3) crimping the back

4) Assembled saw

Thanks for looking on! ;)

Dave Anderson NH
12-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Very nicely done Alan. That saw is a beauty. Is it 16 or 18"?

Alan DuBoff
12-04-2008, 2:57 PM
Very nicely done Alan. That saw is a beauty. Is it 16 or 18"?
Thanks Dave, it is 18" long, and 3" deep. It's a whopper!

Dave Anderson NH
12-04-2008, 3:55 PM
By the way you said in one of the other posts on the saw that you were struggling with fit and finish. Get used to it, it's the nature of the beast in both tools and furniture. I'm always struggling. I'm sure you're familiar with the law of unintended consequences where one little change to something effects a whole bunch of other things you wouldn't have expected it to. The measure of your skill (and your sense of frustration at times) is how successfully you deal with it.:D

Alan DuBoff
12-04-2008, 8:28 PM
By the way you said in one of the other posts on the saw that you were struggling with fit and finish. Get used to it, it's the nature of the beast in both tools and furniture. I'm always struggling. I'm sure you're familiar with the law of unintended consequences where one little change to something effects a whole bunch of other things you wouldn't have expected it to. The measure of your skill (and your sense of frustration at times) is how successfully you deal with it.:D
I can relate to the law of unintended consequences, sometimes not wanting to make a change thinking I'll cause a problem. But as everything in life, it does happen sometimes. The more I do it the better I get at overcoming some of those consequences, so that's the good thing...;)

I expect the same quality I would want for myself, so that is basically a perfect tool. Most of us know that there is no perfect tool, it's just waiting to meet it's moment of imperfection!

I really enjoy making saws, they are an important aspect of working wood by hand. I'm not nearly as good as folks like yourself, but with some persistence there could be hope for me. :rolleyes: