PDA

View Full Version : JET vs Powermatic

Paul Coffin
12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have the bug bad. I have been researching lathes for a couple of months now reading many posts here in the Turners forum. I havent turned wood since high school, I really liked it then and am pretty sure I would enjoy it now. About the only major tool my shop lacks is a nice lathe. I want to try and avoid the multiple lathe upgrades that seem to be very common in the threads here! I have narrowed my choices down to the Jet 1642-2EVS or the Mustard 3520B. I can get the jet for around $2000 and the 3520B for around $2900. I would like to get into bowl turning.
So, my questions are:
1)What if anything would I be giving up choosing one over the other?
2)The $850 saved on the Jet would help me start buying some of the additional tools that I would need, but what would I regret about not having purchased the 3520B?
3)Have any of you used both of these machines that can comment on their performance relative to each other?

Thanks for the help!
Paul

Ken Fitzgerald
12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Paul,

I haven't turned on the Jet 1642.

I have a PM3520B. I have a Jet VS Mini. They are both good machines.

The most obvious difference is 4" difference in turning diameter capability. And probably the weight difference.

There are a lot of happy owners of both here.

Mike Lipke
12-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I have the 1642 1.5 hp.
Love it.
When I bought it it was $1350 vs $2500.

I agonized as well. I have never even had the need to use the low range for more power. Love the reverse for sanding, and the VS.
YMMV.

Steve Schlumpf
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Paul - I have the Jet 1642-2EVS and love it! But... there have been a number of times where I wish I had some more swing! I debated for a long time over which lathe to get and went with the Jet because I figured I would never turn anything over 16". That and I had to take the lathe apart and move it into my basement shop. Knew it could be done with the Jet... wasn't quite so sure with the 3520B. The very first week I had my new lathe I needed to be able to turn 19" for a mirror frame! Ended up using a router... that hurt!

Something else to consider - the Jet will turn up to a little less than 16" actual size but that means you have to trim the blank to get it to spin across the ways. If you had a larger swing you could just turn it rough and not worry about clearance. But, that only applies if you turn fairly large chunks of wood. Also, I built a box under the lathe and added 7 bags of concrete to add to the weight. It helps!

Best of luck with your decision - it's a tough one! Look forward to seeing your gloat thread real soon!

Jon Lanier
12-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't know what the differences are... but if you decide to get one of each and favor one over the other, you can give me the one you don't want. :rolleyes:

alex carey
12-04-2008, 1:28 AM
Where did you find the 3520 for 2900$? I have never seen it at that price. I usually see it at 3400$ or more.

Norm Zax
12-04-2008, 3:20 AM
I also have my (twinkling) eye on the 1642. Think we'll get a Christmas price soon?

Mike Lipke
12-04-2008, 6:03 AM
Alex,
Several years ago

Paul Andrews
12-04-2008, 7:27 AM
Paul,
Never turned on a Jet but I am sure it is a fine machine but you are limiting your options to a max of a 15" project. The powermatic will give you 4" more over the ways, and for an additional $400 (which you can order later if needed) or so you can order the outboard turning stand that will increase your turning diameter to 34-35" or so.

Good luck with your decision.

john taliaferro
12-04-2008, 8:45 AM
turn on both then decide. same story i was hooked in school . time to get honest. aint nuthing like hanging with a bunch of 70 ish old guys sat morning. some of them aint right. johnt

Frank Kobilsek
12-04-2008, 9:01 AM
Paul,
I made the whole trip in less than 5 years; Jet Mini, 1642 then the 3520. May not have made the last upgrade as soon if not for my Dad stealling so much time on the 1642 so now its in his shop.

The HP, the swing and the weight of the 3520 all add to your comfort at the lathe more so than the ability to turn 16" plus. Face it a bowl blank over 16" is hard to find, cut and handle. Then there are not alot of uses for a bowl that big. I bought the 18" bed extention and tool post riser, in almost a year I have had a use for either so save that investment for another day.

The 1642 will satisfy 95% of your turning needs but If you can afford it buy the 3520 and don't look back.

Frank

Paul Coffin
12-04-2008, 9:24 AM
use microsoft cashback can net you a discount which is either about 20% up to a max of $200 dollars per each ebay "buy it now" purchase, so basically it will save you $200. Then you have to sit and watch the ebay stores, sometimes they drop the price below the standard $3399

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 9:40 AM
The Jet and PM have the same heritage...think of the Jet 1642 as the "baby sister" of the larger PM3520 machine. There are some other small differences, but a lot more similarities. The biggest difference would be capacity and mass. Both are excellent machines.

Jeff Morneault
12-04-2008, 9:47 AM
My vote is for the 3520b with bed extension and remote switch. I wanted to be able to turn large diameters and the powermatic allows me to do that. I bought it about a year after I caught the turning bug. Started with the Jet mini got hooked, upgraded to the 3520b and never looked back. Realisticly though, most of my bowls have been under 15 inches because big free wood is hard to find these days.

Jeffhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/_YRtOMG_tJAE/STfsrqeuTvI/AAAAAAAAASE/SoCnxoaUBCE/Large%20Blank_3520b.jpg

Jeff Morneault
12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
I bought my 3520b through Osolnik Machinery. https://www.osolnikmachinery.com/
I dealt directly with Joseph Osolnik. He's great to deal with and right now the lathe price is just under $3000. I even won a live center in a drawing I never realized I had entered through his site :)

Jeff

Derek Hansen
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I want a 3520B baaaaaad. I'm hoping to see some good deals in the next six months - I'd love to get it for below $2500.

Jim Kountz
12-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I have the Jet and I love it. I looked hard at the PM when I was buying and I couldnt justify the cost difference for just another 4" of swing and some weight................That was then, now I wish I had done it "just in case". Either way though I am very happy with the Jet and although I had some trouble when I first got it, all worked out and its a great machine as is the PM. If you can swing the PM Id say do it!

Clancy Courtney
12-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I considered the Jet 1642 2hp and the Powermatic 2 years ago. I chose the 3520B for these reasons:
1. it would hold its value better if I sell it
2. heavier machine
3. 20'' swing

Good luck

Harvey Schneider
12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
I have to start out by saying that I have never even seriously considered the PM3520. I have a Jet 1632 and love it. I bought it two years ago for about $1600. The difference between that and the 3520 will buy a lot of tools and bowl blanks.
While I can do house wiring myself, I like the fact that my Jet can plug into a 110V 20A circuit and is not tied to where the 220V drop is.
I have turned bowls as large as 15.5 inches, and yes I did have to cut it round on a bandsaw first.
I have heard a lot of people say they need more power, but even with fairly aggressive cutting on that 15.5 inch bowl (sycamore), I did not feel the lathe was underpowered.
There is an outboard turning stand for the Jet that will let you go beyond the 16" swing, but I am eying the hole pattern at the tail end of the bed with the idea of mounting a tool rest support to that.
Just my experience and opinions, Hope it is helpful
Harvey

Bruce McElhaney
12-04-2008, 4:27 PM
I went through the same process a few years ago and went with the PM 3520A. I'm been very satisified with my decision. the Jet seems similar just smaller and lighter. fine for turning all but very large items. At that time the price of the PM was $2200. While I'd rather have the newer 3520B version, the cost is out of line, IMO.

Paul Coffin
12-04-2008, 7:26 PM
I want a 3520B baaaaaad. I'm hoping to see some good deals in the next six months - I'd love to get it for below $2500.

If you find one for under $2500 Pleeeeeeeeas let me know where!

Derek Hansen
12-04-2008, 7:41 PM
If you find one for under $2500 Pleeeeeeeeas let me know where!

Am I dreaming? Just seems like given the state of things that we might see deals in the "pre-price hike" range.

Chris Haas
12-05-2008, 5:33 PM
ok, lets be honest, if you get the jet, which i have and love, you can get it along with any of these http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html and if you keep your eye open, you can find a free standing tool rest like this used http://www.toolking.com/jet-powermatic_708349.aspx because i personally think that is WAY too much money.

but seriously, i have turned on both, and the jet is just the little brother of the PM. the headstock slides the length of the bed so if you get the outboard stand your golden. besides a great lathe is a must, but what you really want is all the goodies to go along with it. go jet, go monster, go to your shop and turn some HF's.

George Guadiane
12-05-2008, 6:49 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have the bug bad.
Thanks for the help!
Paul
I would say that EITHER will keep you happy for a while, but even Steve Mentioned that he would like more swing from time to time.
If there is even a SMALL chance that you will want a bigger, more powerful lathe later, get the mustard, however, other than the horsepower and the swing, they have the same exact features and are made by the same company.
I have the PM3520A and it's only my second lathe. It's like the engine in your car, you may not need the extra power often, but it's nice to know you have it under the hood when you just HAVE to pass.

David Walser
12-05-2008, 6:56 PM
but seriously, i have turned on both, and the jet is just the little brother of the PM. the headstock slides the length of the bed so if you get the outboard stand your golden. ...

By sliding the headstock to the end of the bed, you can get as much capacity on the Jet as you can on the Powermatic. [Shoot, dig a hole in the ground and you can turn a bowl 32' (feet, not inches) in diameter!]

What sliding the headstock won't give you is the Powermatic's greater mass and horsepower. If you're going to turn large, the Powermatic's the better lathe. The extra mass will make a difference with out-of-balance blanks. (There's only so much you can do by adding balast to the lathe.) The extra horsepower will also come in handy. (Has anybody every had too much horsepower?)

None of this makes the Powermatic a better lathe than the Jet. It's just better for some turners (depending on their skills, desires, and budget). The Jet is better for some other turners.

Jon Lanier
12-05-2008, 7:21 PM
ok, lets be honest, if you get the jet, which i have and love, you can get it along with any of these http://www.monster-wood-tool.com/wst_page6.html and if you keep your eye open, you can find a free standing tool rest like this used http://www.toolking.com/jet-powermatic_708349.aspx because i personally think that is WAY too much money.

but seriously, i have turned on both, and the jet is just the little brother of the PM. the headstock slides the length of the bed so if you get the outboard stand your golden. besides a great lathe is a must, but what you really want is all the goodies to go along with it. go jet, go monster, go to your shop and turn some HF's.

You win! :D

Paul Coffin
12-05-2008, 9:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for your advice, today I am leaning towards the PM, partly because I work with a guy who has one, is extremely happy with it and has talked about it constantly since he found out I was looking. I am going to wait and see what happens to prices after christmas, maybe some dealers will be more flexible if they still have lathes in the store at that point.

mike fuson
12-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I have turned on both and own the 3520b, you will like the jet as long as you don't ever turn on the powermatic, cause then you won't like the jet. If you seriously want to turn then pay the extra bucks and next year you won't miss the money and you still have the yeller lathe that you really wanted to start off with.