PDA

View Full Version : So, you always wanted to build handsaws...Foley Retoother!

Alan DuBoff
12-03-2008, 3:57 PM
Ok, this is not directly related to woodworking, but there has been a lot of discussion about building handsaws and a Foley retoother is your friend in that regard. This equipment is very funky, in design, the architect must have had his head on sideways or something...

Essentially you have a carrier, which is a bar that has some cross plates which the blade is attached to, and a ratchet is attached to the opposite side of the bar, which gets ratcheted by the Foley equipment.

Most all of the Foley handsaw equipment uses these carriers and ratchets. The ratchets will do more than one size in some cases, and you adjust the knob to dial in the amount of teeth you would like it to advance. This allows you to use these ratchets interchangeably to cut any size tooth from about 4 ppi up to 16 ppi (16 ppi is the smallest teeth the Foley supports but Mike Wenzloff has reported that someone has done 17 ppi before with a custom ratchet). With a proper gear cutting machine you could make the ratchets, but I'm not going down that rat hole, I have a complete set of ratchets that I have gathered off ebay, along with a few retoothers.

EDIT: you need multiple ratchets, there's about 9 or 10 in total.

The retoother is the most valuable machine of all the Foley equipment, I see little value for most folks in the filer and/or power setters. Although, there is merit to the power setter if you set a LOT of saws at once. Also, the filer is rumored not to work well on smaller teeth.

Here's some pics.

From left to right,

1) How the gages and blade attach to the carrier. EDIT: in the picture I am showing a blade that has been toothed already, but it is the flat side on top which will get stamped as it goes through the foley.

2) How the ratchet attaches to the opposite side of the carrier. You can see the gages next to the carrier, they clip on the carrier bar to adjust the saw plate.

3) The ratchet advance on the retoother.

4) The results. EDIT: this is how the blade comes out of the Foley, with the cut teeth on top.

I have galleries of each of these "So you always wanted to build handsaws..." threads I've been posting, but want to keep some of it intact on SMC for the future.

Tony Zaffuto
12-03-2008, 4:04 PM
OK Alan,

It's time for us to work out some trades--you know the kind, piece of brass or steel for some re-toothing, etc.!

T.Z.

Alan DuBoff
12-03-2008, 4:19 PM
It's time for us to work out some trades--you know the kind, piece of brass or steel for some re-toothing, etc.! Well, those that know me will tell you that I'm a bartering type guy! I hope I don't end up with a sign that says, "will work for bronze".:o (convenient for your biz, a tax writeoff...;))

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 8:22 AM
Here is a YouTube video I posted a little over a year ago of me running mine ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeLXXwxRek

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 8:33 AM
, I see little value for most folks in the filer and/or power setters. Although, there is merit to the power setter if you set a LOT of saws at once. Also, the filer is rumored not to work well on smaller teeth.

If you are setting a bunch at a time...your hand just gets cramped. MOST guys would not want a saw that was not handset and hand filed (My electric saw filer is just a place to hang my coat)

Alan DuBoff
12-04-2008, 9:22 AM
Darren,

Welcome fellow saw nut!

Always good to see other saw fanatics coming around.

Yeah, that Foley stuff is not good for much, but the retoother is valuable.;)

Even it is finicky and I'm learning to always run a test before stamping your blade. The adjustments are just crapola, both side pivot. I'm experimenting to set the thing by always having the left side pushed one way, to see if that will make it easier to adjust.

How about the on/off switch...it had to of been designed by Rube Goldberg, the way the rod goes under the base to flip the on/off switch at the motor, what were they thinking?

Even the carrier gages, you can do the same thing by just turning the carrier upside down on a piece of 3/4" wood, and drop the blade down to the surface...the gages are finicky also...

Daren K Nelson
12-04-2008, 9:28 AM
How about the on/off switch...it had to of been designed by Rube Goldberg, the way the rod goes under the base to flip the on/off switch at the motor, what were they thinking?

:rolleyes: I hear ya'...if you watch the video you can see I did away with that rod. I just reach over the machine and hit the switch.