PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Workshop, Season 21 for 2009

John Gregory
12-03-2008, 5:08 PM
http://www.newyankee.com/2009.php

I guess Norm is recycling this year. Old programs with new introductions.

Alex Shanku
12-03-2008, 5:32 PM
That stinks.

Is Norm trolling all of us?

Norman Pyles
12-03-2008, 5:38 PM
I'm thinkin ol Norm has went and retired on us.

John Hixon
12-03-2008, 5:39 PM
In some circles, you are only as good as your last project. Norm isn't going to stay where he is by introducing re-runs.

Pat Germain
12-03-2008, 5:43 PM
No big deal for me. My local PBS station only recently began broadcasting the 2008 shows. But they didn't show it at all last weekend. :mad:

I can't blame Norm for wanting to take a break. Sheesh, he's been going strong for twenty straight years. I'm wiped out and ready to retire and Norm's older than I am.

Brian Effinger
12-03-2008, 9:00 PM
I would have liked to see him re-do these projects, and make changes if he felt they were necessary after all the years.

Dewey Torres
12-03-2008, 9:09 PM
I can't blame Norm for wanting to take a break. Sheesh, he's been going strong for twenty straight years. I'm wiped out and ready to retire and Norm's older than I am.

I agree with Pat. Heck even David Marks commended him for his stick to-it-tive-ness. These shows take 10-15 hours per day for a solid week to get the footage needed for 1 show.

Ya, I think he deserves a break or retirement. Either way , hell still be a legend.

Mark Patoka
12-04-2008, 8:43 AM
Didn't Norm hint in a magazine article from a year or two ago that he was looking at retiring in the near future from the show? Maybe the weaning process has begun.

Mike Sheppard
12-04-2008, 8:57 AM
PBS Detroit has not been showing Norm for some time, DIY has replaced woodworking shows with hours of "Cool Tools":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I would rather watch Norm and Dave reruns.
Does anyone watch Cool Tools?
Mike

Greg Sznajdruk
12-04-2008, 8:58 AM
Well that just ruined my Saturday morning I’ve seen every episode that is scheduled. Norm is the reason for me getting into woodworking. I hope that this is just one season we have to persevere and that Norm will be back in the fall with a new line up.

Greg

Anthony Anderson
12-04-2008, 9:24 AM
PBS Detroit has not been showing Norm for some time, DIY has replaced woodworking shows with hours of "Cool Tools":mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I would rather watch Norm and Dave reruns.
Does anyone watch Cool Tools?
Mike

Mike, I watch Cool Tools on DIY. The host is different, like he drinks 12 cups of coffee before he shoots for the camera. Someone needs to take about 6 of those cups of coffee away from him. When I first saw the show, the guy was very annoying to me. But I have since, gotten somewhat used to him. He doesn't seem to know a lot about tools, but I think he is more of a host/performer, than a tool expert. I think that is what the show is about though, introducing viewers to new tools/devices that come onto the market. I have certainly learned about tools/devices that I would have never known about, and that I will definitely buy. I was watching last night and I saw at least 3 or 4 things that were new to me, and that I am going to find locally, or online. Example, washing machine supply lines, also for sinks and toilets, that senses an immediate surge in water flow, and shuts the water off where the supply hose connects to the water source. I can't remember the name, but those would save major headaches if supply line burst when we are not at home. But yeah, I do agree, that he needs to tone it down a notch or two, but overall, I think he is doing pretty well. Regards, Bill

BOB OLINGER
12-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Concerning Cool Tools on DIY, I enjoy seeing the new tools, but don't enjoy what appears to be re-run on top of re-run.

Pat Germain
12-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Example, washing machine supply lines, also for sinks and toilets, that senses an immediate surge in water flow, and shuts the water off where the supply hose connects to the water source.

Those are cool, but they're not new. I first saw them installed in an episode of This Old House over ten years ago.

Consider Norm had been doing This Old House for awhile before New Yankee Workshop began. It's been a long run for Norm. If he wants to take it easy and go on a few cruises with his family, he has certainly earned it.

Anthony Anderson
12-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Those are cool, but they're not new. I first saw them installed in an episode of This Old House over ten years ago.

Consider Norm had been doing This Old House for awhile before New Yankee Workshop began. It's been a long run for Norm. If he wants to take it easy and go on a few cruises with his family, he has certainly earned it.

I didn't see that episode Pat. I am going to install those on the supply lines in our house.

I agree Norm has long deserved a break. I don't see how he has kept going this long. I still enjoy watching him though. If he can take a year or two off, and then come back refreshed and ready to go another 20 years, then I will be patient, and wait:). So enjoy your time off Norm. I will be ready to watch whenever you feel like returning. Best wishes, Bill (Like he will ever read this):)

Mike Langford
12-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I've noticed in recent NYW shows that whenever they show a close-up of Norm's hands he's shaking pretty bad.....Maybe he can't work the projects as before and this is his way of not showing his diminishing dexterity.

Sad to say, but it's probably time for the old master to retire........ :(

Brent Smith
12-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Whose to say that the show is coming to an end? A good idea would be for Norm to introduce his replacement (if he is planning on retirement) over the course of a few shows. Norm's the King of TV woodworking, but there's nothing wrong with some new blood moving up.

Does anyone have a name or a link for those water supply lines??

Mike Vermeil
12-05-2008, 4:45 PM
I've noticed in recent NYW shows that whenever they show a close-up of Norm's hands he's shaking pretty bad..... :(

I don't get a chance to watch him much anymore, but noticed the shaking last weekend when I watched a couple episodes. Not to start any bad vibes or rumors, but I hope all is well with his health.

Greg Hines, MD
12-05-2008, 4:48 PM
I have watched Norm for years, and will continue to, even if the episodes aren't new. Though, I will say, it would be uber-cool to have them do a series on his workshop projects. I would love to see some of the old projects, like the workbench, roll-around outfeed cabinet, or sharpening station.

Doc

Ryan Eldridge
12-05-2008, 5:36 PM
Does anyone have a name or a link for those water supply lines??

I believe they are the flood safe hoses,
http://www.watts.com/pro/whatsnew/whatsnew_floodsafe.asp

They work well for me I have them on my washing machine and had them all over on my old house.

Only problem with them is if you do not have a flow re stricter in your faucet they can trip falsely.

I also still enjoy the NYW and this old house episodes, I used to watch them with my Dad growing up on Saturdays, and I still watch them.

Chris Barnett
12-05-2008, 9:21 PM
They replaced all the woodworking shows here with Cool Tools (sales pitches only) don't watch here, and yard disasters or somewhat...don't watch that either. Glad I have my DVDs of David's and Norm's shows. Don't watch much of DIY now....too much trendy, no talent presentations.

Jim Kappel
12-05-2008, 9:51 PM
Norm is also the reason I found my interest in woodworking. I found his style and demeanor enjoyable to watch. I like his projects, especially the shop projects, which I find very useful in my own shop.

I've recorded about 8 VCR tapes of shows. Somewhere near 100+ episodes over the years. If Norm does indeed hang up the toolbelt anytime soon, I'm going to work extra hard to record any shows he airs.

David Keller NC
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
There's another possibility (unless someone here has inside information and knows differently). The 2008 season offered something very new to the NYW - a long series of shows on one project (a shop-built kitchen). Perhaps Abrams and Morash have something along those lines in mind, and it was necessary to completely finish the project before packaging the episodes for broadcast.

During the interview at AWFS, Norm said something about wanting to build another shop, and possibly another house. Wouldn't surprise me that those projects will be filmed and broadcast as NYW.

Pat Germain
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Interesting theory, David. It's a quite possible scenario.

Norm's last house was documented not on television, but in a book. It's a very good book. I've read it, but it was a borrowed copy. I wish I had bought my own copy before it went out of print. Shoot, I wish I had sent Norm a copy to sign for me!

I'm going to have to watch SMC to learn what's going on with NYW. It seems my PBS station is always a year behind in the episosdes. Maybe they get a discount this way.

David Keller NC
12-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Pat - Do you remember the title of that book? I'd be interested in getting a copy through my local public library.

Pat Germain
12-07-2008, 11:17 AM
David, the book is called Norm Abram's New House.

Interesting, I just checked on Amazon and they apparently have copies available both new and used through third-party vendors. Two of them want over $70 for a paperback! The used copies are only a few dollars.

Matt Ocel
12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
If I knew 1/2 of what Norm does, I'd have twice the Knoledge.

Colin Giersberg
12-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I have the book. It is a pretty good read, discussing the need for a new house. At first, Norm and his wife look at existing homes, and Norm doing what he does best, inspects the house his wife likes the most. He comes back to tell her that it would be better for him to build a new house. From there, it goes on about finding a location for the house, issues that they had to deal with, and building the house.
I would like to see Norm do a show on building this house. I realize that is probably impossible now that the house is several years old, but it would be nice to see.

Jim Becker
12-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I also have the "house" book but thought it was out of print.

Interestingly, the one thing I learned that was kewel is that they are also bird people...

Paul Girouard
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
. I realize that is probably impossible now that the house is several years old, but it would be nice to see.

I've got the book , I'd like to see a follow up of what they'd do differently.

I've said this before about Norm , he's a damned fine carpenter first and he's improved every aspect of his trade. He's "grown" as a W/Wer along the path.

I'd sure like to meet the guy someday.

Brian Effinger
12-07-2008, 12:13 PM
If anyone is looking for this book, try here: http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Abram,%20Norm
I've ordered here before, and it is a good site for cheap used books.

Luther Oswalt
12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I have Norm's book and my wife said she had never seen me read a book nor had she seen me read it every where I went! He is a great role model for anyone!
Leo

Rolf Maxa
12-07-2008, 1:09 PM
I would hate to see the show end, I love watching him make his projects. I know that after a while you need to pack it in. It would be nice if he could transition the NYW to a new woodworker. Norm's shows helped me get into woodworking, it will be a sad day when he retires.:confused:

Pat Germain
12-07-2008, 7:39 PM
I've got the book , I'd like to see a follow up of what they'd do differently.

I don't recall where, but I read about Norm saying guests to his house always go to the side door instead of the front door. That's one design issue he said he'd change. (This might have been at the end of the book. I read it over ten years ago.)

What I find especially interesting about Norm is although he appreciates older homes, he acknowledges their problems. More than once I've heard him remark, "When people say 'They don't build 'em like they used to', I reply, 'And it's a good thing they don't". While some features of older homes included fine craftsmanship, they also included methods that promoted rot and uneven settling.

I learned about problems with old homes first hand when my family tried to renovate a 100 year old farmhouse. Yes, we tried, but it was an exercise in futility. That house would have best been used as a hey barn.