PDA

View Full Version : spalted Birch HF "save"

Bill Bolen
12-03-2008, 9:06 PM
This gourd shaped spalted Birch HF is from the short end of the log that the previously posted "tall" piece came from. It had started to get punky but still turned well with sharp toolds. However, as I was turning through the tennon to remove it from the lathe the bottom just crumbled and pulled a hole right thorugh! Rather than pitch it I turned a Cherry plate and carved in four feet. Epoxied to the bottom and decided to try and finsih it. Glad I did. This little gourd vessel soaked up the poly like a sponge. Four coats before any gloss started to appear. Four more coats, wet sanded between coats and a buffing to complete it. 6"X 4 1/2". it proved to be a bigger pain to get it finished than it was to cut the tree down!....Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
12-03-2008, 9:54 PM
Beautiful piece and a great save William. Well worth the effort.

Steve Schlumpf
12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
William - always strange how on some pieces it takes longer to apply finish than it does to turn and sand it! The carved foot idea works as it lifts the vase and doesn't subtract from the outside curve! Glad you took the time to save it! Pretty wood - great finish!

Andrew Derhammer
12-04-2008, 3:48 PM
I like the form and craftsman ship, especially like the finish!

As a small critique, i'd have straightened the neck some, getting a small section that was straight and then flaring out quickly, I like to look at the human form in something like this, take the neck, than flare out to the shoulders, than transition down through the torso and legs, till ya get to the bottom and feet.