PDA

View Full Version : Nailgun Question

Mike Wellner
12-04-2008, 12:50 AM
I am not too familar with woodworking air tools even through I have used them, I do have a PC 175 PSI, with IR & bluepoint automotive air tools. I know theres a variety of types as crown, brad, finish, and I know theres a special nail gun for assembling picture frames, interesting tool.

If you were making furniture from dressers to bed frames, do you want brad or finish and what gauge?

How about small projects like lets say if you made a dollhouse for your niece, then what do you prefer, brad or finish? What gauge?

William OConnell
12-04-2008, 1:06 AM
I would say a 18 gauge gun that shoots up to 2" brads and a 23 gauge pin nailer.

Mike Wellner
12-04-2008, 1:18 AM
By the way what are some good Tiawanese/US made guns?
I would prefer to avoid PRC stuff as Makita has gone that route.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-04-2008, 1:43 AM
I've had great luck with Porter Cable guns. The old line is still sold at Home Depot. I like a 18ga and a 16ga. Never tried the 23ga pinner but for certain small assemblies it would be great to have one.

I didn't know Makita made a nail gun but when I searched it I found they beat out Paslode and Hitatchi. I have a lot of Makita tools and love them.

BTW, what's PRC?

Mike Wellner
12-04-2008, 2:15 AM
I would say a 16 gauge gun that shoots up to 2" brads and a 23 gauge pin nailer.

Looked up Amazon and Home Depot, I only see 16 guage finish and 18 gauge brad, whos correct?

Ken Milhinch
12-04-2008, 3:58 AM
Mike,

A finish nailer (usually 16g) is used for fixing door and window trim, whereas a brad nailer (usually 18g, but you can also get 16g) is the more suitable tool for furniture. For lighter work, or where you are fixing trim to furniture and dont want the larger nail holes to show a pin nailer is good (usually 23g).
Hope this clears it up.

William OConnell
12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Looked up Amazon and Home Depot, I only see 16 guage finish and 18 gauge brad, whos correct?

I'm sorry I meant to type 18 gauge.

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 11:30 AM
BTW, what's PRC?

Refers to mainland China, Kelly. "PRC" is short for People's Republic of China.