PDA

View Full Version : Walnut an dyeing sapwood

Craig D Peltier
12-03-2008, 4:43 PM
I have a question about Walnut. The finisher I use sprays lacquer. when there is an area he needs to blend he will add a Transtint dye or another one I think called Bellam for his black.
My question is , lets hypothetically speak here, half of table is sap other half heart. If the area that is sap is tinted to heart color, will it fade horribly different?
If you say yes or partially do you speak from seeing it in pics or your own eyes?

Thank you

Steve Schoene
12-03-2008, 10:55 PM
I've seen changes, but I don't know how to qualify it as horribly. It's not an immediate thing but occurs over a period of years, so perceptions may differ. But, I don't have large sapwood areas, only a few areas where I have mistakenly planed into sapwood. I try to leave the sapwood in the scrap barrel in almost all cases.

Jim Becker
12-04-2008, 9:35 AM
One consideration is that walnut get's lighter over time, so a "match" today on the sap through tinting/toning is going to be different down the road. If you are going to include sap in the project with air dried walnut, it may be better to just embrace the differences in the design or partially mitigate with the understanding that there will still be visible differentiation between the sap and heart over time.

Michael Pyron
12-07-2008, 2:01 PM
my father used magnesium permanganate applied directly to the sap area as a stain....it appeared to have worked very good...

http://www.woodfinishingenterprises.com/techinfo.html